Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Enjoy your festive meal and don't eat too little.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-26 10:22 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
>
> Enjoy your festive meal and don't eat too little.

Ditto... Happy Turkey Day down there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
>
> Enjoy your festive meal and don't eat too little.

Back at ya Shelly!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 9:22:55 AM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
>
> Enjoy your festive meal and don't eat too little.

Have a fabulous day and here's a card for you.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...ode=YS11737049

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Pretty standard stuff here today.

Sure, some frogging, a bit of woman-stalking, sauce it up with lies,
denials and deflections - the usual fare really.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanksgiving Recap (WAS: GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE)

On 11/26/2015 10:22 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
>
> Enjoy your festive meal and don't eat too little.

Happy Belated US Thanksgiving!

A tad late in my reply but I did eat "too little". Huge portions aren't
my thing, but that wasn't the reason.

By the time I was done cooking everything I had very little appetite.
That happens from time to time. I roasted a chicken this year. It was
a 5 lb. bird I bought on sale a while back and had stashed in the
freezer. (And yes, I remembered to take it out to thaw in the fridge
days before.)

I seasoned the bird inside & out with course salt & cracked pepper. I
roasted it at 325°F on a rack in a roasting pan. I brushed/basted the
skin with melted butter seasoned with dried thyme and sage. I made
cornbread dressing. I roasted a butternut squash which I seasoned very
lightly with tarrgon. The scents in the kitchen were heavenly!

Then... I just wasn't hungry. I had a wing & a bit of dressing and
squash, that was it.

BTW, that was the best chicken wing I've ever tasted. The skin on
the bird was crispy and flavourful. The meat was very moist.

My test methods for the chicken were old fashioned. At just over 3
hours, I started checking. When the wings easily wiggled and the
drumstick would have easily pulled away from the body and when the
breast was pricked with a fork and the juices ran clear... done! Call
me a Luddite, the bird turned out great and I didn't need an app to cook
it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 08:37:55 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> My test methods for the chicken were old fashioned. At just over 3
> hours, I started checking. When the wings easily wiggled and the
> drumstick would have easily pulled away from the body and when the
> breast was pricked with a fork and the juices ran clear... done! Call
> me a Luddite, the bird turned out great and I didn't need an app to cook
> it.

Why the hell would you need an app for that? Crank up the oven to a
decent heat and a 5 lb bird will cook in 1.5 hrs.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 08:37:55 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> My test methods for the chicken were old fashioned. At just over 3
>> hours, I started checking. When the wings easily wiggled and the
>> drumstick would have easily pulled away from the body and when the
>> breast was pricked with a fork and the juices ran clear... done! Call
>> me a Luddite, the bird turned out great and I didn't need an app to cook
>> it.

> Why the hell would you need an app for that? Crank up the oven to a
> decent heat and a 5 lb bird will cook in 1.5 hrs.

True dat!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2015 2:02 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 08:37:55 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> My test methods for the chicken were old fashioned. At just over 3
>> hours, I started checking. When the wings easily wiggled and the
>> drumstick would have easily pulled away from the body and when the
>> breast was pricked with a fork and the juices ran clear... done! Call
>> me a Luddite, the bird turned out great and I didn't need an app to cook
>> it.

> Why the hell would you need an app for that? Crank up the oven to a
> decent heat and a 5 lb bird will cook in 1.5 hrs.

Oh good lord. Lost the ability to laugh, have you?

I wasn't in any hurry and I was also timing/cooking dressing and squash
which I wanted to be done coinciding with the chicken. I didn't want
fast and hot cooked chicken. I wanted juicy, slow roasted chicken.
That's exactly what I got.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:41:32 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 11/29/2015 2:02 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 08:37:55 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> My test methods for the chicken were old fashioned. At just over 3
> >> hours, I started checking. When the wings easily wiggled and the
> >> drumstick would have easily pulled away from the body and when the
> >> breast was pricked with a fork and the juices ran clear... done! Call
> >> me a Luddite, the bird turned out great and I didn't need an app to cook
> >> it.

> > Why the hell would you need an app for that? Crank up the oven to a
> > decent heat and a 5 lb bird will cook in 1.5 hrs.
> >

> Oh good lord. Lost the ability to laugh, have you?
>
> I wasn't in any hurry and I was also timing/cooking dressing and squash
> which I wanted to be done coinciding with the chicken. I didn't want
> fast and hot cooked chicken. I wanted juicy, slow roasted chicken.
> That's exactly what I got.

Maybe I should have gone on and on about how I don't use an oven and
question why anyone would want to use an oven when fire works just as
well.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:41:32 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2015 2:02 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Why the hell would you need an app for that? Crank up the oven to a
>>> decent heat and a 5 lb bird will cook in 1.5 hrs.
>>>

>> Oh good lord. Lost the ability to laugh, have you?
>>
>> I wasn't in any hurry and I was also timing/cooking dressing and squash
>> which I wanted to be done coinciding with the chicken. I didn't want
>> fast and hot cooked chicken. I wanted juicy, slow roasted chicken.
>> That's exactly what I got.
>>

> Maybe I should have gone on and on about how I don't use an oven and
> question why anyone would want to use an oven when fire works just as
> well.

Aha!

I always suspected you might have been using a horno!

http://primitiveways.com/adobe_horno.html

Just remember NOT to use pinon wood when cooking!

;-)