Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spanish rice with cloves? What are the roots of this recipe?

This was my mother's old recipe for Spanish rice. I confirmed it by
finding it on the web - but only by searching for "spanish rice" "remove
cloves".

My mother is dead, and the contact form for the author of the web site does
not work.

What would be the roots of this recipe? It isn't in Better HOmes and
Garden, nor Betty Crocker.

Is it Spanish? Creole? Where did the idea of adding cloves to a recipe
made from condensed tomato soup come from? Which ingredient came first -
the condensed soup, or the cloves?

http://www.lynnescountrykitchen.net/...anishrice.html

INGREDIENTS
4 slices bacon
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup minced green pepper
2 cans (2-1/2 cups) condensed tomato soup
4 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup uncooked rice

Cook bacon until crisp in a large skillet; remove from pan and break into
bits. Add

onion and pepper to bacon drippings in pan and cook until soft.

Add bacon bits and remaining ingredients; cover and cook slowly 30 minutes,
stirring

occasionally. Remove cloves and bay leaf; serve hot.

Makes 4 servings

My mother's recipe, which otherwise has exactly half quantities of above,
also calls for 4 slices of bacon.

--
Yours,
Dora Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It came from Better Homes and Gardens! New cookbook, p 174. It's the
current edition. I just bought it (replacing my old one). It's in the
lower right corner of the page, under company spanish rice.

I didn't find it there last night because I couldn't find page 174. The
pages must have been stuck together. It;s teh looseleaf binder edition, so
I was about to request a lookup from someone who has page 174.

Spanish-rice Skillet

4 slices bacon
1 cup chopped onion.
1/4 cup chopped greenpepper
2 10 1/2 or 11 oz cans condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup water
4 whole cloves ****
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt

Cut bacon in small pieces, fry until crisp in heavy skillet, remove bacon.

Cook onion and green pepper in bacon fat until golden. Add remaining
ingredients, cover tightly and cook slowly 50 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Remove cloves and bay leaf; sprinkle crisp bacon over top. Makes 5 - 6-
servings.

So now that we know where my mother got it, where did it really come from?

--
Yours,
Dora Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora Smith" > wrote in message

> It came from Better Homes and Gardens! New cookbook, p 174. It's the
> current edition. I just bought it (replacing my old one). It's in the
> lower right corner of the page, under company spanish rice.

> So now that we know where my mother got it, where did it really come from?
> Dora Smith

Maybe a newspaper article?

The cuisine of Spain isn't homogenous across the country. It's quite a bit
different in the Basque region. Maybe google for some Basque recipes and see
if unexpected spices show up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora Smith wrote:
> This was my mother's old recipe for Spanish rice. I confirmed it by
> finding it on the web - but only by searching for "spanish rice" "remove
> cloves".

Didn't Barb Schaller write about her Czech cousins putting a clove
studded onion in the bottom of the pot when preparing rice?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Dora Smith wrote:
> > This was my mother's old recipe for Spanish rice. I confirmed it by
> > finding it on the web - but only by searching for "spanish rice" "remove
> > cloves".
> >

> Didn't Barb Schaller write about her Czech cousins putting a clove
> studded onion in the bottom of the pot when preparing rice?

She did.
And cloves are not unheard of where tomatoes are involved.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic