Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what are the roots of serving chili with rice?

On 8/28/2011 2:51 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> My informal survey of local folk over the age of 70 shows that about 70%
> of them will have two specific items for breakfast - hot oatmeal cereal
> and papaya. It's a rather surprising observation. This is probably good
> news for papaya growers and oatmeal producers. Anyway, it appears to be
> an example of a spontaneous focus on eating two specific foods. How this
> happens is a mystery.

It sounds as though oatmeal and papaya are easy, inexpensive, and tasty.
Older people tend to gravitate toward all three of those qualities.
I will eat oatmeal but am not crazy about it w/o butter and maple syrup
or brown sugar. Hawaiian papaya, however, is delicious and if I could
get good ones, I'd eat it every day, too.

When our older grandson was ~18 months I had introduced him to
cantaloupe and he loved it. We all went to Kauai for a few weeks and
couldn't find good melon. I bought papaya instead and he accepted it
without a fuss. It was delicious.

gloria p