Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what are the roots of serving chili with rice?

Storrmmee > wrote:

>like i said earlier, this is poor peoples food, you grew up in a military
>household officer's pay would allow for not doing it, and if you think of
>gumbo which in my opinion is a relative of chili you can see the validity of
>it... anything you could use potatoes or pasta for rice cn generally
>substitute, if your chili is tastey but hot slip some rice under and it is
>perfect, Lee

My dad was an officer and we still ate chili and rice.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

which meant your family knew how to budget, how to provide cheap nutrients,
and they probably used their money for more sensible things, Lee
"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
>
>>like i said earlier, this is poor peoples food, you grew up in a military
>>household officer's pay would allow for not doing it, and if you think
>>of
>>gumbo which in my opinion is a relative of chili you can see the validity
>>of
>>it... anything you could use potatoes or pasta for rice cn generally
>>substitute, if your chili is tastey but hot slip some rice under and it
>>is
>>perfect, Lee

> My dad was an officer and we still ate chili and rice.
>

> S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Storrmmee > wrote:

>which meant your family knew how to budget, how to provide cheap nutrients,
>and they probably used their money for more sensible things, Lee

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> My dad was an officer and we still ate chili and rice.

Well he got a field commisssion. He never went to Officer School.
So we were half-breeds.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lol, so he never forgot his roots, you children were/are probably better for
it, knowing what ones roots are keeps one grounded, i never forget how poor
dh and i were when we started out, keeps my spending and "i wants" firmly in
check because i know how much just a few bucks can be in survival, Lee