Posted to rec.food.cooking
jab jab is offline

Default Baking Soda vs Baking Powder

I have been lurking around this group for a few weeks now and then. I
used to like baking until my mom finally made me clean up afterwards.
Haven't really baked since and that was over 40 years ago.

This question may have been around in the past when I wasn't lurking,
but there is something I always wanted to know. Why is baking SODA sold
in a BOX and baking POWDER sold in a CAN?

JAB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jab > wrote:

> I have been lurking around this group for a few weeks now and then. I
> used to like baking until my mom finally made me clean up afterwards.
> Haven't really baked since and that was over 40 years ago.
>
> This question may have been around in the past when I wasn't lurking,
> but there is something I always wanted to know. Why is baking SODA sold
> in a BOX and baking POWDER sold in a CAN?
>
> JAB

Baking Soda and Baking Powder have two totally different applications.

I suggest you do some googling.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jab" > wrote in message ...
>I have been lurking around this group for a few weeks now and then. I used to
>like baking until my mom finally made me clean up afterwards. Haven't really
>baked since and that was over 40 years ago.
>
> This question may have been around in the past when I wasn't lurking, but
> there is something I always wanted to know. Why is baking SODA sold in a BOX
> and baking POWDER sold in a CAN?
>
> JAB

My guess is that baking soda will not react with the change in ambient humidity.
Since baking powder carries its own reagents (acid) when moistened a chain
reaction can take place and ruin the leavening power of the mixture.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jab" > wrote in message ...
>I have been lurking around this group for a few weeks now and then. I used
>to like baking until my mom finally made me clean up afterwards. Haven't
>really baked since and that was over 40 years ago.
>
> This question may have been around in the past when I wasn't lurking, but
> there is something I always wanted to know. Why is baking SODA sold in a
> BOX and baking POWDER sold in a CAN?
>
> JAB

Chemistry - plain and simple.
Baking soda is not hydroscopic (does not absorb moisture from the
atmosphere).
Baking powder does and without proper packaging has the shelf life of a
pretzel in a beer garden.

Ken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Abe" > wrote in message
> >Chemistry - plain and simple.
>>Baking soda is not hydroscopic (does not absorb moisture from the
>>atmosphere).

> Correction - It's hyGroscopic, not hydDroscopic

Ayup.
Thanks.
Ken.