Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Couple Good Indian Recipe Sites

Hello all,

I have been on an Indian cooking spree this year since my significant
other got me some Indian spices and condiments for Christmas. I've
been wanting to cook Indian for some time. Despite the fact that the
majority of people I talk to here in Topeka say that Indian is the
most god-aweful thing they have ever eaten in their lives (that is,
until I give them some of my Kim-Chee , I like it a lot. Thus far,
I have fixed Tandoori chicken (which did NOT turn out the way I had
hoped -- the flavor was nice, but texture was not what I expected) and
Mutter Paneer, which did turn out very nicely. On tommorow's agenda
are Rogan Josh, cardamom basmati rice with apricots and slivered
almonds, and chapatis.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple of non-commercial web-sites
which I have encountered while reading up on Indian cuisine online.
They are http://chachiskitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Indian and
http://www.route79.org/journal/ . Both provide a pictoral depiction
of recipes, which I really like.

Related to this, I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions
for sites like these where a recipe is depicted pictorially? I really
like that format since I sometimes have trouble visualizing (or
perhaps worry over-much) about the way a recipe is looking at any
particular stage.

Also, I was just curious -- does *anyone* out there like Indian
food????? Seems over a billion people couldn't be wrong. <G>

Believer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Believer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been on an Indian cooking spree this year since my significant
> other got me some Indian spices and condiments for Christmas. I've
> been wanting to cook Indian for some time. Despite the fact that the
> majority of people I talk to here in Topeka say that Indian is the
> most god-aweful thing they have ever eaten in their lives (that is,
> until I give them some of my Kim-Chee , I like it a lot. Thus far,
> I have fixed Tandoori chicken (which did NOT turn out the way I had
> hoped -- the flavor was nice, but texture was not what I expected) and
> Mutter Paneer, which did turn out very nicely. On tommorow's agenda
> are Rogan Josh, cardamom basmati rice with apricots and slivered
> almonds, and chapatis.
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple of non-commercial web-sites
> which I have encountered while reading up on Indian cuisine online.
> They are http://chachiskitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Indian and
> http://www.route79.org/journal/ . Both provide a pictoral depiction
> of recipes, which I really like.
>
> Related to this, I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions
> for sites like these where a recipe is depicted pictorially? I really
> like that format since I sometimes have trouble visualizing (or
> perhaps worry over-much) about the way a recipe is looking at any
> particular stage.
>
> Also, I was just curious -- does *anyone* out there like Indian
> food????? Seems over a billion people couldn't be wrong. <G>
>
> Believer

I am increasingly into Indian food after a hiatus of many
years. (I cooked it altogether too much.)

I have loads of sites, but I have not concentrated on finding
ones with photos. Would a photo of the finished product suffice?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 10:57 pm, "Believer" > wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have fixed Tandoori chicken (which did NOT turn out the way I had
> hoped -- the flavor was nice, but texture was not what I expected)

I have also tried it a couple of times and I think the texture problem
is that most of us don't have a tandoori oven handy. http://
www.woodstone-corp.com/products_tandoor_3636.htm .

(Maybe a hint for next christmas?

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Believer > wrote:

> Related to this, I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions
> for sites like these where a recipe is depicted pictorially?

Here is a large list of Indian food blogs, many with pictures.

<http://thecookscottage.typepad.com/curry/2005/11/more_indian_foo.html>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>, "Believer" > wrote:
>I have been on an Indian cooking spree this year [...]
>I have fixed Tandoori chicken (which did NOT turn out the way I had
>hoped -- the flavor was nice, but texture was not what I expected) and
>Mutter Paneer, which did turn out very nicely. On tommorow's agenda
>are Rogan Josh, cardamom basmati rice with apricots and slivered
>almonds, and chapatis.

[snip]
>Also, I was just curious -- does *anyone* out there like Indian
>food????? Seems over a billion people couldn't be wrong. <G>

How can *anyone* NOT like it? :-)

Having spent 3 months in southern India in mid-life, I've been pining
for decent Indian food for the past 20 years! Nothing I've found here
in Oz approaches the real thing IME. Probably a lot to do with how
the ingredients are handled (the sequence for adding spices at the
correct stage of cooking springs to mind) and, as someone else
suggested, the physics of the stoves and ovens.

I've never managed to find or prepare omelettes the way they were done
in just about every breakfast dive in Madhya Pradesh. Simply
delicious! (Any southern Indians out there willing to divulge the
secrets of making them? :-)

Of course, from my POV a large part of the problem in attempting to
recreate the authentic "Indian experience" is that it's probably
nearly impossible to achieve cooking for one -- too many fiddly side
dishes to serve in small quantities as garnishes for what is
essentially a meal of steamed rice. AFAICR, there were usually four
to six little bowls [built into the individual serving "trays" in most
cases] of assorted yummy (and bloody spicy!) stuff to flavour the
rice. I can still hear a colleague (Indian) who accompanied me at one
stage, intoning "More rice" to the waiter halfway through a meal. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 10:57 pm, "Believer" > wrote:
> Hello all,
> Also, I was just curious -- does *anyone* out there like Indian
> food????? Seems over a billion people couldn't be wrong. <G>
>
> Believer

http://www.angithi.com/recipysite/index.asp
http://www.gadnet.com/recipes.htm
http://www.rupenrao.com/rlist.asp?cid=2