Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A couple of different thoughts here; steaks: what's good, and not so good

All steaks need to be dry cooked; not always though.
1. The worst cut in the world: Eye of round. What do you do with it? I do mine over dry heat; meaning not over a grill, but in a pan. It's important to use lots of fat. Sometimes, depending on where the steak is cut from, the steak can be very edible. The eye of round I think is one muscle, but that muscle has spots which are more tender than others.
2. Rib eye; enough said. Don't mistake a rib steak for a rib eye. The rib eye is a muscle that's taken from the center of the rib steak. I don't like rib steak. I do however love prime rib roast.
3. Tenderloin. The best part of the tenderloin is cut from the center. The ends are good. The whole cut must be stripped from the silver skin.
4. Inside round: Another chewy thing. It's edible as is, but a good Frenching doesn't hurt.
5. Top Sirloin: Very good, but there is gristle in there and one needs to know what it looks like in order to remove before cooking.
6. Outside Round: No thanks. That cut is only good for braising. Never mind the dry heat crap.
7. Of course the whole loin is good: Rib steak(so so), T-Bone, Porterhouse, Strip loin(aka New York Sirloin).
8. Flank steak: Never had it, although I've been assured its good when cooked quickly to medium rare and sliced across the grain.
9. Hanger Steaks: Never had them, but correct me I'm wrong, this steak comes from the chuck eye.
10. Skirt steak? WTF is that? I sometimes wonder if it's part of the flank steak?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 12:09:06 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> 9. Hanger Steaks: Never had them, but correct me I'm wrong, this steak comes from the chuck eye.
> 10. Skirt steak? WTF is that? I sometimes wonder if it's part of the flank steak?

Both of those are delicious.

Hanger, hanging tender, onglet (in French).
This long, narrow muscle hangs off the kidney over the plate; hence
the name. It's also called butcher's steak because some butchers
apparently would keep it for themselves before it became popular.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanger_steak

Skirt.
This cut is also labeled as fajita meat in this country because of its
common use in Tex-Mex cooking. There is an inside skirt and an
outside skirt. The outside skirt is the diaphragm muscle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
[...]

--------------------

11. Tube steak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.toronto,can.politics

On 6/8/2014 1:09 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> All steaks need to be dry cooked; not always though.

Shut up Nazi, no one wants to hear one more word from you.

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Moose in Love View Post
[...]
http://beeflexible.xtopoly.com/app/a...Cuts_Chart.pdf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:
> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> All steaks need to be dry cooked; not always though.
> 1. The worst cut in the world: Eye of round. What do you do with
> it? I do mine over dry heat; meaning not over a grill, but in a pan.
> It's important to use lots of fat. Sometimes, depending on where the
> steak is cut from, the steak can be very edible. The eye of round I
> think is one muscle, but that muscle has spots which are more tender
> than others. 2. Rib eye; enough said. Don't mistake a rib steak for a
> rib eye. The rib eye is a muscle that's taken from the center of the rib
> steak. I don't like rib steak. I do however love prime rib roast.
> 3. Tenderloin. The best part of the tenderloin is cut from the
> center. The ends are good. The whole cut must be stripped from the
> silver skin. 4. Inside round: Another chewy thing. It's edible as is,
> but a good
> Frenching doesn't hurt.
> 5. Top Sirloin: Very good, but there is gristle in there and one
> needs to know what it looks like in order to remove before cooking.
> 6. Outside Round: No thanks. That cut is only good for braising. Never
> mind the dry heat crap.

Most of the above are good roasts but should never be used as steaks.

> 7. Of course the whole loin is good: Rib steak(so so), T-Bone,
> Porterhouse, Strip loin(aka New York Sirloin).
> 8. Flank steak: Never had it, although I've been assured its good
> when cooked quickly to medium rare and sliced across the grain.

Flank is good but hanger is more tender.

> 9. Hanger Steaks: Never had them, but correct me I'm wrong, this
> steak comes from the chuck eye.
> 10. Skirt steak? WTF is that? I sometimes wonder if it's part of
> the flank steak?

Hanger and Skirt are the same, and it's from the belly, hanging loosely
below the flank AFAIK.

> 11. Tube steak.

I never heard of it, except as slang for a male organ.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/14, 11:21 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

>> 9. Hanger Steaks: Never had them, but correct me I'm wrong, this
>> steak comes from the chuck eye

> Hanger and Skirt are the same, and it's from the belly, hanging loosely
> below the flank AFAIK.

No, they're not. The hanger looks like a piece of thick rope, about a
foot long. Two per cow, which is why they're pretty hard to come by,
especially now that American chefs have discovered them. 8;(

Skirt and flat iron look quite similar.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 23:21:10 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:
>

> > 9. Hanger Steaks: Never had them, but correct me I'm wrong, this
> > steak comes from the chuck eye.
> > 10. Skirt steak? WTF is that? I sometimes wonder if it's part of
> > the flank steak?

> Hanger and Skirt are the same, and it's from the belly, hanging loosely
> below the flank AFAIK.

They're from a similar area underneath the animal, but they are NOT
the same. In fact, they are quite different even visually.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 23:21:10 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> > wrote:
> >

> > > 9. Hanger Steaks: Never had them, but correct me I'm wrong, this
> > > steak comes from the chuck eye.
> > > 10. Skirt steak? WTF is that? I sometimes wonder if it's part of
> > > the flank steak?

> > Hanger and Skirt are the same, and it's from the belly, hanging
> > loosely below the flank AFAIK.
> >

> They're from a similar area underneath the animal, but they are NOT
> the same. In fact, they are quite different even visually.

I guess that's so before trimming, but after the butcher gets done with them
I can't tell the difference.

Once I bought an untrimmed hanger steak but I never saw an untrimmed skirt
steak.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 23:43:08 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> Skirt and flat iron look quite similar.

I don't think they do, but I would say skirt and flap look similar.
Similar, not alike.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/s...-grilling.html

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 8, 2014 6:40:18 PM UTC-4, nazi hunter wrote:
> On 6/8/2014 1:09 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> > All steaks need to be dry cooked; not always though.

> Shut up Nazi, no one wants to hear one more word from you.

Is it safe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,can.politics,can.general,uk.politics.misc

On 6/11/2014 1:05 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> Shut up Nazi, no one wants to hear one more word from you.
>> >

> Is it safe?

Shut up Nazi, no one wants to hear one more word from you.

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love > wrote in
:

> All steaks need to be dry cooked; not always though.
> 1. The worst cut in the world: Eye of round. What do you do with
> it? I do mine over dry heat; meaning not over a grill, but in a pan.

http://kitchenrestaurantstore.com/no...-p-120211.html
Then you fry it, floured or not, in very hot oil.

> 8. Flank steak: Never had it, although I've been assured its good
> when cooked quickly to medium rare and sliced across the grain.

It is great "when cooked quickly to medium rare and sliced across the
grain." It has an unusual flavor.

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts