Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe Redux 1959

Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:

> 3 12 cups soft rye-bread crumbs
> (a mix of large and small pieces, without caraway seeds)
> 12 teaspoon caraway seeds

Does anyone else see the irony of this part?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007 06:35:51 -0800, Jude wrote:
>
> > Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:
> >
> >> 3 12 cups soft rye-bread crumbs
> >> (a mix of large and small pieces, without caraway seeds)
> >> 12 teaspoon caraway seeds

> > Does anyone else see the irony of this part?

> I suppose that's a way to control the caraway measurement. Some
> of the deli ryes have as much as 1/2 teaspoon or more *per slice*.
> Those are the kind I like, but I can see how they'd throw off a
> recipe.
>
> -sw

Yeah, becsue as all experienced cooks know, measurement of spices is an
exact science. You must have exactly 1/2 t and not a single seed more,
right? If I want rye stuffing, I'm gonna use seeded rye and make life
easy.

Anyways, it just struck my (admittedly odd) sense of humor as alittle
wierd to purposely buy seed-free rye bread only to add the seeds right
back in. Maybe it's just me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Jude" >
> oups.com:
>
>> Anyways, it just struck my (admittedly odd) sense of humor as alittle
>> wierd to purposely buy seed-free rye bread only to add the seeds right
>> back in. Maybe it's just me.

> I dunno. This was from 1959 and Gawd only knows what went on in the
> kitchens back then. I was only 4.

People looked around suspiciously, to see if anyone were
watching, and then threw in more seeds than the recipes
called for. They did that all the time. Once, I saw my own
mother put in 1 1/4 teaspoons fennel seed when the recipe
called for just 1 teaspoon. Things were just out of control.
Good thing the 60's came along to settle things down.

No, I don't clearly remember the 60's. Why do you ask?

Pastorio