Reid©

Default Chester

Has anyone heard of a food item, probably cheese, called
"Chester"? (not Cheshire).
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Anthony

"Reid©" > wrote in message
> Has anyone heard of a food item, probably cheese, called
> "Chester"? (not Cheshire).
> --

This from "The Cheese Book" by Marquis and Haskell:

"From time to time the French have made a number of observations about
Cheshire. Victor Meusy, for example, writes irreverently:

Dans le Chester sec et rose
A longues dents, l'Anglais mord

(Into Chester dry and pink
The long teeth of the English sink)

He calls Cheshire "Chester" as do the rest of his countrymen. Englishmen
rarely complain about this , doubtless because they realise how
extraordinary it is for the French to recognise the existence of any British
cheese."

Erika

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 09:39:30 +0100, Reid© >
wrote:

>Has anyone heard of a food item, probably cheese, called
>"Chester"? (not Cheshire).

AFAIK it is a nother name for Cheddar cheese.
/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
Arri London

"Reid©" wrote:

> Has anyone heard of a food item, probably cheese, called
> "Chester"? (not Cheshire).
> --
> Mike Reid

One of my aunts (of Swiss German origin) said she used to get it when
she visited England in the late 1950s and early 1960s. She said it
wasn't Cheshire and it wasn't Cheddar, both of which she knows quite
well. I've looked for it repeatedly, but even the cheese shop in Goodge
Street (back when they were solely a cheese shop) didn't have it and
couldn't order any.

KFC vs. Chester's Fried Chicken vs. other places Sky[_2_] General Cooking 29 26-01-2017 08:35 PM
[TN] '07 Chester's Anvil Zin Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 01-10-2011 02:30 AM
Chester update, OT Storrmmee Diabetic 10 16-09-2011 10:08 PM
[TN] '07 Chester's Anvil Zin Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 7 28-10-2009 06:54 PM
Let's do brunch in Port Chester, NY Kate Connally General Cooking 14 02-07-2004 04:49 PM