Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

Default Electric can opener

Can someone recommend a good electric one that cuts the lid cleanly, i., e.
, from the side of the lid?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Me wrote:
> Can someone recommend a good electric one that cuts the lid cleanly, i., e.
> , from the side of the lid?

Why does a raw cut on the side make it any more "clean" cut?
It just shifts the raw edge down the side. I just don't get where the
improvement is? LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:32:53 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> Why does a raw cut on the side make it any more "clean" cut?
>> It just shifts the raw edge down the side. I just don't get where the
>> improvement is? LOL

> The latest infomercial.. probably from <acmewidgets>..sPaM

Unless there is some sort of disability coming into play, I don't understand
electric can openers. How do you open cans if the electricity goes out?
Just another thing to either take up counter space or cabinet space, IMO.
Give me my trusty Swing-A-Way manual can opener any day

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Me" > wrote in message
> Can someone recommend a good electric one that cuts the lid cleanly, i.,
> e. , from the side of the lid?

I have a Krups that I've had for years that I like. Don't know if they still
sell it, but it has to be one of the earliest commercially available
side-cut openers. Had it for over fifteen years.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Unless there is some sort of disability coming into play, I don't understand
> electric can openers. How do you open cans if the electricity goes out?

And how do you wash them?

After I realized how dirty they get after 1 can, I made it a policy to
throw them in the dishwasher after every use.

-j.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Nov 2006 10:45:17 -0800, " >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Unless there is some sort of disability coming into play, I don't understand
>> electric can openers. How do you open cans if the electricity goes out?

>And how do you wash them?
>
>After I realized how dirty they get after 1 can, I made it a policy to
>throw them in the dishwasher after every use.

I rinse can openers after each use. They get nasty dirty if I don't.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2006 10:45:17 -0800, " >
> wrote:
>

>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Unless there is some sort of disability coming into play, I don't
>>> understand electric can openers. How do you open cans if the
>>> electricity goes out?

>> And how do you wash them?
>>
>> After I realized how dirty they get after 1 can, I made it a policy
>> to throw them in the dishwasher after every use.
>>

> I rinse can openers after each use. They get nasty dirty if I don't.
>
> Serene

I rinse my Swing-a-Way can opener well and then use a small toothbrush to
clean the blade and between the gears and the blade. Then I run a paper
towel through it. This is was suggested back in 2002 on this very group.

But it was also suggested to "lube it lightly with machine oil". Don't
think so!

I've never actually found my Swing-A-Way hand can opener to need to be
oiled, just cleaned Perhaps this person meant the joints on the handle?
Oil doesn't touch the blades in my house. We are not talking about a fine
set of knives; it's a can opener. Just wash it. And bypass an electric can
opener because they are really of no practical use.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Serene wrote:

> >> And how do you wash them?
> >>
> >> After I realized how dirty they get after 1 can, I made it a policy
> >> to throw them in the dishwasher after every use.
> >>

> > I rinse can openers after each use. They get nasty dirty if I don't.

> I rinse my Swing-a-Way can opener well and then use a small toothbrush to
> clean the blade and between the gears and the blade. Then I run a paper
> towel through it. This was suggested back in 2002 on this very group.

I have two Swing-A-Way can openers . They are so inexpensive and they
last a lifetime. I rinse them after each use and about once a week I
pop one into the dishwasher and switch to the other. I've been using
mine more than forty years, still as good as new. Some one once gave
me an electric can opener... what a stupid concept for the home
kitchen... I used it for about a month and tossed it in the trash.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Some one once gave me an electric can opener...
> what a stupid concept for the home kitchen...
> I used it for about a month and tossed it in the trash.

Next thing you'll tell me is that this
isn't useful either.

http://www.ehostsolution.com/shop/pr...ad32dbe94ba51e
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> jay wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:32:53 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>>> Why does a raw cut on the side make it any more "clean" cut?
>>> It just shifts the raw edge down the side. I just don't get where the
>>> improvement is? LOL

>> The latest infomercial.. probably from <acmewidgets>..sPaM

> Unless there is some sort of disability coming into play, I don't
> understand
> electric can openers. How do you open cans if the electricity goes out?
> Just another thing to either take up counter space or cabinet space, IMO.
> Give me my trusty Swing-A-Way manual can opener any day
>
> Jill

I keep a Swing-A-Way manual on hand for emergencies, just as you described.
However, I do have arthritis in my hands, so an electric can opener is
*high* on my list of important small appliances. I like the Hamilton Beach
"Penguin" electric opener (not one that cuts from the side as requested
here) because (1) it is tall and therefore accepts big cans and (2) it will
easily cut around the edge of cat food cans and not get caught in the
pull-tab. Those pull-tabs are supposed to be a convenience, but for me they
can be a source of considerable pain.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> jay wrote:

>>> The latest infomercial.. probably from <acmewidgets>..sPaM

>> Unless there is some sort of disability coming into play, I don't
>> understand
>> electric can openers. How do you open cans if the electricity goes
>> out? Just another thing to either take up counter space or cabinet
>> space, IMO. Give me my trusty Swing-A-Way manual can opener any day
>>

>> Jill
>>

> I keep a Swing-A-Way manual on hand for emergencies, just as you
> described. However, I do have arthritis in my hands, so an electric
> can opener is *high* on my list of important small appliances. I
> like the Hamilton Beach "Penguin" electric opener (not one that cuts
> from the side as requested here) because (1) it is tall and therefore
> accepts big cans and (2) it will easily cut around the edge of cat
> food cans and not get caught in the pull-tab. Those pull-tabs are
> supposed to be a convenience, but for me they can be a source of
> considerable pain.
>
> MaryL

See, that I can understand! The use of an electric can opener in the case
of arthritis, or in my friend Diane's case who has Multiple Sclerosis, yes.
Otherwise, not really. I've bought things with some of those pull-top cans
and some of them can be incredibly difficult! I only have *moderate*
arthritis in my but YIKES! This is suppose to be easy? LOL

I'm not sure about the cuts from the side thing; not sure I see the benefit
of that as long as you get the can open

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Some one once gave me an electric can opener...
>> what a stupid concept for the home kitchen...
>> I used it for about a month and tossed it in the trash.

> Next thing you'll tell me is that this
> isn't useful either.

http://www.ehostsolution.com/shop/pr...ad32dbe94ba51e

LOLOL That's just plain stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote

> Next thing you'll tell me is that this
> isn't useful either.
>
> http://www.ehostsolution.com/shop/pr...ad32dbe94ba51e

(laugh!) That's a riot. I so do not miss VCR tapes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:

> I keep a Swing-A-Way manual on hand for emergencies, just as you described.
> However, I do have arthritis in my hands, so an electric can opener is
> *high* on my list of important small appliances. I like the Hamilton Beach
> "Penguin" electric opener (not one that cuts from the side as requested
> here) because (1) it is tall and therefore accepts big cans and (2) it will
> easily cut around the edge of cat food cans and not get caught in the
> pull-tab. Those pull-tabs are supposed to be a convenience, but for me they
> can be a source of considerable pain.

Use an old teaspoon, the bowl to lever up the tab and the the handle
through the tab to lever up the lid... voila! Then the spoon to scoop
out the cat food... I have years of practice. And I wouldnt use the
same electric can opener for cat food that I use for people food if
only for the smell... but then there are certain Mediterranean
greaseballs that enjoy Fancy Feast flavored pasta sauce.... the
cod-sole-shrimp medley ain't bad! hehe

Sheldon Purina

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> MaryL wrote:
>>
>> I keep a Swing-A-Way manual on hand for emergencies, just as you
>> described.
>> However, I do have arthritis in my hands, so an electric can opener is
>> *high* on my list of important small appliances. I like the Hamilton
>> Beach
>> "Penguin" electric opener (not one that cuts from the side as requested
>> here) because (1) it is tall and therefore accepts big cans and (2) it
>> will
>> easily cut around the edge of cat food cans and not get caught in the
>> pull-tab. Those pull-tabs are supposed to be a convenience, but for me
>> they
>> can be a source of considerable pain.

> Use an old teaspoon, the bowl to lever up the tab and the the handle
> through the tab to lever up the lid... voila! Then the spoon to scoop
> out the cat food... I have years of practice. And I wouldnt use the
> same electric can opener for cat food that I use for people food if
> only for the smell... but then there are certain Mediterranean
> greaseballs that enjoy Fancy Feast flavored pasta sauce.... the
> cod-sole-shrimp medley ain't bad! hehe
>
> Sheldon Purina

I have tried that (spoon for lifting the tab) and even have one of those
little plastic tab-pullers that are sold for the purpose. I still prefer an
electric can opener. And, yes, I do clean it after each use.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 05:53:39p, Nancy Young meant to say...

> "TammyM" > wrote
>
>> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:38:51 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>>(laugh!) That's a riot. I so do not miss VCR tapes.

>> LOL! That's all I have!
>>
>> TammyM, DVD-less

> I have my DVR, it's like TiVO. Love it. Love love love. (laugh)
> I am so over tapes it's not even funny. I should hook up one of my
> VCRs so I can see the movies I do have on tapes. Like Being There.

I bought a combo VCR/DVR unit a while back, as I have quite a few pre-
recorded tapes and needed to replace my VCR anyway. One of its features is
its automatic trasnfer from tape to DVD. I'm slowly working my way through
my tape collection.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Mark Thorson" > wrote
>
>> Next thing you'll tell me is that this
>> isn't useful either.
>>
>> http://www.ehostsolution.com/shop/pr...ad32dbe94ba51e

>(laugh!) That's a riot. I so do not miss VCR tapes.

LOL! That's all I have!

TammyM, DVD-less
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:38:51 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>(laugh!) That's a riot. I so do not miss VCR tapes.

> LOL! That's all I have!
>
> TammyM, DVD-less

I have my DVR, it's like TiVO. Love it. Love love love. (laugh)
I am so over tapes it's not even funny. I should hook up one of my
VCRs so I can see the movies I do have on tapes. Like Being There.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:53:39 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"TammyM" > wrote
>
>> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:38:51 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>>(laugh!) That's a riot. I so do not miss VCR tapes.

>> LOL! That's all I have!
>>
>> TammyM, DVD-less

>I have my DVR, it's like TiVO. Love it. Love love love. (laugh)
>I am so over tapes it's not even funny. I should hook up one of my
>VCRs so I can see the movies I do have on tapes. Like Being There.

Well.... I wasn't thinking about the DVR but I have that too.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:

> I have tried that (spoon for lifting the tab) and even have one of those
> little plastic tab-pullers that are sold for the purpose. I still prefer an
> electric can opener. And, yes, I do clean it after each use

Perhaps you can use a man with thick thumbs. hehe

Sheldon Allthumbs

Can Opener...Electric Pringles CheezUms General Cooking 26 28-08-2014 09:30 AM
Jar opener ImStillMags General Cooking 13 20-02-2011 06:20 PM
My new can opener came!My new can opener came! hahabogus General Cooking 33 12-01-2008 12:49 AM
Can opener Me General Cooking 9 08-12-2006 12:40 AM
Electric stove controller for electric smoker catfish Barbecue 1 12-05-2006 07:56 AM