Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My new can opener came!My new can opener came!

First off I'm glad the season of impluse shopping is over. Now please stop
posting about stuff that I really don't need but sounds good.

My shopping cart/chair came last week.

And my swingaway can opener, jar opener and Sabater veggie knife came
today...

jeeze I gotta get a life.

I am avoiding to my best ability the dumpling press thread.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> My shopping cart/chair came last week.

What means a shopping cart/chair? My motherr had one of those pull
behind foldable wire shopping carts, lots of people in NYC have them
because they walk to stores.... but I don't know what you mean by the
"chair" part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> hahabogus wrote:
>> My shopping cart/chair came last week.

> What means a shopping cart/chair? My motherr had one of those pull
> behind foldable wire shopping carts, lots of people in NYC have them
> because they walk to stores.... but I don't know what you mean by the
> "chair" part.

Probably not this....

http://tinyurl.com/yq5fkw

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:42:08 -0500, Tracy > wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>> hahabogus wrote:
>>> My shopping cart/chair came last week.

>> What means a shopping cart/chair? My motherr had one of those pull
>> behind foldable wire shopping carts, lots of people in NYC have them
>> because they walk to stores.... but I don't know what you mean by the
>> "chair" part.
>>

>Probably not this....
>
>http://tinyurl.com/yq5fkw

That looks like what they use at the asylum to wheel Shemdon into the
shower. The picture doesn't show the fetters though.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy > wrote in :

> Sheldon wrote:
>> hahabogus wrote:
>>> My shopping cart/chair came last week.

>> What means a shopping cart/chair? My motherr had one of those pull
>> behind foldable wire shopping carts, lots of people in NYC have them
>> because they walk to stores.... but I don't know what you mean by the
>> "chair" part.
>>

> Probably not this....
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yq5fkw
>
> -Tracy

No, this:

http://www.activeandable.com/products/225

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> First off I'm glad the season of impluse shopping is over. Now please stop
> posting about stuff that I really don't need but sounds good.
>
> My shopping cart/chair came last week.
>
> And my swingaway can opener, jar opener and Sabater veggie knife came
> today...
>
> jeeze I gotta get a life.
>
> I am avoiding to my best ability the dumpling press thread.

I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I had
to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh* One day
I'll get another.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 5:56�pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> Tracy > wrote :
>

> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> What means a shopping cart/chair? �My motherr had one of those pull
> >> behind foldable wire shopping carts, lots of people in NYC have them
> >> because they walk to stores.... but I don't know what you mean by the
> >> "chair" part.

> > Probably not this....

> >http://tinyurl.com/yq5fkw

> > -Tracy

> No, this:
>
> http://www.activeandable.com/products/225

Interesting. I never saw anything like that before. I know people
who golf and have a three wheeled push cart to carry their clubs but
they use a foldable chair to rest, the chair folds up like an umbrella
and easily fits into the golf bag... they are available in different
sizes and capacities. The same three wheeled carts also come in a
motorized version that is driven with a remote control the same as
used for model cars, boats, and planes, so you don't need to push the
cart all the time, especially good on golf course terrain which can be
quite hilly. Not every one wants to use the type of golf cart you
ride in, some rather walk, some just don't want to or can't pay the
cart rental fee, adn on many golf courses they don't permit those
carts very near the green so there's still a lot of walking
involved... and some just can't drive those carts safely, a lot of
elderly golfers run over other peoples golf clubs, especially when in
reverse, they've been known to back over people too... they become
confused. There are many golf courses near where I live, my
neihgbor's daughter works summers when there's no school waiting table
at the golf courses, what stories she has about the elderly. Some are
in their nineties and don't want to hear they are banned from driving
golf carts, but then they drive automobles, scary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:18:50 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"hahabogus" > wrote in message
>> First off I'm glad the season of impluse shopping is over. Now please stop
>> posting about stuff that I really don't need but sounds good.
>>
>> My shopping cart/chair came last week.
>>
>> And my swingaway can opener, jar opener and Sabater veggie knife came
>> today...
>>
>> jeeze I gotta get a life.
>>
>> I am avoiding to my best ability the dumpling press thread.

>I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I had
>to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh* One day
>I'll get another.

They're only about 5 bucks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 5:54�pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> Sheldon > wrote in news:ad1dac86-79a1-4672-bc08-
> :
>
> > My motherr had one of those pull
> > behind foldable wire shopping carts, lots of people in NYC have them
> > because they walk to stores.... but I don't know what you mean by the
> > "chair" part.

> Same deal as your mom, except it has a fold out canvas seat built in and is
> slightly smaller as I have the other type foldable pull behind shopping
> cart as well and compared their sizes.
>
> So if I get winded walking around the mall and need to sitdown I can cause
> I have my own seat.
>
> Having lung �damage sucks as it is a disablity that no one can see..

Yeah, well... most disibilities aren't readily visible. Don't let the
turkeys get you down, those who make comments have a disibility that's
difficult to see too, low IQ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> Having lung damage sucks as it is a disablity that no one can see.

You bet it does! I get stares aplenty whenever I park in a handicapped
spot and hang up my permit. Plenty of people have actually tried to stop
me in store parking lots and challenge my right to park there secondary
to my "invisible" (unless you're walking next to me, when it's plenty
visible and audible too) disability. One of the night shift nurses at
work told me I had no right to tell her to move her car (which has no
permit) out of the permitted space, quipping glibbly "Okay, you come
into the building and take report and the keys. Then I'll leave, and the
space will be empty," and the aides, though apologetic and eager to
comply once informed, explained that they were told it's okay to park in
it as "Who's coming? Nobody! Who's gonna need it?" The administrator has
since done inservices on facility parking rules, access and the ADA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:18:50 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"hahabogus" > wrote in message
.. .
>>> First off I'm glad the season of impluse shopping is over. Now please
>>> stop
>>> posting about stuff that I really don't need but sounds good.
>>>
>>> My shopping cart/chair came last week.
>>>
>>> And my swingaway can opener, jar opener and Sabater veggie knife came
>>> today...
>>>
>>> jeeze I gotta get a life.
>>>
>>> I am avoiding to my best ability the dumpling press thread.

>>I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I
>>had
>>to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh* One
>>day
>>I'll get another.

> They're only about 5 bucks.

Not here. Not the kind I want. I think they're something like $12. Not
all that expensive in the overall scheme of things but seems like a lot for
something just to open a can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:42:08 -0500, Tracy > wrote:
>

>>Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> What means a shopping cart/chair? My motherr had one of those pull
>>> behind foldable wire shopping carts, lots of people in NYC have them
>>> because they walk to stores.... but I don't know what you mean by the
>>> "chair" part.
>>>

>>Probably not this....
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/yq5fkw
>>

> That looks like what they use at the asylum to wheel Shemdon into the
> shower. The picture doesn't show the fetters though.
>
> Lou

Great electrical conductivity, though. Too bad it hasn't helped him yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I had
> to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh* One day
> I'll get another.

They're only about $10...unless in the past few years I've missed can
opener inflation? And I put mine through the dishwasher routinely. Rust
has never been an issue...?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I
>> had to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh*
>> One day I'll get another.

> They're only about $10...unless in the past few years I've missed can
> opener inflation? And I put mine through the dishwasher routinely. Rust
> has never been an issue...?

Was that last group of words beginning with "Rust" a statement or a
question? I assume the question mark was intentional, since you must hit the
shift key to type a question mark.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:32:51 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I had
>> to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh* One day
>> I'll get another.
>>

>They're only about $10...unless in the past few years I've missed can
>opener inflation? And I put mine through the dishwasher routinely. Rust
>has never been an issue...?

I just looked and I see they've gone up a bit. I thought they were
still about 5 bucks. But still, it should last a lifetime. I've never
had a problem with rust either.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Jan 10, 5:56?pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> Tracy > wrote :
>

> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> What means a shopping cart/chair? ?My motherr had one of those pull
> >> behind foldable wire shopping carts, lots of people in NYC have them
> >> because they walk to stores.... but I don't know what you mean by the
> >> "chair" part.

> > Probably not this....

> >http://tinyurl.com/yq5fkw

> > -Tracy

> No, this:
>
> http://www.activeandable.com/products/225

Interesting. I never saw anything like that before. I know people
who golf and have a three wheeled push cart to carry their clubs but
they use a foldable chair to rest, the chair folds up like an umbrella
and easily fits into the golf bag... they are available in different
sizes and capacities. The same three wheeled carts also come in a
motorized version that is driven with a remote control the same as
used for model cars, boats, and planes, so you don't need to push the
cart all the time, especially good on golf course terrain which can be
quite hilly. Not every one wants to use the type of golf cart you
ride in, some rather walk, some just don't want to or can't pay the
cart rental fee, adn on many golf courses they don't permit those
carts very near the green so there's still a lot of walking
involved... and some just can't drive those carts safely, a lot of
elderly golfers run over other peoples golf clubs, especially when in
reverse, they've been known to back over people too... they become
confused. There are many golf courses near where I live, my
neihgbor's daughter works summers when there's no school waiting table
at the golf courses, what stories she has about the elderly. Some are
in their nineties and don't want to hear they are banned from driving
golf carts, but then they drive automobles, scary.

these are the same 'grammies and grampies' that allow their
grand-spawn-of-satan drive the damnable things at breakneck speed when they
can't even see over the wheel, and yell at you when 'precious' runs over
your flowers, mailbox and pet.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:56:15 GMT, hahabogus wrote:
>
>> No, this:
>>
>> http://www.activeandable.com/products/225

> I think you can blame me for that purchase ;-)
>
> Was the Can opener the one that takes 2 AA batteries and seen on
> TV? It comes with a jar opener, which you also mentioned.
>
> -sw

No...standard hand held manual operated swingway...same for the jar
opener. Actually I got 2 can openers both manually operated. One olde
fashion cuts the can open on top type and one newer style that cuts the
can open from the side...allowing for re-using the lid to seal the can if
it isn't all used up. The jar opener works a treat so far better than the
type that breaks the vacuum seal.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/6659.jpg is the swingway can opener

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/11406.jpg the other type can opener

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=10867 is the jar opener

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/9401.jpg is the veggie knife

The knife feels very nice in my hand and has some heft to it.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I
>> had to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh*
>> One day I'll get another.

> They're only about $10...unless in the past few years I've missed can
> opener inflation? And I put mine through the dishwasher routinely. Rust
> has never been an issue...?

The ones I've bought say not to wash them or they will rust. This just
seems creepy to me so I do wash them on occasion. Have never put them in
the dishwasher and they always rust. The little round cutting pieces rust.
My parents always put theirs in the dishwasher and they seem to have better
luck at keeping them than I do. When I start seeing rusty marks on my hands
after washing the thing, I toss it.

I don't know where you live, but I'm in the Seattle area. I think things
cost more here. I've seen them cheaper online but then I have to factor
postage in there so I'm not really saving anything going that route.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:32:51 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I
>>> had
>>> to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh* One
>>> day
>>> I'll get another.
>>>

>>They're only about $10...unless in the past few years I've missed can
>>opener inflation? And I put mine through the dishwasher routinely. Rust
>>has never been an issue...?

> I just looked and I see they've gone up a bit. I thought they were
> still about 5 bucks. But still, it should last a lifetime. I've never
> had a problem with rust either.

Jeepers. I'm lucky to get 3-4 years out of one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:39:57 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:32:51 -0500, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:

>>>They're only about $10...unless in the past few years I've missed can
>>>opener inflation? And I put mine through the dishwasher routinely. Rust
>>>has never been an issue...?

>> I just looked and I see they've gone up a bit. I thought they were
>> still about 5 bucks. But still, it should last a lifetime. I've never
>> had a problem with rust either.

>Jeepers. I'm lucky to get 3-4 years out of one.

I got one shortly after I got divorced 21 years ago. It's still
working just fine. No rust. Maybe you've got weird water?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in
:

> No...standard hand held manual operated swingway...same for
> the jar opener. Actually I got 2 can openers both manually
> operated. One olde fashion cuts the can open on top type and
> one newer style that cuts the can open from the
> side...allowing for re-using the lid to seal the can if it
> isn't all used up. The jar opener works a treat so far better
> than the type that breaks the vacuum seal.
>

> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/6659.jpg is the swingway
> can opener
>
> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/11406.jpg the other type
> can opener

I have both also. Love 'um!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss said...

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:39:57 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> I just looked and I see they've gone up a bit. I thought they were
>>> still about 5 bucks. But still, it should last a lifetime. I've never
>>> had a problem with rust either.

>>Jeepers. I'm lucky to get 3-4 years out of one.

> I got one shortly after I got divorced 21 years ago. It's still
> working just fine. No rust. Maybe you've got weird water?
>
> Lou

Most expensive: Anything copper.

My cheap-o battery operated pepper grinder, I just press the top button and
it puts the pepper where I want it, not all over the place and reduced my
wrist injuries. YMMV.

Andy

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail|@webtv
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> hahabogus wrote:
> > Having lung damage sucks as it is a disablity that no one can see.

> You bet it does! I get stares aplenty whenever I park in a handicapped
> spot and hang up my permit. Plenty of people have actually tried to stop
> me in store parking lots and challenge my right to park there secondary
> to my "invisible" (unless you're walking next to me, when it's plenty
> visible and audible too) disability. One of the night shift nurses at
> work told me I had no right to tell her to move her car (which has no
> permit) out of the permitted space, quipping glibbly "Okay, you come
> into the building and take report and the keys. Then I'll leave, and the
> space will be empty," and the aides, though apologetic and eager to
> comply once informed, explained that they were told it's okay to park in
> it as "Who's coming? Nobody! Who's gonna need it?" The administrator has
> since done inservices on facility parking rules, access and the ADA.

I've never had any problem with the handicap parking spots. Now I/ve
gotten to where I soon will need to get a permit. The ones that I get
ticked off about are the "pregnant ladies" spots. When I was having my
family, it was encouraged that a pregnant women need to walk as much as
possible for excerise....Sharon .....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> The ones I've bought say not to wash them or they will rust. This
> just seems creepy to me so I do wash them on occasion.

I always have to after opening sweetened condensed milk cans. That
gooey stuff gets all over the works.

> Have never
> put them in the dishwasher and they always rust. The little round
> cutting pieces rust. My parents always put theirs in the dishwasher
> and they seem to have better luck at keeping them than I do. When I
> start seeing rusty marks on my hands after washing the thing, I toss
> it.

I run mine through the diswasher, in the silverware basket with each
"leg" in a separate compartment so that it will dry spread out. Seems
to work pretty well.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote

> I've never had any problem with the handicap parking spots. Now I/ve
> gotten to where I soon will need to get a permit. The ones that I get
> ticked off about are the "pregnant ladies" spots. When I was having my
> family, it was encouraged that a pregnant women need to walk as much as
> possible for excerise....

Really. I see them for people with small children, too. I have
no idea if those are enforcable. I could have used Exhausted
after a long day and wearing high heels parking spots at one
point, maybe those will be next.

nancy (parks far and walks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:35:03 -0700, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>hahabogus wrote:
>> Having lung damage sucks as it is a disablity that no one can see.

>You bet it does! I get stares aplenty whenever I park in a handicapped
>spot and hang up my permit. Plenty of people have actually tried to stop
>me in store parking lots and challenge my right to park there secondary
>to my "invisible" (unless you're walking next to me, when it's plenty
>visible and audible too) disability. One of the night shift nurses at
>work told me I had no right to tell her to move her car (which has no
>permit) out of the permitted space, quipping glibbly "Okay, you come
>into the building and take report and the keys. Then I'll leave, and the
>space will be empty," and the aides, though apologetic and eager to
>comply once informed, explained that they were told it's okay to park in
>it as "Who's coming? Nobody! Who's gonna need it?" The administrator has
>since done inservices on facility parking rules, access and the ADA.

i heard an 'invisible' handicap story: this guy (who did have a
permit) got out of his car, and some yo-yo yelled, 'you look o.k. to
me. what's your ****ing handicap?' he yelled back, 'my dick doesn't
get hard anymore.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 03:34:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I love Swingaway. They make the best can openers. Expensive though. I
>>> had to throw mine out. Got rusty. Have a cheap imitation now. *sigh*
>>> One day I'll get another.

>> They're only about $10...unless in the past few years I've missed can
>> opener inflation? And I put mine through the dishwasher routinely. Rust
>> has never been an issue...?

>Was that last group of words beginning with "Rust" a statement or a
>question? I assume the question mark was intentional, since you must hit the
>shift key to type a question mark.

dear god. everyone report to typing class immediately!

your pal,
sgt. sphincter
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:50:18 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>i heard an 'invisible' handicap story: this guy (who did have a
>permit) got out of his car, and some yo-yo yelled, 'you look o.k. to
>me. what's your ****ing handicap?' he yelled back, 'my dick doesn't
>get hard anymore.'

I applied for handicap benefits years ago. They asked what was wrong.
I dropped trou and said I deserved social insecurity. They agreed.

On a more serious and truthful note, My brother went to college with
a guy from somewhere out of the US. In the 70's we didn't understand
the laws and the foreigner sure didn't. He parked in a handicap spot,
tied his coat sleeve in a knot, and put is arm inside of the coat.
Then he limped into the bar and got drunk.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Dan is offline

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jan 10, 5:56�pm, hahabogus > wrote:
>> Tracy > wrote :

>>> Probably not this....
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yq5fkw
>>> -Tracy

>> No, this:
>>
>> http://www.activeandable.com/products/225

> Interesting. I never saw anything like that before. I know people
> who golf and have a three wheeled push cart to carry their clubs but
> they use a foldable chair to rest, the chair folds up like an umbrella
> and easily fits into the golf bag... they are available in different
> sizes and capacities. The same three wheeled carts also come in a
> motorized version that is driven with a remote control the same as
> used for model cars, boats, and planes, so you don't need to push the
> cart all the time, especially good on golf course terrain which can be
> quite hilly. Not every one wants to use the type of golf cart you
> ride in, some rather walk, some just don't want to or can't pay the
> cart rental fee, adn on many golf courses they don't permit those
> carts very near the green so there's still a lot of walking
> involved... and some just can't drive those carts safely, a lot of
> elderly golfers run over other peoples golf clubs, especially when in
> reverse, they've been known to back over people too... they become
> confused. There are many golf courses near where I live, my
> neihgbor's daughter works summers when there's no school waiting table
> at the golf courses, what stories she has about the elderly. Some are
> in their nineties and don't want to hear they are banned from driving
> golf carts, but then they drive automobles, scary.

What's your point?