Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

Default Can opener

Can someone recommend a good electric one that cuts the lid cleanly, i., e.
, from the side of the lid

Posted to rec.food.cooking

stick wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:27:53 -0800, Me wrote:
>
>> Can someone recommend a good electric one that cuts the lid cleanly, i., e.
>> , from the side of the lid

> YES!! I saw one advertised on TV last week that does just that (cuts from
> the side) and bought it. Absolutely a piece of CRAP! You have to put in a
> new battery every time you open a can. Whoever came up with this one is a
> real moron! Don't waste your money!!

Again, I ask.... what is the advantage of having the cuts on the side of
the can rather than the top?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 said...

> stick wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:27:53 -0800, Me wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone recommend a good electric one that cuts the lid cleanly,
>>> i., e. , from the side of the lid

>> YES!! I saw one advertised on TV last week that does just that (cuts
>> from the side) and bought it. Absolutely a piece of CRAP! You have to
>> put in a new battery every time you open a can. Whoever came up with
>> this one is a real moron! Don't waste your money!!

> Again, I ask.... what is the advantage of having the cuts on the side of
> the can rather than the top?

Goomba38,

I bought the "As seen on TV" manual side-can opener about 10 years ago.
Aside from not leaving sharp edges, you can put the top of the can snuggly
back on the can if you don't finish all the contents.

I top-open cans of tuna to squeeze the water out but side-open jumbo cans
of beans, cans of green chiles, etc., to keep in the fridge for a couple
days.

Another reason for a side-can opener is to keep the top of the can from
falling into the contents, possibly depositing contaminants like rat crap,
etc.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Another reason for a side-can opener is to keep the top of the can from
> falling into the contents, possibly depositing contaminants like rat crap,
> etc.
>
> Andy

Uh, wash the can lid first luv?

At the very least, I dust can tops with a wet, soapy cloth prior to
opening.

It only takes a second.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Another reason for a side-can opener is to keep the top of the can from
>> falling into the contents, possibly depositing contaminants like rat
>> crap, etc.
>>
>> Andy

> Uh, wash the can lid first luv?
>
> At the very least, I dust can tops with a wet, soapy cloth prior to
> opening.
>
> It only takes a second.

Om,

You're quite right!

Still worth a mention for folks who never thought about it.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Another reason for a side-can opener is to keep the top of the can from
>> falling into the contents, possibly depositing contaminants like rat
>> crap,
>> etc.
>>
>> Andy

> Uh, wash the can lid first luv?
>
> At the very least, I dust can tops with a wet, soapy cloth prior to
> opening.
>
> It only takes a second.
> --
> Peace, Om

But he might like the taste of the 'flavor enhancements' that is of course
if they don't have carbs in them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> stick wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:27:53 -0800, Me wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone recommend a good electric one that cuts the lid
>>> cleanly, i., e. , from the side of the lid

>> YES!! I saw one advertised on TV last week that does just that (cuts
>> from the side) and bought it. Absolutely a piece of CRAP! You have
>> to put in a new battery every time you open a can. Whoever came up
>> with this one is a real moron! Don't waste your money!!

> Again, I ask.... what is the advantage of having the cuts on the side
> of the can rather than the top?

Deja Vu... didn't we just have this discussion?! LOL

Jill