Old 22-11-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cardamom replacement question

Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Thank you.

Old 22-11-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:

Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Thank you.

I'm not sure there is any acceptable substitute for cardamom. Perhaps
one reason it's so expensive.

Pete C.
Old 22-11-2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sandi" wrote in message
news.net...
Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Thank you.

There is no substitute. Nothing else tastes like it. What is the recipe?

Old 22-11-2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Thank you.

Nothing I can think of- what are you making?

Old 22-11-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Thank you.

Try another store? Sometimes it's spelled with a K, but if you really
cannot find it, if it's a recipe for a baked good (like a cake or
cookie), then you could probably use Cinnamon instead, but it won't
taste like it's intended to. Otherwise, I have no clue.

Old 22-11-2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Thank you.

Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, if you find it, be prepared to
spend a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!

Cardamom Cherry Bread

1 Stick Butter -- Softened
3/4 C Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs -- Beaten
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 C King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Tbsp Cardamom
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 C Fresh Pitted Cherries -- (or 1/2 lb unpitted
cherries)

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 9 x 5" loaf pan.

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs and extract.

Soft dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients. Stir in
the cherries and mix until combined.

Spoon batter into loaf pan. Bake for 45 - 55 min. Insert a skewer
or cake tester; it will come out dry when the bread is done. Cool for
10 min in the pan and turn out on a rack to fully cool. This is best
eaten the next day.

This is a great bread to serve with coffee. I served it when I had
some guests from Norway & they liked it very much.

Old 22-11-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:
sandi wrote:
[...]

Oh, I love cherries! Do you think that canned cherries would substitute
well, now that it's winter? A little hard to get fresh cherries here in
the northeast!

Old 22-11-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

Oh, I love cherries! Do you think that canned cherries would substitute
well, now that it's winter? A little hard to get fresh cherries here in
the northeast!

I don't see why not. I think I used them once in this recipe. :-)

Old 22-11-2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"denise~*" wrote:

sandi wrote:
Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Thank you.

Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, if you find it, be prepared to
spend a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!

Cardamom Cherry Bread

1 Stick Butter -- Softened
3/4 C Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs -- Beaten
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 C King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Tbsp Cardamom
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 C Fresh Pitted Cherries -- (or 1/2 lb unpitted
cherries)

There's really no substitute. However, it might work to use nutmeg,
allspice or mace. It won't taste the same, but it might be good.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Old 22-11-2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Nov 2006 17:08:58 GMT, sandi wrote:

Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Nothing will replace the cardamom flavor. It's *that* unique.
Now that I've said my piece about it....
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4081640AAiKuiT

--
See return address to reply by email

Old 22-11-2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:21:26 -0800, sf wrote:

On 22 Nov 2006 17:08:58 GMT, sandi wrote:

Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Nothing will replace the cardamom flavor. It's *that* unique.
Now that I've said my piece about it....
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4081640AAiKuiT

See, this is one of those things that shows you are a foodie...LOL.
Me, I would have gone from store to store til I found it....or at
least til I got worn out...LOL. I get that obsessed sometimes....

Christine
Old 22-11-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:

Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

I have found it nearly impossible to get ground cardamom, and discovered
that it's because it very rapidly loses its aroma and flavour once in
the ground form. Can you buy whole cardamom pods locally? If so, then
take about 20 or so of these, crack open the pods and put the little
black seeds inside into a pestle and mortar, discarding the green pod
cases. Then you can grind up the seeds and have fresh cardamom powder.
It is a beautiful spice and the fresh ground seeds are totally different
to using the whole pods in things such as Indian cookery.

HTH

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old 22-11-2006, 09:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
sandi wrote:

Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

I have found it nearly impossible to get ground cardamom

Do you live in the USA? If yes, what are the names of the grocery stores you
have access to?

Old 22-11-2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

If you have any Indian or Pakistani grocery stores in your area, check
with them. They'll probably have the whole pods in a couple of
different varieties. Grind up the seeds inside the pods as another
poster described, and you're in business.

Bob
===================
In article .net,
lid says...

Old 22-11-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Do you live in the USA? If yes, what are the names of the grocery stores you
have access to?

Sorry, no - I'm in the UK, and cardamom pods are available pretty much
everywhere in supermarkets, or from online spice suppliers.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

CARDAMOM No Name General Cooking 21 22-09-2009 12:04 PM
"Green" Cardamom Follow up question Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 22 10-12-2006 02:39 PM
Question: need replacement pan for breadmaker Jen Baking 2 20-11-2005 11:57 PM
question about coriander and cardamom in a "rub" Hope General Cooking 4 02-09-2005 09:25 AM
other uses for cardamom? -L. General Cooking 48 09-02-2004 12:23 AM