Posted to rec.food.cooking
Denise~* Denise~* is offline

Default Cardamom replacement question

sandi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?
>
> Thank you.

Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, if you find it, be prepared to
spend a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!

Cardamom Cherry Bread

1 Stick Butter -- Softened
3/4 C Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs -- Beaten
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 C King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Tbsp Cardamom
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 C Fresh Pitted Cherries -- (or 1/2 lb unpitted
cherries)

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 9 x 5" loaf pan.

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs and extract.

Soft dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients. Stir in
the cherries and mix until combined.

Spoon batter into loaf pan. Bake for 45 - 55 min. Insert a skewer
or cake tester; it will come out dry when the bread is done. Cool for
10 min in the pan and turn out on a rack to fully cool. This is best
eaten the next day.

This is a great bread to serve with coffee. I served it when I had
some guests from Norway & they liked it very much.