-L.

Default other uses for cardamom?

So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
(rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
Any suggestions?

TIA,

-L.
Richard Periut

-L. wrote:
> So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
> (rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
> stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
> recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
>
> -L.

Breath freshner; one of the best around!

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

PENMART01

>: (-L.)
>
>I got a buttload of cardamom.
>I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of
>this stuff over the next year or so,
>I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
>Any suggestions?

Cardamom makes a pretty good breath freshener... so if you prepare an infusion
you can use it to douche your rectum... hey, don't blame me... you're the one
said "I got a buttload". <g>

Anyway, if you bought whole pods then not to worry, left in the pods cardamom
is good to go for many years, especially when stored in an air-tight container
in the freezer... should be fine for at least 20 years. I have some in my
freezer for at least 10 years. I don't use cardamom very often but when I do
my frozen stash is as potent as the day Penzeys shipped it. I think it was
part of my very first order, long before Penzeys even had a real catalog...
they began life with a few hastily typed pages stapled together in one
corner.... sometimes yellow paper, sometimes pink. Naturally there were no
outlet stores back then, no Website either. But Penzeys was far more
personable then, only a couple of order takers answered their phone, they never
rushed and were very pleasant and chatty, so it was like what a real shopping
experience used to be. Back then every order arrived with samples, and all the
products bore the packer's hand written signature.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
> (rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
> stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
> recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
>
> -L.

You could make vina terta, though it is time consuming and doesn't require a
whole lot of cardamom (a teaspoon or two maybe).

rona

Nexis

"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
> (rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
> stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
> recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
>
> -L.

Chicken Vindaloo? Coffee too...just add some in with the coffee when
brewing.
Here's a few recipes for you; the first one will probably use up your supply
:-) :

Glogg

1 c. almonds (about 5 oz.)
1 bottle (25 oz.) Aquavit
1 bottle (25 oz.) claret
6 2 1/2-inch cinnamon sticks
1 c. dark, seedless raisins or currants
6 pieces candied orange and/or lemon peel
12 whole cloves
12 cardamom pods, peeled
1 c. sugar

1.. Blanch the almonds.
2.. Empty the Aquavit and claret into a large stock pot.
3.. Add to it the almonds, cinnamon sticks, raisins/currants, candied
orange/lemon peel, cloves and cardamom. Bring slowly to a boil, reduce heat
and simmer about 10 minutes.
4.. Stir in the sugar and continue to simmer until the sugar is completely
dissolved.

Finish Cardamom Tea Cake

2 c. unbleached flour
2 tsp. freshly ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. sour cream
1 stick butter, melted

1.. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a loaf pan.
2.. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3.. Beat eggs and sugar together until creamy. Add dry ingredients and mix
until combined. Mix in sour cream and melted butter.
4.. Pour batter into prepared pan, baking until done, about an hour. Cool
in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack and finish cooling
Norwegian Jewelkake

1/2 small orange
1 c. water
3/4 c. golden raisins or currants
1/2 c. chopped glacé cherries
1/2 c. chopped citron
1 c. milk
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm (110-115°F) water
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. sifted unbleached flour
2 tsp. crushed cardamom
3 to 3 1/2 c. sifted unbleached flour
1 egg white, lightly beaten

1.. Wash the orange half well, cut in half again, and run through a food
processor and set aside.
2.. Bring the 1 cup of water to a boil, add raisins or currants and bring
to a boil again. Pour off the water and drain raisins or currants on a paper
towel, setting aside.
3.. Scald the milk.
4.. While the milk is heating, dissolve the yeast in the warm water in a
small dish, and set aside.
5.. Put the butter, sugar and salt into a large bowl. While the milk is
still hot, pour it into this bowl. When lukewarm, blend in the 1 cup of
flour and the cardamom until the mixture is smooth.
6.. Stir the yeast into the milk mixture, mixing well.
7.. Add about half of the 3 cups of flour to the mixture, beating until
very smooth.
8.. Add ground orange, raisins or currants, glacé cherries, citron and
enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface
and let rest 5-10 minutes.
9.. Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Form dough into a large ball and
place into a deep, greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl to bring greased
side to the top. Cover with wax paper and a tea towel and let stand in a
warm place until dough is doubled.
10.. Punch dough down, pull edges into the center, turn dough completely
over. Let rise again until nearly doubled.
11.. Punch down and turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
12.. Lightly grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
13.. Shape dough into a round ball and place in the greased cake pan,
flattening slightly. Cover and let rise about 45 minutes, or until doubled.
14.. Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes, until it starts to become golden.
15.. Remove from oven and brush with the egg white. Return to oven and
bake another 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
16.. Let cool 10 minutes on a rack, then remove from pan and continue to
cool on racks.

enjoy,
kimberly

JLove98905

Howsabout some chai tea? That spice blend contains cardamom.
Yummy!
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

kalanamak

"-L." wrote:

> So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
> (rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
> stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
> recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
>
> -L.

Throw a couple in a beef stew with some chilis and a cinn. stick.
Make chai like my ex-IL's did:

Bring 2 cups water with two lightly pounded cardi in it to boil. Add two
"fingerfuls" of tea (grasp some darjeeling between your thumb and first
two finger, as much as you can comgortably hold with the fingertips
straight and flat against the thumb like chopsticks....if you want
stronger tea use three fingers, or if you have short fingers), bring
back to a boil. Add a cup of milk and sugar to taste (more than most
westerners, as the boiled tea will have some bitterness) and bring to a
boil again (important). Strain into small cups and eat with sweets.
blacksalt
kalanamak

"-L." wrote:

> So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
> (rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
> stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
> recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
>
> -L.

Oh, and really special, from an old post of mine:
<begin paste>

SAFFRON CARDAMOM ICE CREAM, CIAO BELLA

2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
8 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 cup shelled natural pistachio nuts

In a heavy saucepan combine the milk, cream, saffron and bring to a
boil. Remove pan from heat and let cream mixture stand, covered, for
1 hour. Return pan to the heat and bring mixture to just the boiling
point.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and pinch of salt
together.
Add the cream mixture in a steady stream, whisking and pour the entire
mixture back into the pan. Cook this custard over moderate low heat,
stirring until a thermometer reaches 170F. Strain through a fine
sieve
into another bowl and stir in cardamom. Let custard cool completely
and
freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's
recommendations.
Add pistachios during last few minutes of freezing time.

Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

HTH
blacksalt
Mark Thorson

"-L." wrote:

> So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last
> week (rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot
> of this stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up
> some good recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was
> pretty expensive. Any suggestions?

In a marinade for pork. I had to use up some old
cardamom, and put a few ounces in a pork marinade,
and it was very good. Without checking any recipes
for pancetta, I would guess that cardamom is a major
spice used for pancetta. The pork I marinated
reminded me of that great pancetta flavor.

BTW, what I bought at the Pakistani food store
under the name of "cardamom" was much different
from a jar of some spice my mom bought when
I was a kid, which I'm pretty sure was also sold
as "cardamom". However, the stuff I bought were
long green seed pods (about 20 mm x 5 mm x 2 mm)
with a thin brittle skin containing spherical seeds like
mustard. What my mom bought were roughly spherical
off-white seed pods, about 10 mm in diameter, that
were thick and soft, containing small dark seeds in
the center. Is it possible that there's more than one
spice called cardamom?

I'll have to see if she still has those old ones. Hopefully,
she didn't give them away to a food pantry. :-)

Saerah

-L. wrote in message ...
>So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
>(rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
>stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
>recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
>Any suggestions?
>
>TIA,
>
>-L.

mix it with ground coffee before you brew up a pot. it's yummy.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

Kamala Ganesh

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> "-L." wrote:
> >

> BTW, what I bought at the Pakistani food store
> under the name of "cardamom" was much different
> from a jar of some spice my mom bought when
> I was a kid, which I'm pretty sure was also sold
> as "cardamom". However, the stuff I bought were
> long green seed pods (about 20 mm x 5 mm x 2 mm)
> with a thin brittle skin containing spherical seeds like
> mustard. What my mom bought were roughly spherical
> off-white seed pods, about 10 mm in diameter, that
> were thick and soft, containing small dark seeds in
> the center. Is it possible that there's more than one
> spice called cardamom?

Yes, there are two types of cardamom, the "large" cardamom(badi elaichi in
Hindi) and the "small" cardamom(choti elaichi). I think the small variety is
the true cardamom and is usually used in sweets and such. The larger ones
are spicy and used whole in dishes like biryani, pilaf, etc.

That said, whole cardamom can be stored forever(almost!) in the freezer.

- Kamala

Loki

il Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:01:16 GMT, smithfarms pure kona ha scritto:

> FYI The cardamom plants in my yard are ready to be harvested right
> now. The pods grow along shoots at the base of the plant and you pick
> each one off. The cardamom plant's flower looks like a ginger flower
> and the plant is indeed from the ginger (at least ornamental) family.

[snip]

What kind of climate do they need?

--
Cheers,

Derek N.P.F. Juhl

(-L.) wrote in message om>...

> Any suggestions?

JULEKAKE - CARDAMOM BREAD

Serving Size: 2
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Breads

2 1/2 c All-purpose flour
2 pk Active dry yeast
3/4 ts Ground cardamom
1 1/4 c Milk
1/2 c Sugar
1/2 c Butter
1 t Salt
1 Egg
1 c Candied fruits -- optional
1 c Light raisins
2 1/2 c All-purpose flour

In a large mixer bowl combine 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, yeast, and
cardamom. In a saucepan heat milk, sugar, butter, and salt just till
warm (115F) and the butter is almost melted; stir constantly. Add
heated milk mixture to flour mixture; add 1 egg. Beat at low speed of
electric mixer for 1/2 minute. Beat 3 minutes at high speed, scraping
sides of bowl constantly. Stir in 1 chopped mixed candied fruits and
peels (optional), raisins, and as much of the 2 1/2 cups all-purpose
flour as you can mix in with a spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured
surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a
moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes
total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn
once to grease surface. Cover, let rise in a warm place till double
(about 1 1/2 hours). Punch dough down; divide dough in half. Cover;
let rest 10 minutes. Shape into 2 round loaves; place on greased
baking sheets. Flatten each slightly to a 6-inch diameter. Cover; let
rise till nearly double (45 to 60 minutes). Stir together 1 slightly
beaten egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water, brush over loaves.

Bake in a 350F oven for 35 minutes or till done. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 2 round loaves.<<<<<

Derek Juhl
Donna Pattee

In article > ,
-L. > wrote:
>So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
>(rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
>stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
>recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
>Any suggestions?
>
>TIA,
>
>-L.

Kulich, a Russian holiday bread flavored with cardomom.

Use it instead of ginger or cinnamon in all kinds of recipes.

Swedish waffles flavored with cardomom.

Moroccan (sp?) carrot salad with grated carrots, orange juice, golden
raisins.

Quite a few Indian main dishes use cardomom.

smithfarms pure kona

On 29 Jan 2004 17:57:20 +1300, "Loki" > wrote:

>il Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:01:16 GMT, smithfarms pure kona ha scritto:
>
>> FYI The cardamom plants in my yard are ready to be harvested right
>> now. The pods grow along shoots at the base of the plant and you

pick
>> each one off. The cardamom plant's flower looks like a ginger

flower
>> and the plant is indeed from the ginger (at least ornamental)

family.
>[snip]
>
>What kind of climate do they need?

They grow here in South Kona, Hawaii at the 1800 foot altitude. Sub
tropical is what they like. Lowest cold temp of the year is about 50
and never gets to 90 on hot summer days. If you can grow white ginger
etc. you ought to be able to grow cardamom.

aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Mr. Wizard

"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week
> (rava kassari). I'm thinking I won't be using a whole lot of this
> stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up some good
> recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
>
> -L.

This is a fantastic soup.

Carrot Cardamom Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon ground Cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch
1 large pie apple diced fine
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, 1/4-inch dice
1 medium Idaho potato, peeled and 1/2-inch dice
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and 1/2 inch dice
8 cups Chicken Stock
2 cups dry white wine
1 1/2 tablespoon (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, in pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
lime slices, for garnish

Heat olive oil in a large nonreactive stockpot over medium heat.
Add the onion, ginger, spices, carrots, apple, red pepper
and potatoes. Stir to coat the vegetables with the spices and
then sauté until the onion is translucent.
About 15 minutes.

Add the chicken stock, white wine, and brown sugar.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer
About 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Use a stick blender and process until smooth.
Return the soup to the pot and reheat over low heat.
Stir in the lime juice and parsley; add the butter and
salt and pepper and heat until the butter is melted.
Serve in bowl garnished with a lime slice.

notbob

On 2004-01-29, Mr. Wizard > wrote:

> This is a fantastic soup.

Ooooh... looks positively evil! A keeper.

nb
Barry Grau

"Kamala Ganesh" > wrote in message news:<KF%Rb.176329$xy6.835697@attbi_s02>...
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > "-L." wrote:
> > >

> > BTW, what I bought at the Pakistani food store
> > under the name of "cardamom" was much different
> > from a jar of some spice my mom bought when
> > I was a kid, which I'm pretty sure was also sold
> > as "cardamom". However, the stuff I bought were
> > long green seed pods (about 20 mm x 5 mm x 2 mm)
> > with a thin brittle skin containing spherical seeds like
> > mustard. What my mom bought were roughly spherical
> > off-white seed pods, about 10 mm in diameter, that
> > were thick and soft, containing small dark seeds in
> > the center. Is it possible that there's more than one
> > spice called cardamom?

> Yes, there are two types of cardamom, the "large" cardamom(badi elaichi in
> Hindi) and the "small" cardamom(choti elaichi). I think the small variety is
> the true cardamom and is usually used in sweets and such. The larger ones
> are spicy and used whole in dishes like biryani, pilaf, etc.
>
> That said, whole cardamom can be stored forever(almost!) in the freezer.
>
> - Kamala

Isn't the "large" cardamon, badi elaichi, also called "black"
cardamom, and has a larger and black or dark brown pod? I think that
the grren-podded and white-podded cardamom Mark described are actually
the same thing -- what you call "small" or "true" cardamom -- and that
the difference is that the white ones have been bleached from their
natural green color (purportedly at the expense of some flavor, too).
Also, I think the white cardamom tends to be used more by middle
easterners, whereas green is usually used by Indians.

Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages do make reference to two smaller, rounder
varieties of cardamom, and also mention that green pods are more
fragrant than "yellow or white bleached ones."
<http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/Elet_car.html>

By the way, I notice that the Spice Pages give the Hebrew word
backward (written from left to right) or else transliterates it
backward -- the transliteration he gives is "hel" but the Hebrew text
reads "leh." As if anyone else cares.

-bwg

notbob

On 2004-01-29, Barry Grau > wrote:

> Isn't the "large" cardamon, badi elaichi, also called "black"
> cardamom, and has a larger and black or dark brown pod? I think that
> the grren-podded and white-podded cardamom Mark described are actually
> the same thing -- what you call "small" or "true" cardamom -- and that
> the difference is that the white ones have been bleached from their
> natural green color (purportedly at the expense of some flavor, too).
> Also, I think the white cardamom tends to be used more by middle
> easterners, whereas green is usually used by Indians.

That's what how our local Indian store owner refers to it, black cardamom
and just cardamom (for the green). The green is what most Westerners are
familiar with. Black cardamom is not just bigger. It has a comepletly
different flavor from the green. While I love green cardamom, I very much
dislike black cardamom. I use cardamom in coffee and rice dishes. My
favorite cardamom treat is cardamom baklava. Cardamom is divine in honey.

nb
PENMART01

After my afternoon glass of dago red I'm reading "other uses for condoms"

Drinking and bi-focals don't mix.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Mark Thorson

Barry Grau wrote:

> I think that the grren-podded and white-podded cardamom
> Mark described are actually the same thing -- what you call
> "small" or "true" cardamom -- and that the difference is that
> the white ones have been bleached from their natural green
> color (purportedly at the expense of some flavor, too).

No way. The green cardamom are long, thin pods.
The white cardamom were close to being spherical.
The green cardamom had a very thin skin -- paper thin.
The white cardamom had a very thick skin -- about 1/3
the diameter of the pod.

kalanamak

smithfarms pure kona wrote:

> I have the spherical. So then what is the "black"?

Much bigger, much tougher, more oily and smokey smelling. I usually use
these, whole, in meat "curries". Might there be pictures at the Penzey's
web site?
blacksalt

smithfarms pure kona

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:28:30 GMT, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Barry Grau wrote:
>
>> I think that the grren-podded and white-podded cardamom
>> Mark described are actually the same thing -- what you call
>> "small" or "true" cardamom -- and that the difference is that
>> the white ones have been bleached from their natural green
>> color (purportedly at the expense of some flavor, too).

>No way. The green cardamom are long, thin pods.
>The white cardamom were close to being spherical.
>The green cardamom had a very thin skin -- paper thin.
>The white cardamom had a very thick skin -- about 1/3
>the diameter of the pod.

I have the spherical. So then what is the "black"?

Aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Loki

il Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:04:43 GMT, smithfarms pure kona ha scritto:

> >What kind of climate do they need?

> They grow here in South Kona, Hawaii at the 1800 foot altitude. Sub
> tropical is what they like. Lowest cold temp of the year is about 50
> and never gets to 90 on hot summer days. If you can grow white ginger
> etc. you ought to be able to grow cardamom.
>
> aloha, Thunder

Thanks for the info.
Right now it's sub tropical, but it should be hot and searing, and
then freezing in winter (temperate) at about sea level. They'd
probably need a glasshouse here. Pity.
--
Cheers,

notbob

On 2004-01-30, Gernot Katzer > wrote:

> There are indeed several varieties of (green) cardamom...

Oh fer cry'noutloud! Go out and buy a jar of Morton & Bassett cardamom and
smash the pods till you get some little black seeds and then crush them up
to powder and put them in SOMETHING!! Oatmeal! Hot chocolate! Yer old
lady's snatch, fer God's sake!! Just do it.

nb ...can't anyone do anything without permission, anymore?
Barry Grau

(Gernot Katzer) wrote in message . com>...

(Barry Grau) wrote

> Well, as the author i *do* care. I see a _lamed_ left of a _he_,
> and the name should be hel (הל). It appears this way
> with Mozilla 1.3 and Internet Explorer 6; Opera 6.12, I have to
> concede, renders the Hebrew words incorrectly.
> Is this the one you are using, too?

I am using Opera (6.0).

> The markup basically is
> <SPAN lang="he" dir=rtl title="HL">&he;&lamed;</SPAN>
> (of course I have hex codes instead of named entities).
>
> Now I don't know Hebrew; I just lernt the alphabet for the purpose
> of my web site. I cannot draw much information out of Hebrew web
> pages. Can you, as a more knowledgeable person, point me to any page
> that is predomonantly in English (or any other language based on the
> Latin script), but has interspersed Hebrew word correctly rendered
> on your browser?

Here is one that has Yiddish for travelers. Words are presented in
English translation, Hebrew (Yiddish naturally uses the Hebrew
alphabet) and Yiddish transliterated into the Latin alphabet. If you
speak German, you'll probably understand many of the transliterated
words.

<http://www.travlang.com/languages/cgi-bin/langchoice.cgi?page=main&lang1=english&lang2=yiddi sh>

This renders the Hebrew correctly in Opera 6.0, Mozilla 5.0, IE 5.0
and Netscape 7.2.

-bwg

http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/...e-harmful.html
> http://james.jlcarroll.net/symbolism/onycha.html
> all have their Hebrew quotes rendered wrongly by my Opera. If you
> can find a better example, and it this can be made to run on
> standard-complying browsers as well, I'll try to fix the problem.

smithfarms pure kona

On 30 Jan 2004 19:16:33 +1300, "Loki" > wrote:

>il Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:04:43 GMT, smithfarms pure kona ha scritto:
>
>> >What kind of climate do they need?

>> They grow here in South Kona, Hawaii at the 1800 foot altitude.

Sub
>> tropical is what they like. Lowest cold temp of the year is about

50
>> and never gets to 90 on hot summer days. If you can grow white

ginger
>> etc. you ought to be able to grow cardamom.
>>
>> aloha, Thunder

>Thanks for the info.
>Right now it's sub tropical, but it should be hot and searing, and
>then freezing in winter (temperate) at about sea level. They'd
>probably need a glasshouse here. Pity.

Sorry. We live in a zone deemed subtropical, and I guess you don't.
I thought from your name Loki that you might be from the Pacific.

aloha,
Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Dan Abel

In article >, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> BTW, what I bought at the Pakistani food store
> under the name of "cardamom" was much different
> from a jar of some spice my mom bought when
> I was a kid, which I'm pretty sure was also sold
> as "cardamom". However, the stuff I bought were
> long green seed pods (about 20 mm x 5 mm x 2 mm)
> with a thin brittle skin containing spherical seeds like
> mustard. What my mom bought were roughly spherical
> off-white seed pods, about 10 mm in diameter, that
> were thick and soft, containing small dark seeds in
> the center. Is it possible that there's more than one
> spice called cardamom?

Yes, but it isn't that one. Penzey's sells three different kinds of
cardamom: green, white and black. The black resembles the green but is
much larger and has a stronger flavor with a definite "smoky" aroma. It
is also much cheaper, which is why some people use it instead of the
green. The white is even more expensive than the green, is is said to be
used in Scandinavia.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Gernot Katzer wrote:

> (Barry Grau) wrote

> > By the way, I notice that the Spice Pages give the Hebrew word
> > backward (written from left to right) or else transliterates it
> > backward -- the transliteration he gives is "hel" but the Hebrew text
> > reads "leh." As if anyone else cares.

> Well, as the author i *do* care.

Well then, my apologies for striding in with a comment about this,
even though off-topic for the group...

> I see a _lamed_ left of a _he_,

indeed

> and the name should be hel (הל). It appears this way
> with Mozilla 1.3 and Internet Explorer 6;

I don't see anything to complain about with your HTML markup.
Theoretically, the dir=rtl attribute _should_ not be necessary here,
since the Hebrew characters have inherent rtl directionality, and
there are no direction-neutral characters to cause ambiguity. But the
addition of dir=rtl is often useful (for confused browsers!), even
where in theory it is redundant.

> Opera 6.12, I have to concede, renders the Hebrew words incorrectly.

Indeed, that was also my impression for the 6.xx versions of Opera
which I had tried.

However, this prompted me to download their current offering (7.23),
and I can report that it displays your page correctly.

> The markup basically is
> <SPAN lang="he" dir=rtl title="HL">&he;&lamed;</SPAN>
> (of course I have hex codes instead of named entities).

To get (small amounts of) rtl scripts to be presented "correctly" also
on browsers which don't support rtl, the workaround seems to be
to write the text the "wrong way around" (this will then appear
visually to be the correct way around on browsers which don't support
rtl), and in addition use <bdo dir=ltr> to overrule the inherent
directionality of the rtl characters for browsers which would
otherwise be trying to reverse the direction. However, I must stress
that this is *not* a recommended technique, since it is likely to
cause the strings to be indexed back-to-front by search engines and
the like.

Also I mentioned using this only for "small amounts" of rtl scripts,
because otherwise browsers make a terrible mess of paragraph line flow
and alignment. Read about the older convention of "visual
iso-8859-8", for example at Nir Dagan's pages (link from my page cited
below)

> Now I don't know Hebrew; I just lernt the alphabet for the purpose
> of my web site. I cannot draw much information out of Hebrew web
> pages.

I must stress also that I am no reader of Hebrew: my interest is in
the technology of character coding and HTML markup.

> Can you, as a more knowledgeable person, point me to any page
> that is predomonantly in English (or any other language based on the
> Latin script), but has interspersed Hebrew word correctly rendered
> on your browser?

You can find a few notes about this on my page
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/...direction.html

> can find a better example, and it this can be made to run on
> standard-complying browsers as well, I'll try to fix the problem.

I would have to recommend not "fixing the problem" - because you would
be basically breaking the HTML source in order to pander to broken
browsers. But if you really wanted to, I have mentioned a way to do
it.

Hope this is useful. If you really want to go into this in detail,
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html would seem a very relevant venue
for the discussion, without disrupting the on-topic matters here on
this group ;-)

Gruesse.
Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Barry Grau wrote:

> <http://www.travlang.com/languages/cgi-bin/langchoice.cgi?page=main&lang1=english&lang2=yiddi sh>
>
> This renders the Hebrew correctly

Sorry, but it doesn't "render" the Hebrew at all - the Hebrew words
are images of text (and they don't even have their mandatory "alt"
attributes for text-mode browsing).
Gernot Katzer

"Alan J. Flavell" > wrote

>>> reads "leh." As if anyone else cares.

>> Well, as the author i *do* care.

> Well then, my apologies for striding in with a comment about this,
> even though off-topic for the group...

Hi Alan. Nice to meet you again; obviously, you have the habit
of googling for recent quotes to your site. The same brought me
here. Funny that we should have two times to converse about Hebrew
characters ;-)

>> I see a _lamed_ left of a _he_,

> indeed

That's reassuring for me.

> To get (small amounts of) rtl scripts to be presented "correctly" also
> on browsers which don't support rtl, the workaround seems to be
> to write the text the "wrong way around" (this will then appear
> visually to be the correct way around on browsers which don't support
> rtl), and in addition use <bdo dir=ltr> to overrule the inherent
> directionality of the rtl characters for browsers which would
> otherwise be trying to reverse the direction. However, I must stress
> that this is *not* a recommended technique, since it is likely to
> cause the strings to be indexed back-to-front by search engines and
> the like.

You state your point clearly enough. I will not try this abomination,
but encourage people to update their browser instead. Not everything
broken can be fixed (at reasonable price).

> You can find a few notes about this on my page
> http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/...direction.html

Taking the opportunity, I have to thank you a lot for your web pages
that, some time ago, tought me lots about character representation
and enabled me to author functional multilingual HTML pages.

Best wishes,

--
Gernot
Anharmonic Thermochemistry: http://bthec11.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer

Cardamom et al Roy[_4_] General Cooking 19 09-03-2017 11:42 PM
CARDAMOM No Name General Cooking 21 22-09-2009 12:04 PM
Cardamom Snaps Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 06-12-2006 03:57 AM
Cardamom Sea Bass AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2006 05:11 AM
Cardamom Cake Doug Kanter General Cooking 23 18-04-2006 05:01 AM