Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey Day: Surprised Pesto isn't better represented!

I think basil pesto could stand tall against cranberry sauce with turkey.

I've never seen it at the table. Why do you suppose?

It sounds great, imho.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>I think basil pesto could stand tall against cranberry sauce with turkey.
>
> I've never seen it at the table. Why do you suppose?
>
> It sounds great, imho.
>
> Andy

The original idea of Thanksgiving dinner is composed of traditional foods.
The traditional foods are Fall harvest items. Basil is not one of the foods
that is still available at this time of the year for most of the US. I
think Rachel Ray or Giada was using basil in some sort of dish this last
week -- or maybe it was Michael what's-his-name.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>>I think basil pesto could stand tall against cranberry sauce with
>>turkey.
>>
>> I've never seen it at the table. Why do you suppose?
>>
>> It sounds great, imho.
>>
>> Andy

> The original idea of Thanksgiving dinner is composed of traditional
> foods. The traditional foods are Fall harvest items. Basil is not one
> of the foods that is still available at this time of the year for most
> of the US. I think Rachel Ray or Giada was using basil in some sort
> of dish this last week -- or maybe it was Michael what's-his-name.
> Janet

Hrrumph!

This is the 21st century! It is available year round!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The original idea of Thanksgiving dinner is composed of traditional
foods.
The traditional foods are Fall harvest items.
For Northern Europeans
Basil is not one of the foods
Basil is but Pesto is not "traditional" to Plymouth Rock
Traditionalists
How about Pumpkin Ravioli?
> that is still available at this time of the year for most of the US. I
> think Rachel Ray or Giada was using basil in some sort of dish this last
> week -- or maybe it was Michael what's-his-name.
> Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PhilR said...

> The original idea of Thanksgiving dinner is composed of traditional
> foods.
> The traditional foods are Fall harvest items.
> For Northern Europeans
> Basil is not one of the foods
> Basil is but Pesto is not "traditional" to Plymouth Rock
> Traditionalists
> How about Pumpkin Ravioli?
>> that is still available at this time of the year for most of the US.

>> think Rachel Ray or Giada was using basil in some sort of dish this

last
>> week -- or maybe it was Michael what's-his-name.
>> Janet

The pilgrims didn't celebrate Thanksgiving. Whatever it was THEY
celebrated, they sure didn't eat cranberries. A lot of the things we eat
at Thanksgiving, the pilgrims didn't have available. They ate whatever
they could scrape together.

Did you miss the show Alton Brown did??

Snap out of it!

Live dangerously!

Aw, nevermind. I'd serve pesto at MY table.

Ya stuffy ol' crumbs!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet B." > wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> >I think basil pesto could stand tall against cranberry sauce with turkey.
> >
> > I've never seen it at the table. Why do you suppose?
> >
> > It sounds great, imho.
> >
> > Andy

> The original idea of Thanksgiving dinner is composed of traditional foods.
> The traditional foods are Fall harvest items. Basil is not one of the foods
> that is still available at this time of the year for most of the US. I
> think Rachel Ray or Giada was using basil in some sort of dish this last
> week -- or maybe it was Michael what's-his-name.
> Janet

I plan on using a small amount of Basil in the dressing this year.
Fresh, not dried.

I'm also considering butter and fresh herbs stuffed under the skin. I've
never tried that with turkey, but I have done it with chicken with good
success.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Janet B. said...
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>>>I think basil pesto could stand tall against cranberry sauce with
>>>turkey.
>>>
>>> I've never seen it at the table. Why do you suppose?
>>>
>>> It sounds great, imho.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> The original idea of Thanksgiving dinner is composed of traditional
>> foods. The traditional foods are Fall harvest items. Basil is not one
>> of the foods that is still available at this time of the year for most
>> of the US. I think Rachel Ray or Giada was using basil in some sort
>> of dish this last week -- or maybe it was Michael what's-his-name.
>> Janet

> Hrrumph!
>
> This is the 21st century! It is available year round!
>
> Andy

Okey, Dokey. . .I thought you were contemplating the lack of use in
traditional, times-past Thanksgiving dinners. Today -- go for it.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> PhilR said...
>

> > The original idea of Thanksgiving dinner is composed of traditional
> > foods.
> > The traditional foods are Fall harvest items.
> > For Northern Europeans
> > Basil is not one of the foods
> > Basil is but Pesto is not "traditional" to Plymouth Rock
> > Traditionalists
> > How about Pumpkin Ravioli?
> >> that is still available at this time of the year for most of the US.

> >> think Rachel Ray or Giada was using basil in some sort of dish this

> last
> >> week -- or maybe it was Michael what's-his-name.
> >> Janet

> The pilgrims didn't celebrate Thanksgiving. Whatever it was THEY
> celebrated, they sure didn't eat cranberries. A lot of the things we eat
> at Thanksgiving, the pilgrims didn't have available. They ate whatever
> they could scrape together.
>
> Did you miss the show Alton Brown did??
>
> Snap out of it!
>
> Live dangerously!
>
> Aw, nevermind. I'd serve pesto at MY table.
>
> Ya stuffy ol' crumbs!
>
> Andy

Now that I'm having guests, I'll need to go ahead and do a munchie tray.
Pesto makes nice veggie dip and I can get some good stuff pre-made.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> PhilR said...
>>

>> > The original idea of Thanksgiving dinner is composed of
>> > traditional
>> > foods.
>> > The traditional foods are Fall harvest items.
>> > For Northern Europeans
>> > Basil is not one of the foods
>> > Basil is but Pesto is not "traditional" to Plymouth Rock
>> > Traditionalists
>> > How about Pumpkin Ravioli?

>> last

>> The pilgrims didn't celebrate Thanksgiving. Whatever it was THEY
>> celebrated, they sure didn't eat cranberries. A lot of the things we
>> eat at Thanksgiving, the pilgrims didn't have available. They ate
>> whatever they could scrape together.
>>
>> Did you miss the show Alton Brown did??
>>
>> Snap out of it!
>>
>> Live dangerously!
>>
>> Aw, nevermind. I'd serve pesto at MY table.
>>
>> Ya stuffy ol' crumbs!
>>
>> Andy

> Now that I'm having guests, I'll need to go ahead and do a munchie
> tray. Pesto makes nice veggie dip and I can get some good stuff
> pre-made.

Thanks, Om!

YA SEE FOLKS!!! It only takes one brave person with some sensibility to
get the ball rolling on a good idea.

Who's NEXT!?!? STEP UP TO THE PLATE! UNLOOSEN YOUR COLLARS!

Anyone care to one up Om and move the pesto from the munchie tray to the
dinner table?

Anyone??? I can't hear you!!!

Ya bunch o' stuffed shirts!!!

You'd think it was an Olympic event request. Sheesh!!!

))

Andy
Pesto! Pesto!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> > Now that I'm having guests, I'll need to go ahead and do a munchie
> > tray. Pesto makes nice veggie dip and I can get some good stuff
> > pre-made.

> Thanks, Om!
>
> YA SEE FOLKS!!! It only takes one brave person with some sensibility to
> get the ball rolling on a good idea.
>
> Who's NEXT!?!? STEP UP TO THE PLATE! UNLOOSEN YOUR COLLARS!
>
> Anyone care to one up Om and move the pesto from the munchie tray to the
> dinner table?
>
> Anyone??? I can't hear you!!!
>
> Ya bunch o' stuffed shirts!!!
>
> You'd think it was an Olympic event request. Sheesh!!!
>
> ))
>
> Andy
> Pesto! Pesto!

<lol>

Adventures in Thanksgiving appetizers!

Thanks for the idea....
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 10:14*am, Andy wrote:

On November 21, 2006, Andy wrote:

> YA SEE FOLKS!!! It only takes one brave
> person with some sensibility to
> get the ball rolling on a good idea.

> Who's NEXT!?!? STEP UP TO THE
> PLATE! UNLOOSEN YOUR COLLARS!

No one-upping and no pesto, but I'm having one maritini, rack of lamb
(with suitable ac-companiments), cheese with fruit and nuts and a port
or two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS said...

> On Nov 21, 10:14*am, Andy wrote:
>
> On November 21, 2006, Andy wrote:
>
>> YA SEE FOLKS!!! It only takes one brave
>> person with some sensibility to
>> get the ball rolling on a good idea.

>> Who's NEXT!?!? STEP UP TO THE
>> PLATE! UNLOOSEN YOUR COLLARS!

> No one-upping and no pesto, but I'm having one maritini, rack of lamb
> (with suitable ac-companiments), cheese with fruit and nuts and a port
> or two.

That's a nice alternative!

I went out and picked up an Omaha Steaks 2 lb. chateaubriand for Friday,
in case I lose the leftover lottery.

Have a happy thanksgiving.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Omelet said...
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> PhilR said...

> >> last
> >>

> >> The pilgrims didn't celebrate Thanksgiving. Whatever it was THEY
> >> celebrated, they sure didn't eat cranberries. A lot of the things we
> >> eat at Thanksgiving, the pilgrims didn't have available. They ate
> >> whatever they could scrape together.
> >>
> >> Did you miss the show Alton Brown did??
> >>
> >> Snap out of it!
> >>
> >> Live dangerously!
> >>
> >> Aw, nevermind. I'd serve pesto at MY table.
> >>
> >> Ya stuffy ol' crumbs!
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Now that I'm having guests, I'll need to go ahead and do a munchie
> > tray. Pesto makes nice veggie dip and I can get some good stuff
> > pre-made.

> Thanks, Om!
>
> YA SEE FOLKS!!! It only takes one brave person with some sensibility to
> get the ball rolling on a good idea.
>
> Who's NEXT!?!? STEP UP TO THE PLATE! UNLOOSEN YOUR COLLARS!
>
> Anyone care to one up Om and move the pesto from the munchie tray to the
> dinner table?

Shouldn't that brave person be you?
It being your really great idea and all.....

Anyway, I don't get to choose the menu, I've never been able to cook a
holiday meal in my life. I am pies. Pies at the end of a giant meal
when no one can stuff in another morsel. It's thankless.

This year I'm bringing stealth gravlax also.

Good luck with the pesto plan.
Susan (poor poor pitiful meeeee) B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 2006, Andy wrote:

> Have a happy thanksgiving.

Thank you. Likewise! I left out a nice Oregon Pinot Noir with the lamb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb said...

> Shouldn't that brave person be you?
> It being your really great idea and all.....
>
> Anyway, I don't get to choose the menu, I've never been able to cook a
> holiday meal in my life. I am pies. Pies at the end of a giant meal
> when no one can stuff in another morsel. It's thankless.
>
> This year I'm bringing stealth gravlax also.
>
> Good luck with the pesto plan.
> Susan (poor poor pitiful meeeee) B.

Sueb,

I'd bring some but my cousin and wife are probably stressing enough as it
is. I'm familiar with Thanksgiving there!

I'll hang with the nieces and nephews as usual, let them climb all over
Uncle Andy and I'll enjoy the heck out of it.

It's always been more fun that way.

And then the nieces and nephews will cry being sent to bed while I'm
still around, as usual.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:11:46 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I think basil pesto could stand tall against cranberry sauce with turkey.
>
>I've never seen it at the table. Why do you suppose?

Should work well indeed. And don't forget Calvin Trillin's campaign
to make spaghetti carbonara the official dish of Thanksgiving.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> The pilgrims didn't celebrate Thanksgiving. Whatever it was THEY
> celebrated, they sure didn't eat cranberries. A lot of the things we eat
> at Thanksgiving, the pilgrims didn't have available. They ate whatever
> they could scrape together.
>
> Did you miss the show Alton Brown did??
>
> Snap out of it!
>
> Live dangerously!
>
> Aw, nevermind. I'd serve pesto at MY table.
>
> Ya stuffy ol' crumbs!
>
> Andy

Cranberries are native to North America and were (and still are) a wild
plant in that area. They flourish in the soil of areas that saw certain
glacial activity. We pick wild cranberries every year not far from here
in an area that has similar soil. The Native Americans were eating them
before the Pilgrims arrived. From the demonstrations I have seen they
were made into an unsweetened chewable "fruit leather".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:28:04 -0500, George >
wrote:

>Cranberries are native to North America and were (and still are) a wild
>plant in that area. They flourish in the soil of areas that saw certain
>glacial activity. We pick wild cranberries every year not far from here
>in an area that has similar soil. The Native Americans were eating them
>before the Pilgrims arrived. From the demonstrations I have seen they
>were made into an unsweetened chewable "fruit leather".

Mmmm! Sounds good! I hope Ocean Spray reads your post and goes for
the idea. I'd buy it.

--
See return address to reply by email