Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Pleasantly surprised by a teabag

The other day I was in the Korean market and picked up a super cheap
box of Oolong teabags for work. (20 in a box for $0.99) It is "Sea Dyke
Brand" (yeah, it's OK to laugh) Fujian Oolong in a yellow box. This tea
has great flavor and is way above any lowly expectations I had when
buying it. Just an FYI, can't ever go wrong finding a good quality
dirt-cheap tea. Anyone else have any great, cheap, asian market
favorites?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > writes:

> The other day I was in the Korean market and picked up a super cheap
> box of Oolong teabags for work. (20 in a box for $0.99) It is "Sea Dyke
> Brand" (yeah, it's OK to laugh) Fujian Oolong in a yellow box. This tea
> has great flavor and is way above any lowly expectations I had when
> buying it.

Just plain oolong? No varietal? Sea Dyke loose leaf oolongs, which
run a penny a gram in New York's Chinatowns, come in Shui Xian,
Tieguanyin, etc. Some of them, by the way, I find loathsome, some
drinkable.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> Just plain oolong? No varietal? Sea Dyke loose leaf oolongs, which
> run a penny a gram in New York's Chinatowns, come in Shui Xian,
> Tieguanyin, etc. Some of them, by the way, I find loathsome, some
> drinkable.

Yep, just plain Fujian Oolong in teabags. It basically cost me 2
cents/gram and it is a very good oolong. Don't get me wrong, I truly
love a real quality oolong... but this is a highly drinkable super
cheap oolong. I know I was surprised. I'm not saying it will replace
any true quality tea, just that for what it is, it is quite good.

- Dominic
Drinking: Hot Cocoa (it was 99 cents and I was cold

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> > Just plain oolong? No varietal? Sea Dyke loose leaf oolongs, which
> > run a penny a gram in New York's Chinatowns, come in Shui Xian,
> > Tieguanyin, etc. Some of them, by the way, I find loathsome, some
> > drinkable.

> Yep, just plain Fujian Oolong in teabags. It basically cost me 2
> cents/gram and it is a very good oolong. Don't get me wrong, I truly
> love a real quality oolong... but this is a highly drinkable super
> cheap oolong. I know I was surprised. I'm not saying it will replace
> any true quality tea, just that for what it is, it is quite good.

Right. I often drink commmodity tea for breakfast, like the Yingde
Hong I got a few months ago in Manhattan's Chinatown for about a penny
a gram.

> - Dominic
> Drinking: Hot Cocoa (it was 99 cents and I was cold

Drinking: fifth steep of 2004 Menghai Silver Bud Bingcha.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Liu An Basket for $4.95 in Chinatown, around cent/gram, highly
drinkable, not the best Li An tea but probably the best value, as it is
usually pretty expensive tea. I drink it mostly at work last at least
two brews.

Unexplained teabag toci Tea 6 03-01-2009 05:18 PM
What is supermarket teabag tea? Rich Tea 8 14-11-2006 10:13 AM
I'm surprised..... Eric Ferguson General Cooking 22 02-10-2006 08:00 AM
Teabag holders Ian Bartholomew Tea 1 04-03-2006 07:11 PM
Pleasantly surprised to see this article Dana Myers Barbecue 8 10-06-2004 04:08 PM