Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate frogs

Chocolate FROGS

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
2 cups sugar
6 Tbsp Cocoa
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup coconut
3 cups quick oats

Mix, milk, margarine, sugar& cocoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add vanilla, coconut,& oats, mix thoroughly and drop from tablespoon onto
wax paper or cookie sheets.
Chill until set& enjoy!

My family has made these every year for as long as I can remember (at least
30 + years) . They are a special treat at Christmas, or at bake sales. The
bonus is that they freeze excellently . That is as long as you don't eat
them all right away

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carla wrote:

> Chocolate FROGS
>
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
> 2 cups sugar
> 6 Tbsp Cocoa
> 1 tsp Vanilla
> 1 cup coconut
> 3 cups quick oats
>
> Mix, milk, margarine, sugar& cocoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a
> boil.
> Add vanilla, coconut,& oats, mix thoroughly and drop from tablespoon onto
> wax paper or cookie sheets.
> Chill until set& enjoy!
>

> My family has made these every year for as long as I can remember (at
> least 30 + years) . They are a special treat at Christmas, or at bake
> sales. The bonus is that they freeze excellently . That is as long as
> you don't eat them all right away .

Thanks, Carla! I've saved this recipe, and I'll certainly make it sometime
around the holidays. I might try adding nuts and/or raisins to part of it,
too, just because I like to tinker around and ruin perfection. It's a guy
thing. :-)

Apparently, these are no relation to CRUNCHY Frogs.

From http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/crunchy.htm:

Praline: Superintendent Parrot and I are from the hygiene squad. We want to
have a word with you about your box of chocolates entified The Whizzo
Quality Assortment.

Milton: Ah, yes.

Praline: (producing box of chocolates) If I may begin at the beginning.
First there is the cherry fondue. This is extremely nasty, but we can't
prosecute you for that.

Milton: Agreed.

Praline: Next we have number four, 'crunchy frog'.

Milton: Ah, yes.

Praline: Am I right in thinking there's a real frog in here?

Milton: Yes. A little one.

Praline: What sort of frog?

Milton: A dead frog.

Praline: Is it cooked?

Milton: No.

Praline: What, a raw frog?

(Superintendent Parrot looks increasingly queasy.)

Milton: We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq,
cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in
a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and
lovingly frosted with glucose.

Praline: That's as maybe, it's still a frog.

Milton: What else?

Praline: Well don't you even take the bones out?

Milton: If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy would it?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Carla Gilliss" > wrote in message
> Chocolate FROGS
>
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
> 2 cups sugar
> 6 Tbsp Cocoa
> 1 tsp Vanilla
> 1 cup coconut
> 3 cups quick oats
>
> Mix, milk, margarine, sugar& cocoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a
> boil.
> Add vanilla, coconut,& oats, mix thoroughly and drop from tablespoon onto
> wax paper or cookie sheets.
> Chill until set& enjoy!
> My family has made these every year for as long as I can remember (at
> least 30 + years) . They are a special treat at Christmas, or at bake
> sales. The bonus is that they freeze excellently . That is as long as
> you don't eat them all right away

These sound VERY similar to the treats we used to have on our lunch trays in
the grammar school cafeteria. As a child, I absolutely adored them. Must
give this a try, a little walk down memory lane.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Carla Gilliss" > wrote in message
> Chocolate FROGS
>
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
> 2 cups sugar
> 6 Tbsp Cocoa
> 1 tsp Vanilla
> 1 cup coconut
> 3 cups quick oats
>
> Mix, milk, margarine, sugar& cocoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a

boil.
> Add vanilla, coconut,& oats, mix thoroughly and drop from tablespoon onto
> wax paper or cookie sheets.
> Chill until set& enjoy!

This is basically what is called chocolate drop cookies, or boiled cookies,
in my circle. Very yummy!
Oh but without the coconut. Sometimes I put peanutbutter in it also, when
it's time to mix in the vanilla and oats. Crunchy peanutbutter is best.
Marie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carla Gilliss wrote:
> Chocolate FROGS
>
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
> 2 cups sugar
> 6 Tbsp Cocoa
> 1 tsp Vanilla
> 1 cup coconut
> 3 cups quick oats
>
> Mix, milk, margarine, sugar& cocoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
> Add vanilla, coconut,& oats, mix thoroughly and drop from tablespoon onto
> wax paper or cookie sheets.
> Chill until set& enjoy!
>

> My family has made these every year for as long as I can remember (at least
> 30 + years) . They are a special treat at Christmas, or at bake sales. The
> bonus is that they freeze excellently . That is as long as you don't eat
> them all right away

What's the charm to make them hop around like the chocolate frogs in
Harry Potter?

Come on, finish the recipe! ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lobster Man" > wrote in message
news5jRg.144$V6.87@fed1read06...
> Carla Gilliss wrote:
>> Chocolate FROGS
>>
>> 1/2 cup milk
>> 1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
>> 2 cups sugar
>> 6 Tbsp Cocoa
>> 1 tsp Vanilla
>> 1 cup coconut
>> 3 cups quick oats

What are quick oats? There are so many different sorts of oats. Would it
make a difference? There are 1 min oats, 3 min oats, rolled oats, porridge,
instant porridge. That's only some I can think of from the top of my head.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 24 Sep 2006 12:51:40a, Jen meant to say...

> "Lobster Man" > wrote in message
> news5jRg.144$V6.87@fed1read06...
>> Carla Gilliss wrote:
>>> Chocolate FROGS
>>>
>>> 1/2 cup milk
>>> 1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
>>> 2 cups sugar
>>> 6 Tbsp Cocoa
>>> 1 tsp Vanilla
>>> 1 cup coconut
>>> 3 cups quick oats

> What are quick oats? There are so many different sorts of oats. Would
> it make a difference? There are 1 min oats, 3 min oats, rolled oats,
> porridge, instant porridge. That's only some I can think of from the
> top of my head.
>
> Jen

The 1 or 3 min. oats would work best.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Recent polls reveal that some people have never
been polled. Until recently. --George Carlin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
8.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 24 Sep 2006 12:51:40a, Jen meant to say...
>
> The 1 or 3 min. oats would work best.

Thanks.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jen" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 8.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 24 Sep 2006 12:51:40a, Jen meant to say...
>>
>> The 1 or 3 min. oats would work best.

Do you think I could substitute corn flakes or rice bubbles for the oats?
That way it would be coeliac friendly for my niece.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 24 Sep 2006 03:25:34p, Jen meant to say...

> "Jen" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 8.19...
>>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 24 Sep 2006 12:51:40a, Jen meant to say...
>>>
>>> The 1 or 3 min. oats would work best.

> Do you think I could substitute corn flakes or rice bubbles for the oats?
> That way it would be coeliac friendly for my niece.
>
> Jen

Yes, of course. I think I would prefer the rice bubbles for texture. The
group of ingredients in that recipe do not sound critical to the success of
it. I think it could tolerate many variations.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Recent polls reveal that some people have never
been polled. Until recently. --George Carlin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 24 Sep 2006 03:25:34p, Jen meant to say...
>

>> "Jen" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> 8.19...

>> Do you think I could substitute corn flakes or rice bubbles for the oats?
>> That way it would be coeliac friendly for my niece.
>>
>> Jen

> Yes, of course. I think I would prefer the rice bubbles for texture. The
> group of ingredients in that recipe do not sound critical to the success
> of
> it. I think it could tolerate many variations.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks again. I always forget to make gluten
free things for my niece when we have a family get together, which we'll be
having this weekend, so here's a start.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carla Gilliss wrote:
> Chocolate FROGS
>
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
> 2 cups sugar
> 6 Tbsp Cocoa
> 1 tsp Vanilla
> 1 cup coconut
> 3 cups quick oats
>
> Mix, milk, margarine, sugar& cocoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
> Add vanilla, coconut,& oats, mix thoroughly and drop from tablespoon onto
> wax paper or cookie sheets.
> Chill until set& enjoy!
>

> My family has made these every year for as long as I can remember (at least
> 30 + years) . They are a special treat at Christmas, or at bake sales. The
> bonus is that they freeze excellently . That is as long as you don't eat
> them all right away

I prepared Chocolate Frogs yesterday (added one half cup of chopped
pecans). After the chocolate seizure wore off, The Fam agreed that
they were most excellent!

Thanks!

Frogs/Princes gtr General Cooking 149 25-09-2015 03:41 PM
Frogs! Mark Thorson General Cooking 48 29-05-2010 10:15 AM
Chocolate Frogs Carla Gilliss Recipes (moderated) 0 23-09-2006 04:42 AM