Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frogs!

I noticed a new item at the nearby Asian food store
today: frogs! Actually, I should say frog. There
was only one frog in the cage.

I've only made frog once, and it was merely okay.
I got violently ill, but there were two other
novel food items I ate that day (the vietnamese
chili sauce with the rooster on it and imported
Chinese pine nuts), so I can't be sure it was
the frog. I've been avoiding that chili sauce
for the last 20 years because of that incident.

This market keeps getting more interesting.
They regularly carry two types of live turtles.
I'm much more interested in turtle than frog.
They have a sign on the turtle cage warning you
not to stick your fingers in the cage because
they'll bite you.

The clams today were in miserable condition.
They weren't squirting worth a darn, so I
gave up on my plan of clams for breakfast
this morning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I noticed a new item at the nearby Asian food store
> today: frogs! Actually, I should say frog. There
> was only one frog in the cage.
>
> I've only made frog once, and it was merely okay.
> I got violently ill, but there were two other
> novel food items I ate that day (the vietnamese
> chili sauce with the rooster on it and imported
> Chinese pine nuts), so I can't be sure it was
> the frog. I've been avoiding that chili sauce
> for the last 20 years because of that incident.
>
> This market keeps getting more interesting.
> They regularly carry two types of live turtles.
> I'm much more interested in turtle than frog.
> They have a sign on the turtle cage warning you
> not to stick your fingers in the cage because
> they'll bite you.
>
> The clams today were in miserable condition.
> They weren't squirting worth a darn, so I
> gave up on my plan of clams for breakfast
> this morning.

Live frogs? Wow.

I have eaten frog legs and find them to be rather good. Fiesta on
Stassney and IH-36 South are carrying frozen frog legs for a good price.
If I do decide to buy some, they will be deep fried and photographed. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Live frogs? Wow.
>
> I have eaten frog legs and find them to be rather good. Fiesta on
> Stassney and IH-36 South are carrying frozen frog legs for a good price.
> If I do decide to buy some, they will be deep fried and photographed. <g>

I have had them a few times in French restaurants and they were pretty
good cooked in lots of garlic butter. I didn't have a lot of success
cooking them myself. Maybe it's time to try again. There are some huge
bull frogs in my neighbour's pond. Eating them would quiet things down
at night.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> This market keeps getting more interesting.
> They regularly carry two types of live turtles.
> I'm much more interested in turtle than frog.
> They have a sign on the turtle cage warning you
> not to stick your fingers in the cage because
> they'll bite you.

I would say, don't put your fingers in the turtle container because
they carry salmonella. It's very common. You might forget to wash
your hands.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:30:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I have had them a few times in French restaurants and they were pretty
> good cooked in lots of garlic butter. I didn't have a lot of success
> cooking them myself. Maybe it's time to try again. There are some huge
> bull frogs in my neighbour's pond. Eating them would quiet things down
> at night.

Aren't all those night noises part of the reason you live in the
country?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:30:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > I have had them a few times in French restaurants and they were pretty
> > good cooked in lots of garlic butter. I didn't have a lot of success
> > cooking them myself. Maybe it's time to try again. There are some huge
> > bull frogs in my neighbour's pond. Eating them would quiet things down
> > at night.

> Aren't all those night noises part of the reason you live in the
> country?

30 years ago when I moved in here, the frogs
were so loud that in the evening if I made
a phone call, friends would ask me about that
background noise. Then the frog population
declined greatly, and I hardly ever heard them,
but in the past year or so they've started to
make a comeback. I do hear the chorus at
night these days, but not nearly as loud
as it was 30 years ago.

I don't think these are eatin' frogs, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Live frogs? Wow.
> >
> > I have eaten frog legs and find them to be rather good. Fiesta on
> > Stassney and IH-36 South are carrying frozen frog legs for a good price.
> > If I do decide to buy some, they will be deep fried and photographed. <g>

> I have had them a few times in French restaurants and they were pretty
> good cooked in lots of garlic butter. I didn't have a lot of success
> cooking them myself. Maybe it's time to try again. There are some huge
> bull frogs in my neighbour's pond. Eating them would quiet things down
> at night.

<lol> Do you have a frog gig?

I've only ever had them deep fried, but I'll bet they'd be good saute'd
in olive oil, butter and garlic.

Maybe with a bit of dill weed and lemon peel?

That is how I like shrimp.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> > This market keeps getting more interesting.
> > They regularly carry two types of live turtles.
> > I'm much more interested in turtle than frog.
> > They have a sign on the turtle cage warning you
> > not to stick your fingers in the cage because
> > they'll bite you.
> >

> I would say, don't put your fingers in the turtle container because
> they carry salmonella. It's very common. You might forget to wash
> your hands.
>
> N.

The most common turtle eaten is snapping turtle. They can literally take
a fingertip off:

<http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/snapping.htm>

Don't let that pic fool you. Their necks are almost as long as their
shells! I used to have a pet one that I "rescued" in Louisiana that was
for sale for eating. <g> She eventually escaped as I kept her pen
outdoors. I'm sure she ended up in the local river. I fed her feeder
goldfish.

But your warning for Salmonella is accurate. It's a common issue with
pet turtles, altho' I kept 6 (native) ornate box tortoises for several
years as pets and never had an issue. I practice good handwashing. I
finally donated them to the local nature center when I was cutting back
on responsibilities. They built them a very nice pen and they are now
part of a local exhibit. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-26, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> background noise. Then the frog population
> declined greatly, and I hardly ever heard them,

Frogs are incredibly sensitive to environmental changes. They've
completely disappeared in some parts of the World.

> but in the past year or so they've started to
> make a comeback. I do hear the chorus at
> night these days, but not nearly as loud
> as it was 30 years ago.
>
> I don't think these are eatin' frogs, though.

Bull frogs are your usual food source. Go catch a few. Frogs are also
very prone to mutation. Maybe the new ones have more than two legs!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:30:47 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have had them a few times in French restaurants and they were pretty
> good cooked in lots of garlic butter. I didn't have a lot of success
> cooking them myself. Maybe it's time to try again. There are some huge
> bull frogs in my neighbour's pond. Eating them would quiet things down
> at night.

If there's anything that "tastes like chicken", it's frogs legs.

Buy some chicken wings instead.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:31:53 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

> I would say, don't put your fingers in the turtle container because
> they carry salmonella. It's very common. You might forget to wash
> your hands.

And when they bite you, they'll inject salmonella right into the broken
skin, and hence into the bloodstream. A slam dunk for salmonella.

Last week two girls (20-something) were at the local park.
While everybody else was just walking by the snapping turtle making its way
between the pond to the gravel pit, these girls decided to pick it up and
try and return it to the pond.

I said, "DON'T PICK HER ..."

Too late. Now they know.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:30:47 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I have had them a few times in French restaurants and they were pretty
> > good cooked in lots of garlic butter. I didn't have a lot of success
> > cooking them myself. Maybe it's time to try again. There are some huge
> > bull frogs in my neighbour's pond. Eating them would quiet things down
> > at night.

> If there's anything that "tastes like chicken", it's frogs legs.
>
> Buy some chicken wings instead.
>
> -sw

That is so not true...

Frog legs taste like frog legs. Slightly fishy maybe.

But not like chicken.

Oh, I forgot. You smoke so the majority of your tastebuds are dead.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> I noticed a new item at the nearby Asian food store
> today: frogs! Actually, I should say frog. There
> was only one frog in the cage.
>
> I've only made frog once, and it was merely okay.
> I got violently ill, but there were two other
> novel food items I ate that day (the vietnamese
> chili sauce with the rooster on it and imported
> Chinese pine nuts), so I can't be sure it was
> the frog. I've been avoiding that chili sauce
> for the last 20 years because of that incident.
>
> This market keeps getting more interesting.
> They regularly carry two types of live turtles.
> I'm much more interested in turtle than frog.
> They have a sign on the turtle cage warning you
> not to stick your fingers in the cage because
> they'll bite you.
>
> The clams today were in miserable condition.
> They weren't squirting worth a darn, so I
> gave up on my plan of clams for breakfast
> this morning.

You remind me... Back when I was in my teens, I had a classy
female friend over for dinner. For some reason, I fed her frogs'
legs. Looking back, that was a kind-of crazy choice for one kid
to feed another one!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-27, Jean B. > wrote:

> legs. Looking back, that was a kind-of crazy choice for one kid
> to feed another one!

Not at all. I could catch, skin, and cook frog legs before I was 10.
Sounds like a great dinner.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news | In article >,
| Sqwertz > wrote:
|
| > On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:30:47 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
| >
| > > I have had them a few times in French restaurants and they were pretty
| > > good cooked in lots of garlic butter. I didn't have a lot of success
| > > cooking them myself. Maybe it's time to try again. There are some huge
| > > bull frogs in my neighbour's pond. Eating them would quiet things down
| > > at night.
| >
| > If there's anything that "tastes like chicken", it's frogs legs.
| >
| > Buy some chicken wings instead.
| >
| > -sw
|
| That is so not true...
|
| Frog legs taste like frog legs. Slightly fishy maybe.
|
| But not like chicken.
|
| Oh, I forgot. You smoke so the majority of your tastebuds are dead.
| --

Yeah. Julia Child smoked heavily until 1968. Her tastebuds didn't seem
that bothered, did they?

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:31:53 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> I would say, don't put your fingers in the turtle container because
>> they carry salmonella. It's very common. You might forget to wash
>> your hands.

> And when they bite you, they'll inject salmonella right into the broken
> skin, and hence into the bloodstream. A slam dunk for salmonella.
>
> Last week two girls (20-something) were at the local park.
> While everybody else was just walking by the snapping turtle making its
> way
> between the pond to the gravel pit, these girls decided to pick it up and
> try and return it to the pond.
>
> I said, "DON'T PICK HER ..."
>
> Too late. Now they know.

I don't even think it takes a bite from the turtle to get infected. You
just need to touch something that goes into your mouth. LIke picking your
nose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 22:57:39 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> And when they bite you, they'll inject salmonella right into the broken
>> skin, and hence into the bloodstream. A slam dunk for salmonella.

> I don't even think it takes a bite from the turtle to get infected. You
> just need to touch something that goes into your mouth. LIke picking your
> nose.

Actually, I'm not even sure if you can get it through bites. that
was just a theory of mine since I used to debone large amounts of
chicken, often with small lacerations about the hands. I would
often get sick for a few days after these chicken-boning
escapades.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>I noticed a new item at the nearby Asian food store
> today: frogs! Actually, I should say frog. There
> was only one frog in the cage.
>
> I've only made frog once, and it was merely okay.
> I got violently ill, but there were two other
> novel food items I ate that day (the vietnamese
> chili sauce with the rooster on it and imported
> Chinese pine nuts), so I can't be sure it was
> the frog. I've been avoiding that chili sauce
> for the last 20 years because of that incident.
>
> This market keeps getting more interesting.
> They regularly carry two types of live turtles.
> I'm much more interested in turtle than frog.
> They have a sign on the turtle cage warning you
> not to stick your fingers in the cage because
> they'll bite you.
>
> The clams today were in miserable condition.
> They weren't squirting worth a darn, so I
> gave up on my plan of clams for breakfast
> this morning.

At the risk of being called a killjoy, consider before you buy them that the
state of the terrapin world is quite precarious. They are being pushed to
extinction and the last thing anybody needs to eat is a turtle. Amphibians
are not doing a whole lot better. Most of the frogs you find for food were
taken from the wild where their numbers are plummeting.

Who the hell needs it? It is nothing but vanity to eat them.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:57:10 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> At the risk of being called a killjoy, consider before you buy them that the
> state of the terrapin world is quite precarious. They are being pushed to
> extinction and the last thing anybody needs to eat is a turtle. Amphibians
> are not doing a whole lot better. Most of the frogs you find for food were
> taken from the wild where their numbers are plummeting.

Frogs and turtles are all farm raised when sold as food. So that
store (Marina Foods?), nor their customers, are not contributing
to their decline one bit.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:57:10 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> At the risk of being called a killjoy, consider before you buy them that
>> the
>> state of the terrapin world is quite precarious. They are being pushed
>> extinction and the last thing anybody needs to eat is a turtle.
>> Amphibians
>> are not doing a whole lot better. Most of the frogs you find for food
>> were
>> taken from the wild where their numbers are plummeting.

> Frogs and turtles are all farm raised when sold as food. So that
> store (Marina Foods?), nor their customers, are not contributing
> to their decline one bit.

No they are not farm raised you blithering pinhead. There happens to be a
HUGE poaching industry.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 01:30:40 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> Frogs and turtles are all farm raised when sold as food. So that
>> store (Marina Foods?), nor their customers, are not contributing
>> to their decline one bit.

> No they are not farm raised you blithering pinhead. There happens to be a
> HUGE poaching industry.

<sigh> Yet another Non-Believer.

It's THE LAW, you blithering, frog-poaching pinhead!

You cannot sell wild game in retail stores. You can't sell wild
game for food, period. If you think they poached those turtles
and frogs, then you need to do the right thing and call the cops.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 01:30:40 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Frogs and turtles are all farm raised when sold as food. So that
>>> store (Marina Foods?), nor their customers, are not contributing
>>> to their decline one bit.

>> No they are not farm raised you blithering pinhead. There happens to be
>> HUGE poaching industry.

> <sigh> Yet another Non-Believer.
>
> It's THE LAW, you blithering, frog-poaching pinhead!

Laws are routinely broken you brain dead twit. You can have the best laws
but if you have no enforcement, you ain't got jack.

> You cannot sell wild game in retail stores. You can't sell wild
> game for food, period. If you think they poached those turtles
> and frogs, then you need to do the right thing and call the cops.

Yet it is done all the time because there are very few inspectors. You
rapist.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:57:10 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> >
> >> At the risk of being called a killjoy, consider before you buy them that
> >> the
> >> state of the terrapin world is quite precarious. They are being pushed
> >> extinction and the last thing anybody needs to eat is a turtle.
> >> Amphibians
> >> are not doing a whole lot better. Most of the frogs you find for food
> >> were
> >> taken from the wild where their numbers are plummeting.

> > Frogs and turtles are all farm raised when sold as food. So that
> > store (Marina Foods?), nor their customers, are not contributing
> > to their decline one bit.

> No they are not farm raised you blithering pinhead. There happens to be a
> HUGE poaching industry.
>
> Paul

While I agree with you about the turtles, bullfrogs are actually pests
in some places and hardly endangered, plus they are farmed extensively:

<http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...&aqi=g5g-m2g-m
s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=19d13023017841d>

1,800,000 his on google for frog farming.

I don't eat turtles.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

>> > Frogs and turtles are all farm raised when sold as food. So that
>> > store (Marina Foods?), nor their customers, are not contributing
>> > to their decline one bit.

>> No they are not farm raised you blithering pinhead. There happens to be
>> HUGE poaching industry.
>>
>> Paul

> While I agree with you about the turtles, bullfrogs are actually pests
> in some places and hardly endangered, plus they are farmed extensively:
>
> <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...&aqi=g5g-m2g-m
> s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=19d13023017841d>
>
> 1,800,000 his on google for frog farming.
>
> I don't eat turtles.

Well in Australia they are pests, yes as they invade farmlands. But the
frogs you find in stores are not bullfrogs.

And good on you for sparing the turtles.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2010 6:51 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > wrote in message
> news

>>> No they are not farm raised you blithering pinhead. There happens to be
>>> HUGE poaching industry.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> While I agree with you about the turtles, bullfrogs are actually pests
>> in some places and hardly endangered, plus they are farmed extensively:
>>
>> <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...&aqi=g5g-m2g-m
>> s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=19d13023017841d>
>>
>> 1,800,000 his on google for frog farming.
>>
>> I don't eat turtles.

> Well in Australia they are pests, yes as they invade farmlands. But the
> frogs you find in stores are not bullfrogs.

Ok, if you can tell by looking at them that they are not bullfrogs and
are not farm raised, why haven't you blown the whistle?

> And good on you for sparing the turtles.
>
> Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 02:13:28 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> No they are not farm raised you blithering pinhead. There happens to be
>>> HUGE poaching industry.

>> <sigh> Yet another Non-Believer.
>>
>> It's THE LAW, you blithering, frog-poaching pinhead!

> Laws are routinely broken you brain dead twit. You can have the best laws
> but if you have no enforcement, you ain't got jack.

So you think this restaurant went out and poached it's frogs and
turtles and risked their whole chain of stores?

Uh-huh.

>> You cannot sell wild game in retail stores. You can't sell wild
>> game for food, period. If you think they poached those turtles
>> and frogs, then you need to do the right thing and call the cops.

> Yet it is done all the time because there are very few inspectors.

No, it is not done by established retail grocery stores. Maybe a
bait shop, sure, but not a major grocery store int he Silicon
Valley.

> You rapist.

Nothing too low for you, eh Paul?

Jill, you want a piece of him before I'm done?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 07:54:20 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

> Ok, if you can tell by looking at them that they are not bullfrogs and
> are not farm raised, why haven't you blown the whistle?

Really. If you're so concerned about it, rather than just arguing
about it, why aren't you out there saving the frogs?

I can just see it: Paul rushes into the grocery store like a
militant PETA member decked out in camouflage. He stealthily
moves from pillar to pillar and whispers something into his
walkie-talkie.

He hikes up his collar and puts on his sunglasses and prepares
himself to make his longest, most daring dash yet - to the fish
counter and the frog aquarium next to it.

He gets there, opens the lid, grabs the lone frog [looks around
for more oops - thought there would be more], puts the frog under
his cammies and runs out yelling, "Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah!"
(he got that from Sheldon).

Once outside the store he sets the frog down and says, "When a man
has pity on all living creatures then only is he noble. May all
that have life be delivered from suffering. Go forth and
procreate! Be Free Mr. Frog!".

The frog takes one leap and is then squashed flat by an 18-wheeler
delivering the daily bread.

Paul, sobbing, runs to his pink Pinto gets in and floors it right
into the path of the bread truck...

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:57:10 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
> > At the risk of being called a killjoy, consider before you buy them that the
> > state of the terrapin world is quite precarious. They are being pushed to
> > extinction and the last thing anybody needs to eat is a turtle. Amphibians
> > are not doing a whole lot better. Most of the frogs you find for food were
> > taken from the wild where their numbers are plummeting.

> Frogs and turtles are all farm raised when sold as food. So that
> store (Marina Foods?), nor their customers, are not contributing
> to their decline one bit.

No, it's Maxim. They opened up a year or two ago,
probably after you left the area. They're a mile
or two south of Marina, near the intersection of
85 and De Anza Blvd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> On 5/27/2010 6:51 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> news

>>> While I agree with you about the turtles, bullfrogs are actually pests
>>> in some places and hardly endangered, plus they are farmed extensively:
>>>
>>> <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...&aqi=g5g-m2g-m
>>> s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=19d13023017841d>
>>>
>>> 1,800,000 his on google for frog farming.
>>>
>>> I don't eat turtles.

>> Well in Australia they are pests, yes as they invade farmlands. But the
>> frogs you find in stores are not bullfrogs.

> Ok, if you can tell by looking at them that they are not bullfrogs and are
> not farm raised, why haven't you blown the whistle?

I have not shopped in a store that sells them. If I ever do, I probably
will call fish and game, yes. My sister is a F&G scientist.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 02:13:28 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> <sigh> Yet another Non-Believer.
>>>
>>> It's THE LAW, you blithering, frog-poaching pinhead!

>> Laws are routinely broken you brain dead twit. You can have the best
>> laws
>> but if you have no enforcement, you ain't got jack.

> So you think this restaurant went out and poached it's frogs and
> turtles and risked their whole chain of stores?
>
> Uh-huh.
>
>>> You cannot sell wild game in retail stores. You can't sell wild
>>> game for food, period. If you think they poached those turtles
>>> and frogs, then you need to do the right thing and call the cops.

>> Yet it is done all the time because there are very few inspectors.

> No, it is not done by established retail grocery stores. Maybe a
> bait shop, sure, but not a major grocery store int he Silicon
> Valley.
>
>> You rapist.

> Nothing too low for you, eh Paul?
>
> Jill, you want a piece of him before I'm done?

LOL! Oh you're such a tough guy,
smoooooooooooooooooooooochie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Child molester!

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 07:54:20 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> Ok, if you can tell by looking at them that they are not bullfrogs and
>> are not farm raised, why haven't you blown the whistle?

> Really. If you're so concerned about it, rather than just arguing
> about it, why aren't you out there saving the frogs?
>
> I can just see it: Paul rushes into the grocery store like a
> militant PETA member decked out in camouflage. He stealthily
> moves from pillar to pillar and whispers something into his
> walkie-talkie.
>
> He hikes up his collar and puts on his sunglasses and prepares
> himself to make his longest, most daring dash yet - to the fish
> counter and the frog aquarium next to it.
>
> He gets there, opens the lid, grabs the lone frog [looks around
> for more oops - thought there would be more], puts the frog under
> his cammies and runs out yelling, "Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah!"
> (he got that from Sheldon).
>
> Once outside the store he sets the frog down and says, "When a man
> has pity on all living creatures then only is he noble. May all
> that have life be delivered from suffering. Go forth and
> procreate! Be Free Mr. Frog!".
>
> The frog takes one leap and is then squashed flat by an 18-wheeler
> delivering the daily bread.
>
> Paul, sobbing, runs to his pink Pinto gets in and floors it right
> into the path of the bread truck...

That's ridiculous. I drive a red Jaguar, not a pink Pinto.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 22:52:01 -0400, pavane wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news >| In article >,
>| Sqwertz > wrote:

>|> If there's anything that "tastes like chicken", it's frogs legs.
>|>
>|> Buy some chicken wings instead.
>|>
>|> -sw
>|
>| That is so not true...
>|
>| Frog legs taste like frog legs. Slightly fishy maybe.
>|
>| But not like chicken.
>|
>| Oh, I forgot. You smoke so the majority of your tastebuds are dead.
>| --
>
> Yeah. Julia Child smoked heavily until 1968. Her tastebuds didn't seem
> that bothered, did they?
>
> pavane

when you smoke, you have to cook things so they taste extra-special good.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 08:44:01 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 2010 07:54:20 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> Ok, if you can tell by looking at them that they are not bullfrogs and
>> are not farm raised, why haven't you blown the whistle?

> Really. If you're so concerned about it, rather than just arguing
> about it, why aren't you out there saving the frogs?
>
> I can just see it: Paul rushes into the grocery store like a
> militant PETA member decked out in camouflage. He stealthily
> moves from pillar to pillar and whispers something into his
> walkie-talkie.
>
> He hikes up his collar and puts on his sunglasses and prepares
> himself to make his longest, most daring dash yet - to the fish
> counter and the frog aquarium next to it.
>
> He gets there, opens the lid, grabs the lone frog [looks around
> for more oops - thought there would be more], puts the frog under
> his cammies and runs out yelling, "Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah!"
> (he got that from Sheldon).
>
> Once outside the store he sets the frog down and says, "When a man
> has pity on all living creatures then only is he noble. May all
> that have life be delivered from suffering. Go forth and
> procreate! Be Free Mr. Frog!".
>
> The frog takes one leap and is then squashed flat by an 18-wheeler
> delivering the daily bread.
>
> Paul, sobbing, runs to his pink Pinto gets in and floors it right
> into the path of the bread truck...
>
> -sw

i love a happy ending.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2010 9:12 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> You remind me... Back when I was in my teens, I had a classy female
> friend over for dinner. For some reason, I fed her frogs' legs.
> Looking back, that was a kind-of crazy choice for one kid to feed
> another one!

When I was a kid, any time you ordered a seafood platter, it came with
frog's legs. They were my sister's favorites, so I would trade her my
frog legs for her deviled crab.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,

> >> No they are not farm raised you blithering pinhead. There happens to be
> >> HUGE poaching industry.
> >>
> >> Paul

> > While I agree with you about the turtles, bullfrogs are actually pests
> > in some places and hardly endangered, plus they are farmed extensively:
> >
> > <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...&aqi=g5g-m2g-m
> > s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=19d13023017841d>
> >
> > 1,800,000 his on google for frog farming.
> >
> > I don't eat turtles.

> Well in Australia they are pests, yes as they invade farmlands. But the
> frogs you find in stores are not bullfrogs.

Okay, perhaps not there, but here, the frog legs I find commercially are
usually farm raised bullfrogs. :-)

> And good on you for sparing the turtles.
>
> Paul

I like turtles! And there are not many in the wild anymore except for
maybe red-ears in the south...

The biggest problem with bullfrogs is that they are big enough to eat
any other frogs so devastate native species.

Or so I have read...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> On 5/26/2010 9:12 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> You remind me... Back when I was in my teens, I had a classy female
>> friend over for dinner. For some reason, I fed her frogs' legs. Looking
>> back, that was a kind-of crazy choice for one kid to feed another one!
>>

> When I was a kid, any time you ordered a seafood platter, it came with
> frog's legs. They were my sister's favorites, so I would trade her my
> frog legs for her deviled crab.

Frogs are our friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2010 8:11 PM, cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 5/26/2010 9:12 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>>> You remind me... Back when I was in my teens, I had a classy female
>>> friend over for dinner. For some reason, I fed her frogs' legs. Looking
>>> back, that was a kind-of crazy choice for one kid to feed another one!
>>>

>> When I was a kid, any time you ordered a seafood platter, it came with
>> frog's legs. They were my sister's favorites, so I would trade her my
>> frog legs for her deviled crab.
>>

> Frogs are our friends.

I always thought frog legs had a "sawdust" like after taste, so I never
enjoyed them.

But the other frogs? They completely ticked me off when hitting on my
woman, even when she and I were hand in hand. Pretty rude of them.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > While I agree with you about the turtles, bullfrogs are actually pests
>> > in some places and hardly endangered, plus they are farmed extensively:
>> >
>> > <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...&aqi=g5g-m2g-m
>> > s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=19d13023017841d>
>> >
>> > 1,800,000 his on google for frog farming.
>> >
>> > I don't eat turtles.

>> Well in Australia they are pests, yes as they invade farmlands. But the
>> frogs you find in stores are not bullfrogs.

> Okay, perhaps not there, but here, the frog legs I find commercially are
> usually farm raised bullfrogs. :-)

I am pretty sure toads are an invasive species in Australia. Eating them
would actually be a good thing.

>> And good on you for sparing the turtles.
>>
>> Paul

> I like turtles! And there are not many in the wild anymore except for
> maybe red-ears in the south...
>
> The biggest problem with bullfrogs is that they are big enough to eat
> any other frogs so devastate native species.
>
> Or so I have read...
> --

My sister works for California Fish and Game and she tells me frog poaching,
for restaurant supply, has all but obliterated the frog populations in many
parts of California.

Farm raising frogs is pretty hard as they require pretty clean environments
to thrive. It's hard to replicate an environment where they can grow.
Whichis why frogs are used as an indicator spcies of the health of a
wetland. The more frogs the better. So people take short cuts and go out
frogging in the middle of the night. Its just easier and there is so very
little enforcement of game laws.

And again, who needs frogs legs? Or turtles? Or bison? Or kangaroo? Or
ostrich? Vanity foods I call them.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On 5/26/2010 9:12 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> You remind me... Back when I was in my teens, I had a classy female
>> friend over for dinner. For some reason, I fed her frogs' legs.
>> Looking back, that was a kind-of crazy choice for one kid to feed
>> another one!
>>

> When I was a kid, any time you ordered a seafood platter, it came with
> frog's legs. They were my sister's favorites, so I would trade her my
> frog legs for her deviled crab.
>
> Becca

Sounds like they were the norm there. Up here near Boston, that
was not the case.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 20:30:01 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>"Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Becca wrote:
>>>>

>>> When I was a kid, any time you ordered a seafood platter, it came with
>>> frog's legs. They were my sister's favorites, so I would trade her my
>>> frog legs for her deviled crab.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Sounds like they were the norm there. Up here near Boston, that
>> was not the case.

>When we moved in to our PA home with the pool, we had the filter set to
>auto on. Didn't take but a few days before I'd go to clean out the
>skimmer and there would be a dozen or more tree frogs going around
>backwards in circles!
>
>"Help!!! Mr. Wizard!!!"
>
>That was the end of auto on. I placed a boogie board floating at the
>entry steps in the shallow end so they could eventually climb up on it
>and hop up and escape on a daily basis.

Good man. Frogs are important, their presence is indicative of a
healthy environment. When I mow my meadow in the fall I make sure
to raise my mower sufficently not to harm the little guys.