Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frying chicken - To cover or not to cover? That is the question.

Oh pshaw, on Thu 14 Sep 2006 08:07:13p, Abe meant to say...

> Some recipes call for the following general process, while other just
> say fry in an open skillet without covering at all. Any opinions on
> which works better? Supposedly the 10 minutes of covering helps to
> cook the interior without overcooking the exterior.
>
> PLACE each dusted piece in the skillet, skin-side down. Adjust heat if
> necessary so that it bubbles up, then fries steadily but not too fast.
> Cook about 10 minutes.
>
> TURN pieces and cook 5 minutes longer. Cover skillet, reduce heat
> slightly, and continue to cook about 10 minutes.
>
> REMOVE lid, turn chicken pieces and cook until brown. Remove from fat
> and drain on paper towels or a clean paper bag.

I've done both from time to time and don't notice an appreciable
difference, other than controlling spatter.

--
Wayne Boatwright

All of this generosity has made me tired! * Cat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I've done both from time to time and don't notice an appreciable
> difference, other than controlling spatter.

I also don't think it makes a big difference. But my cover is sort of
vented. The pan has two spouts and the cover goes over these two spouts. If
the cover is rotated slightly, the spouts are uncovered so the steam can get
out, but the spattering is controlled. I suppose this is similar to using a
screen rather than using a cover. The bulk of the spattering is at the
beginning of frying until a large part of the moisture boils off. I cover
during the first half of cooking, and uncover for the rest.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )