Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frying chicken - To cover or not to cover? That is the question.

Abe wrote:
> Some recipes call for the following general process, while other just
> say fry in an open skillet without covering at all. Any opinions on
> which works better? Supposedly the 10 minutes of covering helps to
> cook the interior without overcooking the exterior.
>
> PLACE each dusted piece in the skillet, skin-side down. Adjust heat if
> necessary so that it bubbles up, then fries steadily but not too fast.
> Cook about 10 minutes.
>
> TURN pieces and cook 5 minutes longer. Cover skillet, reduce heat
> slightly, and continue to cook about 10 minutes.
>
> REMOVE lid, turn chicken pieces and cook until brown. Remove from fat
> and drain on paper towels or a clean paper bag.

Covering just wrecks the crust and is not necessary if you are paying
attention. However if your guests are late ... Go ahead and put a lid
on.
Biff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Abe wrote:
> > Some recipes call for the following general process, while other just
> > say fry in an open skillet without covering at all. Any opinions on
> > which works better? Supposedly the 10 minutes of covering helps to
> > cook the interior without overcooking the exterior.
> >
> > PLACE each dusted piece in the skillet, skin-side down. Adjust heat if
> > necessary so that it bubbles up, then fries steadily but not too fast.
> > Cook about 10 minutes.
> >
> > TURN pieces and cook 5 minutes longer. Cover skillet, reduce heat
> > slightly, and continue to cook about 10 minutes.
> >
> > REMOVE lid, turn chicken pieces and cook until brown. Remove from fat
> > and drain on paper towels or a clean paper bag.

> Covering just wrecks the crust and is not necessary if you are paying
> attention. However if your guests are late ... Go ahead and put a lid
> on.
> Biff

======
I used to think the covering of the pan, after browning was to steam the
chicken and keep it from drying out while it finished cooking. Then I
thought you removed the cover the last five minutes to crisp up the skin.
First, let me say that is only what I thought; I do not know if this is a
correct assumption or not.