Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frying chicken - To cover or not to cover? That is the question.

Oh pshaw, on Thu 14 Sep 2006 08:07:13p, Abe meant to say...

> Some recipes call for the following general process, while other just
> say fry in an open skillet without covering at all. Any opinions on
> which works better? Supposedly the 10 minutes of covering helps to
> cook the interior without overcooking the exterior.
>
> PLACE each dusted piece in the skillet, skin-side down. Adjust heat if
> necessary so that it bubbles up, then fries steadily but not too fast.
> Cook about 10 minutes.
>
> TURN pieces and cook 5 minutes longer. Cover skillet, reduce heat
> slightly, and continue to cook about 10 minutes.
>
> REMOVE lid, turn chicken pieces and cook until brown. Remove from fat
> and drain on paper towels or a clean paper bag.

I've done both from time to time and don't notice an appreciable
difference, other than controlling spatter.

--
Wayne Boatwright

All of this generosity has made me tired! * Cat