Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What goes with crabs

I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next week.
(I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked) I'm
going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine to go
with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's it.

Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
with crabs? Maybe some kind of rice or couscous or something like that
and some veggies? I'm open to any ideas. I'm a bachelor, so the
easier the suggestions, the better.

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next week.
> (I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked) I'm
> going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine to go
> with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's it.

A good wine with crabs is beer.

> Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> with crabs? Maybe some kind of rice or couscous or something like that
> and some veggies? I'm open to any ideas. I'm a bachelor, so the
> easier the suggestions, the better.

Corn on the cob and more beer.

Go to a good Maryland crab house and you don't see any wine, just beer. Go
to any bar in Philly or Jersey that has crabs and they will be drinking
beer. Go to any backyard crab boil and there will be beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next week.
> > (I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked) I'm
> > going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine to go
> > with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's it.

> A good wine with crabs is beer.
>

> > Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> > with crabs? Maybe some kind of rice or couscous or something like that
> > and some veggies? I'm open to any ideas. I'm a bachelor, so the
> > easier the suggestions, the better.

> Corn on the cob and more beer.
>
> Go to a good Maryland crab house and you don't see any wine, just beer.

Go
> to any bar in Philly or Jersey that has crabs and they will be drinking
> beer. Go to any backyard crab boil and there will be beer.

Yepper. Steamed crabs are what change the equation. If they are done
right they will be caked with Old Bay and steamed in beer, and everyone
will be ripping into them with their bare hands. Beer.

If the OP was doing just crab cakes it migh be different, but steamed crabs
need beer. We never had any side dishes with them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Hal Hal is offline

Edwin wrote:

>Yepper. Steamed crabs are what
> change the equation. If they are done
> right they will be caked with Old Bay
> and steamed in beer, and everyone will
> be ripping into them with their bare
> hands. Beer.

>If the OP was doing just crab cakes it
> migh be different, but steamed crabs
> need beer. We never had any side
> dishes with them!

Yeppers is right. I have had this many times at my marina on the Eastern
Shore of Maryland.

Lotsa beer and corn on the cob too.
MANY paper towels...

DOGS RULE

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 21:51:50 -0700, msk_30339 wrote:

> I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next week.
> (I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked) I'm
> going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine to go
> with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's it.
>
> Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> with crabs? Maybe some kind of rice or couscous or something like that
> and some veggies? I'm open to any ideas. I'm a bachelor, so the
> easier the suggestions, the better.
>
> Thanks

I have seen the corn and beer posts and they are what you will see at
crab shacks and lobster pounds. When I enjoy fresh crab or crabcakes, I
like to enjoy crab and crabcakes NOT corn. If you need a filler a lot of
things work like slaw, potatoes, steamed rice, garden salad, bread..and
corn if you want corn.

Drink what you enjoy with any meal. There are many nice wines that work
with seafood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> Keep it easy and simple. Crab is rich and you don't need any fuss,
> especially with the steamed crabs. Sides are easy. Maybe a salad, corn on
> the cob or sliced tomatoes.

Good one, sliced tomatoes. Me, when I think of crab, I think of cole slaw.
Homemade is easy, and much better than most stuff you can buy. Best
made earlier in the day or the night before.

nancy (looking for her invitation in the mail later)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next week.
> (I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked) I'm
> going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine to go
> with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's it.
>
> Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> with crabs?

This may sound strange but I love field greens (salad) with crab cakes. I
love to mix a bite of the crab cake and a bite of the field greens and a bit
of the roasted-pepper-tartar sauce and eat it!

Actually, this is what I eat out all the time!

Elisa (I know, sounds strange)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> with crabs?

Lemon and butter...
If you need sides, you don't have enough crab...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Get a big pot of water boiling and add some Old Bay. Drop in some
tiny new potatoes and boil until they are nearly done. When the
potatoes are almost done, drop in some quartered corn on the cob.
Cook a few minutes more, then drain and dig in.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:14:38 +0000, ~-x-y-~ wrote:

>> Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
>> with crabs?

> If you need sides, you don't have enough crab...

More crab is absolutely the best sides!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jay > wrote:
>On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:14:38 +0000, ~-x-y-~ wrote:
>
>>> Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
>>> with crabs?

>> If you need sides, you don't have enough crab...

>More crab is absolutely the best sides!

As the OP implied, enough crab is all you need -- though damn
difficult to achieve IME if you're committed to freshly caught
muddies!

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frogmore Stew (WAS: What goes with crabs)

wrote:
> I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next
> week. (I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked)
> I'm going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine
> to go with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's
> it.

Before it gets too late

Frogmore Stew

This is not an exact science. This is approximately how they do it at a
restaurant called Steamer's on Lady's Island, SC, to serve 6 people:

1 lb. smoked pork sausage (the actual recipe for the original sausage is
unk.)
3 lbs. new potatoes, chopped
water and beer to cover
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
3 lbs. fresh shrimp, unpeeled
6 fresh blue crabs
6 ears sweet corn on the cob
Crab boil seasoning mix

Fill a large stew pot about 1/2 full of water. Squeeze lemon juice into
pot, including lemon rind. Add a large amount of shrimp and crab boil. Add
potatoes cut into chunks and corn on the cob cut into 2 inch slices. Cook
about 5 minutes then add cut up onions and cook until the corn and potatoes
are tender. Add the sausage and cook about 10 minutes longer. Add crab
and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes more, or until shrimp
are pink. Drain it all and serve it up in baskets. Have Tabasco, seafood
seasoning and tartar sauce on hand. And a bucket in the middle of the table
toss the seafood shells and the corncobs in. Serves 6-8. Happy Labor Day!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We like corn on the cob and cole slaw for a crab dinner with a cobbler
for dessert and I agree with the others....beer! Have a nice party....
Ellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> Get a big pot of water boiling and add some Old Bay. Drop in some
> tiny new potatoes and boil until they are nearly done. When the
> potatoes are almost done, drop in some quartered corn on the cob.
> Cook a few minutes more, then drain and dig in.

This is what's usually served with crawfish boils, too. Spread out lots of
newspaper, throw down big piles of seasoned crawfish and the potatoes and
corn (and sometimes sausage), and dig in. With LOTS of beer, of course.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> oups.com:
>
> > I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next week.
> > (I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked) I'm
> > going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine to go
> > with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's it.
> >
> > Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> > with crabs? Maybe some kind of rice or couscous or something like that
> > and some veggies? I'm open to any ideas. I'm a bachelor, so the
> > easier the suggestions, the better.
> >
> > Thanks

> Keep it easy and simple. Crab is rich and you don't need any fuss,
> especially with the steamed crabs. Sides are easy. Maybe a salad, corn on
> the cob or sliced tomatoes. Have big bibs on hand Eat the steamed with
> your hands and serve beer. If you really want to get fancy <G> with the
> sides try some creamed spinach.
>
> Michael

Michael has the right idea. As long as you're going to get messy with
the crab, you may as well go all the way with corn on the cob. Add some
juicy tree-ripe peaches for dessert and you're all set.

Have you got lots of brown or newspaper, hammers, and crab picking
apparatus for this feast?

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote

> Have you got lots of brown or newspaper, hammers, and crab picking
> apparatus for this feast?

Exactly! We usually had them outside on the picnic table, on newspapers,
lots of cold beer and a little bowl of water for people to rinse their
fingers
when they got too messy, lots of paper towels.

Deep red, ripe tomatoes and corn on the cob are excellant ideas. Maybe
a side table with mayo and butter. When you eat these things the shells pile
up, the juices get the paper wet, it's a mess. Many people who eat them
regularly can eat a dozen at a sitting. There is not much in them. But they
are wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next week.
> > (I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked) I'm
> > going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine to go
> > with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's it.

> A good wine with crabs is beer.
>

> > Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> > with crabs? Maybe some kind of rice or couscous or something like that
> > and some veggies? I'm open to any ideas. I'm a bachelor, so the
> > easier the suggestions, the better.

> Corn on the cob and more beer.
>
> Go to a good Maryland crab house and you don't see any wine, just beer. Go
> to any bar in Philly or Jersey that has crabs and they will be drinking
> beer. Go to any backyard crab boil and there will be beer.

Except that there are those of us, like me, that absolutely _hate_ the
taste of beer no matter how hard we've tried to acquire it!

White Zinfandel, (there are many good brands) work great with crab.
Sutter home is one that I'd personally recommend and it's not expensive.

Ballatoire spumante champagne would work too if you want to spend more.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > >I am serving Maryland steamed crabs and crabcakes for dinner next week.
> > > (I'm not cooking them; I'm having them delivered pre-cooked) I'm
> > > going to a local liquor store to have someone suggest a good wine to go
> > > with it. So now I have the crabs and wine covered. But that's it.

> > A good wine with crabs is beer.
> >

> > > Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> > > with crabs? Maybe some kind of rice or couscous or something like that
> > > and some veggies? I'm open to any ideas. I'm a bachelor, so the
> > > easier the suggestions, the better.

> > Corn on the cob and more beer.
> >
> > Go to a good Maryland crab house and you don't see any wine, just beer.

> Go
> > to any bar in Philly or Jersey that has crabs and they will be drinking
> > beer. Go to any backyard crab boil and there will be beer.
> >

> Yepper. Steamed crabs are what change the equation. If they are done
> right they will be caked with Old Bay and steamed in beer, and everyone
> will be ripping into them with their bare hands. Beer.
>
> If the OP was doing just crab cakes it migh be different, but steamed crabs
> need beer. We never had any side dishes with them!

Beer... <shudder>

Ew.

Champagne would be more classy.

IMHO ALL beer tastes like earwax!

Cheers!

Om -> Who has honestly tried very hard to like beer, but just can NOT
deal with it......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <ilgKg.494566$Mn5.106107@pd7tw3no>,
"~-x-y-~" > wrote:

> > Can someone suggest something (preferably simple) that would go well
> > with crabs?

> Lemon and butter...
> If you need sides, you don't have enough crab...

Lol! Too damned true...... ;-)

This thread was perfect timing.

For the first time in months, I invested $26.00 in 2 lbs. of monster
Kind Crab legs this morning when I went shopping. Keep in mind that that
was only _2_ legs!!!

I'll serve them with lemon butter, strip steak grilled then sliced thin
into a light salad and red rice pilaf with shrimp and the grilled pork I
thawed last night, _before_ finding the strip steak and crab on sale
for the weekend...

(When it comes to meat, I try to meal plan 24 hours ahead of time and
the meal plan may get seriously modified if I go shopping and find
something cool, but have stuff already thawed!).

I don't expect any of the sides to get eaten. <G>

But that's ok. I'm cool with leftovers as I don't have to cook as much
during the week when I have to work ;-).
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-02, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Except that there are those of us, like me, that absolutely _hate_ the
> taste of beer....

(cringe!)

> White Zinfandel....

(wince!)

> Ballatoire spumante champagne would work too if you want to spend more.

(DOH!)

nb ...speechless
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-02, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Sourdough. :-)
>
> With LOTS of butter.

You're redeemed. (whew!)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:29:48 -0400, "MareCat"
> wrote:

>"Tara" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Get a big pot of water boiling and add some Old Bay. Drop in some
>> tiny new potatoes and boil until they are nearly done. When the
>> potatoes are almost done, drop in some quartered corn on the cob.
>> Cook a few minutes more, then drain and dig in.

>This is what's usually served with crawfish boils, too. Spread out lots of
>newspaper, throw down big piles of seasoned crawfish and the potatoes and
>corn (and sometimes sausage), and dig in. With LOTS of beer, of course.

I love a big crawfish boil. I haven't been to one in ages. Yeah,
crab or crawfish or shrimp or whatever -- just peel and eat it with
your hands. Your hands get covered with the Old Bay and butter and
shellfish broth and that flavors the potatoes and corn as you pick
them up. You could maybe add some crusty bread. Maybe. Oh, it's
all soooooo good.

I just don't get the sausage. I know it is a traditional addition to
crawfish and crab boils, but I don't want it! If it's a choice
between crab and sausage, the crab will win out every time.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote:
> When you eat these things the shells pile
> up, the juices get the paper wet, it's a mess. Many people who eat them
> regularly can eat a dozen at a sitting. There is not much in them.

The people that don't eat them regularly will stop well before a dozen, not
because they are full, but because they will be exhausted from the effort.
Picking crabs is one of the most frustrating experiences if you don't know
what you are doing. On the other hand, if you do know what you are doing,
you can go so fast that you totally lose track of how many you have eaten!
;-)

I'm not sure I'd agree with "there is not much in them". It doesn't seem
like much when you are picking the meat out bit by bit. But if you pick all
these little pieces out and accumulate them, it's surprising how much meat
there is. I found this out the first time I picked crabs to make crab cakes
and saw how big the pile of crab meat was getting. It's very deceptive when
you eat as you go.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:29:48 -0400, "MareCat"
> > wrote:
>

>>This is what's usually served with crawfish boils, too. Spread out lots of
>>newspaper, throw down big piles of seasoned crawfish and the potatoes and
>>corn (and sometimes sausage), and dig in. With LOTS of beer, of course.

> I love a big crawfish boil. I haven't been to one in ages. Yeah,
> crab or crawfish or shrimp or whatever -- just peel and eat it with
> your hands. Your hands get covered with the Old Bay and butter and
> shellfish broth and that flavors the potatoes and corn as you pick
> them up.

And the shells cut your hands, and the Old Bay gets rubbed into the wounds.
All part of the experience.

>You could maybe add some crusty bread. Maybe. Oh, it's
> all soooooo good.
>
> I just don't get the sausage. I know it is a traditional addition to
> crawfish and crab boils, but I don't want it! If it's a choice
> between crab and sausage, the crab will win out every time.

Oh, I don't really care for the sausage, either. I'm there for the
crab/crawfish and don't really eat much of anything else.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote:
> > When you eat these things the shells pile
> > up, the juices get the paper wet, it's a mess. Many people who eat them
> > regularly can eat a dozen at a sitting. There is not much in them.

> The people that don't eat them regularly will stop well before a dozen,

not
> because they are full, but because they will be exhausted from the effort.
> Picking crabs is one of the most frustrating experiences if you don't know
> what you are doing. On the other hand, if you do know what you are doing,
> you can go so fast that you totally lose track of how many you have eaten!
> ;-)

There is nothing like getting to that single CRACK where you wind up
with the legs in your hand that have the big lumps of backfin at the end.
Mmmmm .... How much ARE steamed crabs going for now, by the
dozen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote:
> There is nothing like getting to that single CRACK where you wind up
> with the legs in your hand that have the big lumps of backfin at the end.

That's just too easy! ;-) I admit, that once in a while that happens, but
most of the time once has to break apart each individual compartment in the
body to extract the meat.

Sometimes the body shell (inside) is very easily broken, and sometimes it is
very hard. I've never been able to figure out why and if it has something to
do with my cooking method. I'm thinking that when I use more vinegar in the
steam liquid and cook longer, the shell gets softer, but maybe not.

> Mmmmm .... How much ARE steamed crabs going for now, by the
> dozen?

Around here (Washington, DC, Maine Avenue markets) the price for number two
crabs (male or female) was $10/dozen a week or two ago. Number one males are
more. The lowest I had seen in recent years was $8/dozen. This year crabs
were supposed to be very expensive, so I didn't even bother to look at the
prices earlier in the year. In a normal year, the prices vary between around
$10 and $16/dozen. The high prices are when the crabs are in short supply on
a holiday weekend (like Memorial Day or July 4th). I'm not sure how high
they got this year because I was too afraid to look.

Crabs cost considerably less by the half or full bushel, but I've only had
enough "friends" to get a big quantity a couple of times. I refuse to get
crabs for people who won't put a reasonable effort into picking the meat
out. I don't want a crab to do the "utimate sacrifice"... being steamed
alive... if people are going to waste them.

Here steamed or live crabs are the same price. I always buy them live so I
know what I am getting. It's not that much effort to steam crabs. Plus you
get the excitement of playing with them trying to get them into the pot! ;-)

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry Parrish wrote:
> ooooohhhh crabs! yeah crabs
>
> herpes simplex #5

Barry is very familiar with crabs. He got them from cybercnt.

mud crabs pete Sushi 1 18-10-2007 05:00 PM
BBQ and steamed crabs... 43fan Barbecue 1 11-06-2006 07:04 PM
Using Crabs (9) Collection lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 18-04-2005 05:21 AM
Stone Crabs ?!?! Max Caviar General Cooking 16 21-02-2005 01:33 PM