Old 31-08-2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Source for spice tins?

I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
spices." (duh!)

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Thanks.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Old 31-08-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Curt Nelson wrote:
Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Someone here at work got a bunch at Cost Plus Imports for
less than $1 each.

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)
Old 31-08-2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
spices." (duh!)

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Thanks.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

What about baby food jars?

Bob
Old 31-08-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 31-08-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Curt Nelson wrote:

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look
like they should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

You're my hero! This place is just down the street from me.

Thanx again,
Curt Nelson

Old 31-08-2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Curt Nelson wrote:
I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country
and recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really
good spices." (duh!)

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen
'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they
should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Thanks.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

What about baby food jars?

Unfortunately I'm allergic to babies...

;-)

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Old 31-08-2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

Thanx again,

You're welcome.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 31-08-2006, 03:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

Wow, good prices, no minimum, no handling charges.

Old 31-08-2006, 03:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Curt Nelson wrote:

I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country
and recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really
good spices." (duh!)

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen
'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they
should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Thanks.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

What about baby food jars?

Unfortunately I'm allergic to babies...

Various pureed baby foods, veggies and fruits can be turned into
acceptable sauces by the addition of wine, stock, garlic, herbs & spices.

If you purchase commercial mayonnaise, you might consider purchasing a
number of the small 1 cup or so sized jars, which is what i did, i have
about a dozen of them, they are clear glass and easily labelled, if
necessary, with screw top lids.

I don't like to keep herbs or spices in metal, gives them a metallic
taste to me.
---
JL

;-)

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Old 31-08-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Wow, good prices, no minimum, no handling charges.

They really are good folks to deal with. I order sauce bottles from them to
bottle our sauce in, usually in quantities of 200. Once I place an order,
they are usually on my doorstep within 2 days.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 31-08-2006, 02:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Curt Nelson wrote:
I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country
and recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really
good spices." (duh!)

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen
'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they
should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Thanks.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

What about baby food jars?

Unfortunately I'm allergic to babies...

;-)

You can get bf jars from *other people*. (no baby required) Just ask at
a church or community bulletin board or on Freecycle.

Bob
Old 31-08-2006, 02:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
Curt Nelson wrote:

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look
like they should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

A great site, but I looked to see if they have any metal bento boxes.
They don't seem to.

Ted

Old 31-08-2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:58:58 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

Curt Nelson wrote:

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look
like they should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

Thanks for the link. I see that tins are popular now and I have a few
but don't really like them. Am I missing something? I even got one for
a gift that has salt in it. It was in a plastic bag but obviously tin
is not a great container for salt.
Old 31-08-2006, 06:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Curt Nelson" wrote:

I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
spices." (duh!)

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Thanks.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Yeah.

Ball brand 1/4 pint canning jars.

Seriously.

Or these:

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=G230

These will work too if you prefer metal:

http://www.aluminumbottles.com/

Google is your friend. ;-)

There are a million ways to store spices...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 31-08-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

(Curt*Nelson)wants to know:

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack
and am thinking of copying Alton Brown's

spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea. Can
anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify
even that. They look like they should cost no more
than perhaps fifty cents or so.
Thanks.
Hasta,
Curt

Martha Stewart has nice looking tins but not cheap though.

If I didn't keep mine in the freezer would purchase hers as they are
very pretty.

New Spice Tins website dafroof Marketplace 0 25-09-2008 02:57 AM
Spice source for Indian cuisine Paul M. Cook©® General Cooking 19 07-04-2004 01:49 PM
Twinings Tins Henry Tea 8 19-02-2004 04:42 PM
rats in tins ? Shane D. Maudiss Preserving 7 02-12-2003 09:46 PM
Muffin tins Binky Baking 2 20-10-2003 01:03 AM