Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Source for spice tins?

I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
spices." (duh!)

Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Thanks.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Curt Nelson > wrote:
>Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
>copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
>Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
>two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
>cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

Someone here at work got a bunch at Cost Plus Imports for
less than $1 each.

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
> I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
> recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
> spices." (duh!)
>
> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
> Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
> two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
> cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

What about baby food jars?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Curt Nelson wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
>> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
>> idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
>> seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look
>> like they should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

> http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

You're my hero! This place is just down the street from me.

Thanx again,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Curt Nelson wrote:
>> I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country
>> and recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really
>> good spices." (duh!)
>>
>> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
>> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
>> idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen
>> 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they
>> should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Hasta,
>> Curt Nelson

> What about baby food jars?

Unfortunately I'm allergic to babies...

;-)

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

> Thanx again,

You're welcome.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

> http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

Wow, good prices, no minimum, no handling charges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>Curt Nelson wrote:
>>
>>>I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country
>>>and recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really
>>>good spices." (duh!)
>>>
>>>Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
>>>copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
>>>idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen
>>>'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they
>>>should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Hasta,
>>>Curt Nelson

>>What about baby food jars?

> Unfortunately I'm allergic to babies...

Various pureed baby foods, veggies and fruits can be turned into
acceptable sauces by the addition of wine, stock, garlic, herbs & spices.

If you purchase commercial mayonnaise, you might consider purchasing a
number of the small 1 cup or so sized jars, which is what i did, i have
about a dozen of them, they are clear glass and easily labelled, if
necessary, with screw top lids.

I don't like to keep herbs or spices in metal, gives them a metallic
taste to me.
---
JL

> ;-)
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Wow, good prices, no minimum, no handling charges.

They really are good folks to deal with. I order sauce bottles from them to
bottle our sauce in, usually in quantities of 200. Once I place an order,
they are usually on my doorstep within 2 days.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> Curt Nelson wrote:
>>> I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country
>>> and recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really
>>> good spices." (duh!)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
>>> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
>>> idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen
>>> 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they
>>> should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Hasta,
>>> Curt Nelson

>> What about baby food jars?

> Unfortunately I'm allergic to babies...
>
> ;-)

You can get bf jars from *other people*. (no baby required) Just ask at
a church or community bulletin board or on Freecycle.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Curt Nelson wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
> > copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
> > idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
> > seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look
> > like they should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

A great site, but I looked to see if they have any metal bento boxes.
They don't seem to.

Ted

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:58:58 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Curt Nelson wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
>> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
>> idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
>> seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look
>> like they should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

> http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA

Thanks for the link. I see that tins are popular now and I have a few
but don't really like them. Am I missing something? I even got one for
a gift that has salt in it. It was in a plastic bag but obviously tin
is not a great container for salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" > wrote:

> I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
> recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
> spices." (duh!)
>
> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
> Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
> two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
> cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Yeah.

Ball brand 1/4 pint canning jars.

Seriously.

Or these:

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=G230

These will work too if you prefer metal:

http://www.aluminumbottles.com/

Google is your friend. ;-)

There are a million ways to store spices...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>(Curt*Nelson)wants to know:
>
>Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack
>and am thinking of copying Alton Brown's

spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea. Can
>anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
>seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify
>even that. They look like they should cost no more
>than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>Thanks.
>Hasta,
>Curt

Nelson---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martha Stewart has nice looking tins but not cheap though.

If I didn't keep mine in the freezer would purchase hers as they are
very pretty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
> I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
> recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
> spices." (duh!)
>
> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
> Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
> two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
> cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

I have some vinyl-coated wire racks mounted on the inside of my pantry
door - no direct light gets to them, so I just store them in their
original containers. There's no reason for metal unless (1) you're
showing them off as a display in your kitchen, or (2) they're going to
be stored in direct light. That's my opinion, anyway.

For some regularly-used spices, I got some pretty little plain clear
glass spice jars with shaker lids (two sizes of holes available) at
spicebarn.com, and they have other kinds of spice containers, too. I
didn't put labels on them because they're on display on an interior
wall - but it's fun to ask guests to smell the spices and name the
spice. ;-)

What's wrong with the containers your spices come in, since you're
putting them inside a cupboard?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" > wrote:

> I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
> recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
> spices." (duh!)
>
> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
> Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
> two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
> cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Try FreundContainer.com
800-363-9822
Various sizes available.
Sound like a serious customer and I bet you'll be offered some free
samples. Don't say I told you to call. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Curt Nelson" > wrote:
>
> > I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country and
> > recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really good
> > spices." (duh!)
> >
> > Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
> > copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet idea.
> > Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em for
> > two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
> > cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Hasta,
> > Curt Nelson

> Yeah.
>
> Ball brand 1/4 pint canning jars.

Dollarama has lots of different sized jars, the kind with the rubber
ring and wire closing. Some are two for a buck, some a dollar each. If
you like them to be on display, you can buy printed labels. I keep mine
in a cupboard, so I just use a piece of masking tape. It peels off
really easy when it's time to wash the jar. I also use empty jam jars
for some. I use E.D. Smith sugar free jam and I wash out the little
jars it comes in and use them too, since they hold quite a lot.
.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Curt Nelson wrote:
>> I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country
>> and
>> recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really
>> good
>> spices." (duh!)
>>
>> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
>> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
>> idea.
>> Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen 'em
>> for
>> two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they should
>> cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

> What's wrong with the containers your spices come in, since you're
> putting them inside a cupboard?

Thanks for the good advice. The spice store that is next to my house doesn't
sell spices in containers, only in plastic bags. They actually grind
whatever spice you need on the spot, hence my need for containers and a
place to put them...

It's a good problem to have. :-)

The chili I made last week with their chili powder blend was unbelievably
flavorful... and powerful! I need to learn more about cooking with
super-fresh spices while I'm figuring out how to store what's left over.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> If you purchase commercial mayonnaise, you might consider purchasing a
> number of the small 1 cup or so sized jars, which is what i did, i have
> about a dozen of them, they are clear glass and easily labelled, if
> necessary, with screw top lids.

I buy half pint (1 cup) canning jars for about $6/dozen. Kmart,
Walmart, Fleet Farm.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:02:52 -0700, Curt Nelson >
wrote in t>:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> Curt Nelson wrote:
>>> I live about 500 feet from one of the great spice stores in the country
>>> and recently decided, "Wow, perhaps I should try cooking with some really
>>> good spices." (duh!)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
>>> copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
>>> idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've seen
>>> 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look like they
>>> should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Hasta,
>>> Curt Nelson

>> What about baby food jars?

> Unfortunately I'm allergic to babies...

The feeling is very likely mutual.

--
Talpus Grumpus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> >
> > http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA
> >

> Wow, good prices, no minimum, no handling charges.

Thought for certain you would've said leevalley.com

http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=&action=n

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Thought for certain you would've said leevalley.com
>
> http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=&action=n

Those are good folks, and they do have quality products.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Curt Nelson wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I'm not paying fifty bucks for a spice rack and am thinking of
> > copying Alton Brown's spice-tins-stuck-to-the-inside-of-your-cabinet
> > idea. Can anyone recommend a good source for cheap spice tins? I've
> > seen 'em for two bucks or so, but can't justify even that. They look
> > like they should cost no more than perhaps fifty cents or so.

> http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...FTxzDgodrFPIaA
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

The hexagonal jars look perfect for the fifty plus kinds of spices I
keep in my spice cabinet. Been looking for a better way to store them
for a while. Gonna inventory how many I need of each this weekend and
buy a bunch of them. Thanks for the reccommendation!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

> The hexagonal jars look perfect for the fifty plus kinds of spices I
> keep in my spice cabinet. Been looking for a better way to store them
> for a while. Gonna inventory how many I need of each this weekend and
> buy a bunch of them. Thanks for the reccommendation!

You're welcome.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>

>>If you purchase commercial mayonnaise, you might consider purchasing a
>>number of the small 1 cup or so sized jars, which is what i did, i have
>>about a dozen of them, they are clear glass and easily labelled, if
>>necessary, with screw top lids.

> I buy half pint (1 cup) canning jars for about $6/dozen. Kmart,
> Walmart, Fleet Farm.

Even better, i never thought of that. And about 1/2 as expensive as my
suggestion.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
> >

> >>If you purchase commercial mayonnaise, you might consider purchasing a
> >>number of the small 1 cup or so sized jars, which is what i did, i have
> >>about a dozen of them, they are clear glass and easily labelled, if
> >>necessary, with screw top lids.

> > I buy half pint (1 cup) canning jars for about $6/dozen. Kmart,
> > Walmart, Fleet Farm.

> Even better, i never thought of that. And about 1/2 as expensive as my
> suggestion.
> ---
> JL

Kerr/Ball also make a 4-oz canning jar -- cute gift size -- that is more
expensive than the 8-oz jars. <scratches head>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

New Spice Tins website dafroof Marketplace 0 25-09-2008 02:57 AM
Spice source for Indian cuisine Paul M. Cook©® General Cooking 19 07-04-2004 01:49 PM
Twinings Tins Henry Tea 8 19-02-2004 04:42 PM
rats in tins ? Shane D. Maudiss Preserving 7 02-12-2003 09:46 PM
Muffin tins Binky Baking 2 20-10-2003 01:03 AM