Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mango Mousse

I picked up this idea on our India trip.
I've tried this "lightened" version and it was pretty good also.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Mango Mousse

A light, tropical flavored, diabetic-friendly dessert.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine: Indian
Main Ingredient: Mango
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Desserts, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
1 env unflavored gelatin;
2 cups mango puree ; (2-3 mangos)
1/3 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Plain yogurt
1 cup heavy cream ; - Well-chilled

-= Instructions =-
In a small saucepan sprinkle the gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water, let it
soften for 1 minute, and heat the mixture over low heat, stirring, until
the gelatin is dissolved.

In a blender blend together the mango puree, the sugar, and the vanilla,
add the gelatin mixture, and blend the mixture well. Transfer the mixture
to a bowl and stir in the yogurt.

In a chilled bowl beat the cream until it holds stiff peaks, fold it into
the mango mixture gently but thoroughly, and divide the mousse among 4
dessert glasses or molds. Chill the mousse for at least 4 hours or
overnight.

Garnish the mousse with mango slices, mint leaves, or a small chocolate
wafer.

Makes 6 (1/2 cup) servings, each containing an estimated:
Cals: 168, FatCals: 74, TotFat: 8g
SatFat: 5g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 2g
Chol: 30mg, Na: 40mg, K: 197mg
TotCarb: 21g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 11g
NetCarbs:20g, Protein: 4g

** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160683 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 22:56:27 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>I picked up this idea on our India trip.
>I've tried this "lightened" version and it was pretty good also.
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Mango Mousse
>
>A light, tropical flavored, diabetic-friendly dessert.
>
>Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>Serving Size: 6
>Cuisine: Indian
>Main Ingredient: Mango
>Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Desserts, Brunch
>
>-= Ingredients =-
>1 env unflavored gelatin;
>2 cups mango puree ; (2-3 mangos)
>1/3 cup Splenda
>1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
>1 cup Plain yogurt
>1 cup heavy cream ; - Well-chilled
>
>-= Instructions =-
>In a small saucepan sprinkle the gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water, let it
>soften for 1 minute, and heat the mixture over low heat, stirring, until
>the gelatin is dissolved.
>
>In a blender blend together the mango puree, the sugar, and the vanilla,
>add the gelatin mixture, and blend the mixture well. Transfer the mixture
>to a bowl and stir in the yogurt.
>
>In a chilled bowl beat the cream until it holds stiff peaks, fold it into
>the mango mixture gently but thoroughly, and divide the mousse among 4
>dessert glasses or molds. Chill the mousse for at least 4 hours or
>overnight.
>
>Garnish the mousse with mango slices, mint leaves, or a small chocolate
>wafer.
>
>Makes 6 (1/2 cup) servings, each containing an estimated:
>Cals: 168, FatCals: 74, TotFat: 8g
>SatFat: 5g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 2g
>Chol: 30mg, Na: 40mg, K: 197mg
>TotCarb: 21g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 11g
>NetCarbs:20g, Protein: 4g
>

>** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160683 **
>** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

Hi Pete

Just a side-note to your recipe. I buy fresh mangoes in
season here, when they are cheap and superb in flavour.
Those I can't eat I peel, seed and slice roughly into rough
1cm cubes. Then I freeze them packed into ice-cube trays and
decant them into storage containers in the freezer.

When thawed they have lost their firmness - but the
consistency is perfect for adding to a yoghurt or a sorbet
or a mousse. It will dissolve into the other medium but
small delicious chunks will still be randomly scattered
through the mix. For example, I add four mango ice-cubes to
a small cup of plain greek yoghurt, a little Splenda to
taste - and I have very tasty ice-cold fruit yoghurt dessert
after they thaw.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:

> Hi Pete
>
> Just a side-note to your recipe. I buy fresh mangoes in
> season here, when they are cheap and superb in flavour.
> Those I can't eat I peel, seed and slice roughly into
> rough 1cm cubes. Then I freeze them packed into ice-cube
> trays and decant them into storage containers in the
> freezer.
>
> When thawed they have lost their firmness - but the
> consistency is perfect for adding to a yoghurt or a sorbet
> or a mousse. It will dissolve into the other medium but
> small delicious chunks will still be randomly scattered
> through the mix. For example, I add four mango ice-cubes
> to a small cup of plain greek yoghurt, a little Splenda to
> taste - and I have very tasty ice-cold fruit yoghurt
> dessert after they thaw.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 2x500mg

That's a great idea. During the season fresh mangos drop to four per $1
(US).
We've been putting the excess in the dehydrator as mango chips but freezing
as chunks would work well.
We also get large cans of mango pulp at the Indian market which we freeze in
ice cube trays similar to your method.
The frozen mango cubes make delicious mango lassi or margaritas among other
treats.