Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh[_1_] Pete Romfh[_1_] is offline

Default Mango Mousse

Alan S wrote:

> Hi Pete
>
> Just a side-note to your recipe. I buy fresh mangoes in
> season here, when they are cheap and superb in flavour.
> Those I can't eat I peel, seed and slice roughly into
> rough 1cm cubes. Then I freeze them packed into ice-cube
> trays and decant them into storage containers in the
> freezer.
>
> When thawed they have lost their firmness - but the
> consistency is perfect for adding to a yoghurt or a sorbet
> or a mousse. It will dissolve into the other medium but
> small delicious chunks will still be randomly scattered
> through the mix. For example, I add four mango ice-cubes
> to a small cup of plain greek yoghurt, a little Splenda to
> taste - and I have very tasty ice-cold fruit yoghurt
> dessert after they thaw.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 2x500mg

That's a great idea. During the season fresh mangos drop to four per $1
(US).
We've been putting the excess in the dehydrator as mango chips but freezing
as chunks would work well.
We also get large cans of mango pulp at the Indian market which we freeze in
ice cube trays similar to your method.
The frozen mango cubes make delicious mango lassi or margaritas among other
treats.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh