Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S[_1_] Alan S[_1_] is offline

Default Mango Mousse

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 22:56:27 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>I picked up this idea on our India trip.
>I've tried this "lightened" version and it was pretty good also.
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Mango Mousse
>
>A light, tropical flavored, diabetic-friendly dessert.
>
>Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>Serving Size: 6
>Cuisine: Indian
>Main Ingredient: Mango
>Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Desserts, Brunch
>
>-= Ingredients =-
>1 env unflavored gelatin;
>2 cups mango puree ; (2-3 mangos)
>1/3 cup Splenda
>1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
>1 cup Plain yogurt
>1 cup heavy cream ; - Well-chilled
>
>-= Instructions =-
>In a small saucepan sprinkle the gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water, let it
>soften for 1 minute, and heat the mixture over low heat, stirring, until
>the gelatin is dissolved.
>
>In a blender blend together the mango puree, the sugar, and the vanilla,
>add the gelatin mixture, and blend the mixture well. Transfer the mixture
>to a bowl and stir in the yogurt.
>
>In a chilled bowl beat the cream until it holds stiff peaks, fold it into
>the mango mixture gently but thoroughly, and divide the mousse among 4
>dessert glasses or molds. Chill the mousse for at least 4 hours or
>overnight.
>
>Garnish the mousse with mango slices, mint leaves, or a small chocolate
>wafer.
>
>Makes 6 (1/2 cup) servings, each containing an estimated:
>Cals: 168, FatCals: 74, TotFat: 8g
>SatFat: 5g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 2g
>Chol: 30mg, Na: 40mg, K: 197mg
>TotCarb: 21g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 11g
>NetCarbs:20g, Protein: 4g
>

>** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160683 **
>** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

Hi Pete

Just a side-note to your recipe. I buy fresh mangoes in
season here, when they are cheap and superb in flavour.
Those I can't eat I peel, seed and slice roughly into rough
1cm cubes. Then I freeze them packed into ice-cube trays and
decant them into storage containers in the freezer.

When thawed they have lost their firmness - but the
consistency is perfect for adding to a yoghurt or a sorbet
or a mousse. It will dissolve into the other medium but
small delicious chunks will still be randomly scattered
through the mix. For example, I add four mango ice-cubes to
a small cup of plain greek yoghurt, a little Splenda to
taste - and I have very tasty ice-cold fruit yoghurt dessert
after they thaw.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg