Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

Default Weird but good Christmas pud

I've just made this, to see if I would be prepared to serve it instead of a
traditional Christmas pud. The family's consensus was that the taste is
good, but the texture was a bit wet and the colour should be darker. Next
time - and there will be a next time, it's very tasty - I'll drain the
rhubarb a bit and add a tablespoon of cocoa powder. I used lemon juice
instead of rind, that would make it a bit wet too. Source is
www.lowcarbiseasy.com.

Nicky.
Ingredients
Metric Imperial Volume Carb (g)
Rhubarb 200 g 7 oz 200 g 1.60
Butter 50 g / 60 ml 1¾ oz ¼ cup 0.00
Sweetener (granular) 75 ml 2½ fl oz 5 T 7.50
Lemon juice or lemon rind 1 T 1 T 1 T 0.30
Egg, beaten 1 medium 1 medium 1 medium 0.60
Ground almonds 50 g / 125 ml 1¾ oz ½ cup 2.15
Chopped walnuts 30 g / 60 ml 1 oz ¼ cup 1.00
Full fat soya flour 20 g / 60 ml ¾ oz ¼ cup 3.00
Salt Pinch Pinch Pinch 0.00
Nutmeg ¼ t ¼ t ¼ t 0.12
Mixed spice 1 t 1 t 1 t 0.60
Brandy flavouring 1 t 1 t 1 t 0.20
Bicarbonate of soda 1/8 t 1/8 t 1/8 t 0.00
Total carbs 17.07
Number of servings 4
Carbs per serving 4.27

To prepare
Chop the rhubarb and microwave (no water required) until more or less soft.
Cream the butter and sweetener, add the lemon rind if using, then the egg a
little at a time. Fold in the nuts and other dry ingredients plus the
rhubarb, lemon juice if using and brandy flavouring. Spoon into a
well-greased pudding basin or plastic bowl, cover and steam over a saucepan
of boiling water.
To cook
Cooking method Steam
Pan Plastic bowl or other heatproof basin
Temperature Simmer
Cooking time 4 hours

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004