Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okay, weird, weird topic - not for the faint of heart

Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the tomato
thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from possibility of
contamination.

We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how that came
about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from the nether regions.
Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering. Kind of makes sense....

Flame retardant suit on.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 12 Jun 2008 08:16:10p, kilikini told us...

> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the
> tomato thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from
> possibility of contamination.
>
> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how that
> came about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from the nether
> regions. Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering. Kind of makes
> sense....
>
> Flame retardant suit on.
>
> kili

Tainted can mean several things:

v.tr.
1. To affect with or as if with a disease.
2. To affect with decay or putrefaction; spoil. See Synonyms at
contaminate.
3. To corrupt morally.
4. To affect with a tinge of something reprehensible.
v.intr.
To become affected with decay or putrefaction; spoil.
n.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think she's referring to the noun, not the verb...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 12 Jun 2008 08:16:10p, kilikini told us...
>
>> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the
>> tomato thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from
>> possibility of contamination.
>>
>> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how that
>> came about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from the nether
>> regions. Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering. Kind of makes
>> sense....
>>
>> Flame retardant suit on.
>>
>> kili

> Tainted can mean several things:
>
> v.tr.
> 1. To affect with or as if with a disease.
> 2. To affect with decay or putrefaction; spoil. See Synonyms at
> contaminate.
> 3. To corrupt morally.
> 4. To affect with a tinge of something reprehensible.
> v.intr.
> To become affected with decay or putrefaction; spoil.
> n.
> 1. A moral defect considered as a stain or spot. See Synonyms at stain.
> 2. An infecting touch, influence, or tinge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 12 Jun 2008 08:16:10p, kilikini told us...
>
>> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the
>> tomato thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from
>> possibility of contamination.
>>
>> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how
>> that came about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from
>> the nether regions. Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering.
>> Kind of makes sense....
>>
>> Flame retardant suit on.
>>
>> kili

> Tainted can mean several things:
>
> v.tr.
> 1. To affect with or as if with a disease.
> 2. To affect with decay or putrefaction; spoil. See Synonyms at
> contaminate.
> 3. To corrupt morally.
> 4. To affect with a tinge of something reprehensible.
> v.intr.
> To become affected with decay or putrefaction; spoil.
> n.
> 1. A moral defect considered as a stain or spot. See Synonyms at
> stain.
> 2. An infecting touch, influence, or tinge.

Well, it seems we were about "spot" on then. Thanks, Wayne.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 12 Jun 2008 08:42:09p, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 12 Jun 2008 08:16:10p, kilikini told us...
>>
>>> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the
>>> tomato thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from
>>> possibility of contamination.
>>>
>>> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how
>>> that came about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from
>>> the nether regions. Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering.
>>> Kind of makes sense....
>>>
>>> Flame retardant suit on.
>>>
>>> kili

>> Tainted can mean several things:
>>
>> v.tr.
>> 1. To affect with or as if with a disease.
>> 2. To affect with decay or putrefaction; spoil. See Synonyms at
>> contaminate. 3. To corrupt morally.
>> 4. To affect with a tinge of something reprehensible.
>> v.intr.
>> To become affected with decay or putrefaction; spoil.
>> n.
>> 1. A moral defect considered as a stain or spot. See Synonyms at
>> stain. 2. An infecting touch, influence, or tinge.

> Well, it seems we were about "spot" on then. Thanks, Wayne.
>
> kili

Nobody can say 'tain't so! :-)

<ducking>

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the tomato
> thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from possibility of
> contamination.
>
> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how that came
> about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from the nether regions.
> Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering. Kind of makes sense....
>
> Flame retardant suit on.
>
> kili

I'm curious as to when that particular term slipped into the mainstream
vernacular. It was always a bit "outside", when I'd heard it in the
past. Then a couple weeks ago, I ran into it dropped into "Baby Mama"...

But the meaning as "contaminated" goes back *much* farther.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 12 Jun 2008 10:01:22p, Dave Bell told us...

> kilikini wrote:
>> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the
>> tomato thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from
>> possibility of contamination.
>>
>> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how that
>> came about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from the
>> nether regions. Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering. Kind
>> of makes sense....
>>
>> Flame retardant suit on.
>>
>> kili

> I'm curious as to when that particular term slipped into the mainstream
> vernacular. It was always a bit "outside", when I'd heard it in the
> past. Then a couple weeks ago, I ran into it dropped into "Baby Mama"...
>
> But the meaning as "contaminated" goes back *much* farther.
>
> Dave

I remember my great grandmother using the term as appliled to spoiled home-
canned foods.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
It doesn't *take* all kinds, we just
*have* all kinds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Shanghai McCoy" > wrote in message
>I think she's referring to the noun, not the verb...

err...I don't think so...since tainted is never a noun. You'd never say hey, hand me
a tainted. It's an adjective at times and a verb at times, but never a noun.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Shanghai McCoy" > wrote in message
>>I think she's referring to the noun, not the verb...
>>

> Disregard my last post, because I just thought of a way to use it as a
> noun.

Wouldn't "a tainted burger" be using "tainted" as an adverb?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Shanghai McCoy" > wrote in message
>I think she's referring to the noun, not the verb...

Disregard my last post, because I just thought of a way to use it as a noun.

Geesh. I need some sleep.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the tomato
> thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from possibility of
> contamination.
>
> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how that came
> about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from the nether regions.
> Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering. Kind of makes sense....

Are you asking about the slang term "taint" as applied to a
particular human body area? I'm not sure just what you're asking, since
in with the spoiled-food sense, you mention "nether regions".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "kilikini" > wrote in
> om:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Are you asking about the slang term "taint" as applied to a
>>> particular human body area? I'm not sure just what you're asking,
>>> since in with the spoiled-food sense, you mention "nether regions".

>> I actually was. LOL. We were tired, we got to laughing about the
>> word and wondering. Who knows??
>>
>> kili
>>

> E-Coli doesn't come from MY nether regions at least not on any hamburger.
> It usually comes from a cows nether regions...from cow shit to be crude.
> Veggies get e-coli from improperly used animal waste used as fertillizer
> also not from MY nether regions.
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan

Maybe not your nether regions, but when the E-coli outbreak came with the
spinach, it was from migrant workers (both in Mexico and in Cali) using
human waste as fertilizer, so it did come from 'someone's' nether regions.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> "kilikini" wrote:

>> I actually was. �LOL. �We were tired, we got to laughing
>> about the word and wondering. �
>>
>> Who knows??

> You rang?
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint

I've heard of that by other names, not taint.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 8:31Â*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > "kilikini" wrote:
> >> I actually was. �LOL. �We were tired, we got to laughing
> >> about the word and wondering. �

> >> Who knows??

> > You rang?

> >http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint

> I've heard of that by other names, not taint.

Unless you mean the anatomical "perineum", show me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jun 13, 8:31 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> You rang?

>>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint

>> I've heard of that by other names, not taint.

> Unless you mean the anatomical "perineum", show me.

Also, bridge of sighs.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> "kilikini" wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Are you asking about the slang term "taint" as applied to a
>>> particular human body area? ?I'm not sure just what you're asking,
>>> since in with the spoiled-food sense, you mention "nether regions".

>> I actually was. ?LOL. ?We were tired, we got to laughing
>> about the word and wondering. ?
>>
>> Who knows??

> You rang?
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint
>

> ---

Well, that's kind of the whole reason we were wondering. LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 9:29Â*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:

> >> I've heard of that by other names, not taint.

> > Unless you mean the anatomical "perineum", show me.

> Also, bridge of sighs.

Okay, I hear ya!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:16:10 -0400, kilikini wrote:

> Flame retardant suit on.

No need. I was wondering myself how the heck you got 'tainted' tomatoes.
Watering them with untreated sewage water, maybe? Or the produce is being
handled by 'unwashed hands'? Scary stuff.

Yet another reason to grow your own <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:16:10 -0400, kilikini wrote:
> > Flame retardant suit on.

> No need. I was wondering myself how the heck you got 'tainted' tomatoes.
> Watering them with untreated sewage water, maybe? Or the produce is being
> handled by 'unwashed hands'? Scary stuff.
>
> Yet another reason to grow your own <g>

And tomatoes aren't near as dangerous as preground mystery meat.

Many countries use human waste as fertilizer, Mexico and Italy
encourage farm workers to fertilize their crops.

The US military buys produce wherever they happen to be, but they use
disinfecting baths for treating all produce purchased in foreign
lands. Since so much produce in the US is imported it seems folks
should begin disinfecting all produce at home, and probably best to
refrain from consuming fresh produce at all restaurants.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> "Shanghai McCoy" > wrote in message
>>> I think she's referring to the noun, not the verb...
>>>

>> Disregard my last post, because I just thought of a way to use it as a
>> noun.
>>

> Wouldn't "a tainted burger" be using "tainted" as an adverb?

Adjective.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:39:59 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>"kilikini" > wrote in
. com:

>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Are you asking about the slang term "taint" as applied to a
>>> particular human body area? I'm not sure just what you're asking,
>>> since in with the spoiled-food sense, you mention "nether regions".

>> I actually was. LOL. We were tired, we got to laughing about the
>> word and wondering. Who knows??
>>
>> kili
>>

>E-Coli doesn't come from MY nether regions at least not on any hamburger.
>It usually comes from a cows nether regions...from cow shit to be crude.
>Veggies get e-coli from improperly used animal waste used as fertillizer
>also not from MY nether regions.

but hamburger is forever associated with buns.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:31:47 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>> "kilikini" wrote:

>>> I actually was. ?LOL. ?We were tired, we got to laughing
>>> about the word and wondering. ?
>>>
>>> Who knows??

>> You rang?
>>
>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint

>I've heard of that by other names, not taint.
>
>nancy

no wonder that sheldon is intimately familiar with the region between
nutsack and asshole. for once i'll credit him with some expertise.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> "hahabogus" > wrote in message

> > E-Coli doesn't come from MY nether regions at least not on any hamburger.
> > It usually comes from a cows nether regions...from cow shit to be crude.
> > Veggies get e-coli from improperly used animal waste used as fertillizer
> > also not from MY nether regions.

> Maybe not your nether regions, but when the E-coli outbreak came with the
> spinach, it was from migrant workers (both in Mexico and in Cali) using
> human waste as fertilizer, so it did come from 'someone's' nether regions.

I thought that was a made-up story to make people mad. The actual
source of contamination was traced to a pond that received run off from
cows. The type of E. coli that makes people sick doesn't make cows sick.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote

> no wonder that sheldon is intimately familiar with the region between
> nutsack and asshole. for once i'll credit him with some expertise.

It's the first thing he sees on those rare occasions when he manages
to get his head out of his ASS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:16:10 -0400, kilikini wrote:

> > Flame retardant suit on.

> No need. I was wondering myself how the heck you got 'tainted' tomatoes.
> Watering them with untreated sewage water, maybe? Or the produce is being
> handled by 'unwashed hands'? Scary stuff.

I'm guessing that some rinsing/cleaning process somewhere is
contaminated. It seems to be taking a long time for them to
pinpoint a source, but I'll bet a tank of supposed sanitizer
is to blame.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the
>>> tomato thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from
>>> possibility of contamination.
>>>
>>> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how
>>> that came about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from
>>> the nether regions. Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering.
>>> Kind of makes sense....

>> Are you asking about the slang term "taint" as applied to a
>> particular human body area? I'm not sure just what you're asking,
>> since in with the spoiled-food sense, you mention "nether regions".

> I actually was. LOL. We were tired, we got to laughing about the word and
> wondering. Who knows??

You were wondering where *that* taint got its name, you mean?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:

>>> I actually was. ?LOL. ?We were tired, we got to laughing about the
>>> word and wondering. ?
>>>
>>> Who knows??

>> You rang?
>>
>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint
>>

>> ---

> Well, that's kind of the whole reason we were wondering. LOL.

It's just word play -- not a reference to "tainted" anything. Taint (it
ain't) ass; taint (it ain't) pussy/balls. It's in between; taint neither.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the
>>> tomato thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from
>>> possibility of contamination.
>>>
>>> We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how
>>> that came about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla. Hmmm. Comes from the
>>> nether regions. Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering. Kind
>>> of makes sense....

>> Are you asking about the slang term "taint" as applied to a particular
>> human body area? I'm not sure just what you're asking, since in with
>> the spoiled-food sense, you mention "nether regions".

> I actually was. LOL. We were tired, we got to laughing about the word
> and wondering. Who knows??

It's just word play -- not a reference to "tainted" anything. Taint (it
ain't) ass; taint (it ain't) pussy/balls. It's in between; taint neither.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
>
>> "hahabogus" > wrote in message

>> > E-Coli doesn't come from MY nether regions at least not on any
>> > hamburger.
>> > It usually comes from a cows nether regions...from cow shit to be
>> > crude.
>> > Veggies get e-coli from improperly used animal waste used as
>> > fertillizer
>> > also not from MY nether regions.

>> Maybe not your nether regions, but when the E-coli outbreak came with the
>> spinach, it was from migrant workers (both in Mexico and in Cali) using
>> human waste as fertilizer, so it did come from 'someone's' nether
>> regions.

> I thought that was a made-up story to make people mad. The actual
> source of contamination was traced to a pond that received run off from
> cows. The type of E. coli that makes people sick doesn't make cows sick.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

I was working at the grocers when this happened and that was the report we
got from corporate, that the e. coli came from human waste used as
fertilizer. I was in seafood, but we often scrounged from the veg
department to 'decorate' our display cases.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message .net>
> from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
>
>> kilikini wrote:

>> > Okay, my husband and I were sitting in our kitchen talking about the
>> > tomato
>> > thingy. Florida is now not a state that is exempt from possibility of
>> > contamination.
>> >
>> > We started talking about the word "tainted" and were wondering how
>> > that came
>> > about. Tainted = E-Coli, Salmonilla.

> Not necessarily. Tainted food could refer to smell or taste, such as
> when you've got cheesecake garlic and raw fish in the fridge and if
> they're not properly covered the cheesecake will be tainted by the
> smell of fish or the taste of garlic.
>

> Hmmm. Comes from the nether regions.
>> > Coincidence? Seriously, we were just wondering. Kind of makes sense....

>> Are you asking about the slang term "taint" as applied to a
>> particular human body area?

> That's fairly recent US slang; nothing to do with the origin of the word.

I think that's common knowledge.

> I'm not sure just what you're asking, since
>> in with the spoiled-food sense, you mention "nether regions".

> Taint doesn't mean perineum or have any connotation of nether regions
> in English English. It's been in non-slang use for many hundreds of

It certainly does in slang. Which is part of our language, like it or not.

> years and still is; it just means a blemish or imperfection.

Except when it means the other thing.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message et>
> from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
>
>> Janet Baraclough wrote:

>> > The message .net>
>> > from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:

>> > Not necessarily. Tainted food could refer to smell or taste, such as
>> > when you've got cheesecake garlic and raw fish in the fridge and if
>> > they're not properly covered the cheesecake will be tainted by the
>> > smell of fish or the taste of garlic.
>> >

>> > Hmmm. Comes from the nether regions.

>> > That's fairly recent US slang; nothing to do with the origin of
>> > the word.

>> I think that's common knowledge.

>> > I'm not sure just what you're asking, since
>> >
>> > Taint doesn't mean perineum or have any connotation of nether regions
>> > in English English. It's been in non-slang use for many hundreds of

>> It certainly does in slang. Which is part of our language, like it or not.

> Duh. See above, "English English.= the language as spoken in England.
> The slang meaning is (exclusively ) American .

I did not catch the "English English" reference; I only read "English".
Certainly you (I infer that you are English) have some slang word that we
(I am USan) don't and we have some that you don't.

>> > years and still is; it just means a blemish or imperfection.

>> Except when it means the other thing.

> AIUI, kili was wondering about the origin of the word tainted used
> in relation to food contaminated with ecoli and salmonella. Tainted in
> relation to faecally-contaminated food, has nothing to do with the US
> slang meaning.

Duh. I know it does not. I was one of the people who explained where the
slang sense of "taint" comes from.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:00:50 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:16:10 -0400, kilikini wrote:
>

>> Flame retardant suit on.

>No need. I was wondering myself how the heck you got 'tainted' tomatoes.
>Watering them with untreated sewage water, maybe? Or the produce is being
>handled by 'unwashed hands'? Scary stuff.
>
>Yet another reason to grow your own <g>

'the explainer' at *slate* has a run-down:

<http://www.slate.com/id/2193474/?wpisrc=newsletter>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message .net>
> from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
>
>> Janet Baraclough wrote:

>> > Duh.

>> Duh.

> Duh duh duh
>
> They're playing your tune, don't eat me....oh what big teeth....
>
> Janet

Just when you thought it was safe......

weird Serene Vannoy General Cooking 22 10-12-2009 09:46 PM
Weird question (but at least it's on-topic) Sereney-pie General Cooking 60 19-04-2008 11:51 PM
Not For The Faint of Heart: Eggnog Cheesecake Spitzmaus General Cooking 3 05-12-2005 07:55 PM