Alan S

Default Sweet Curry

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:08:50 -0400, RR wrote:
<snip>
>Now, after all my rambling, to the point of this email. Both Gerry and
>I love curry dishes and usually have at least one a week. I'd be very
>interested in your sweet curry recipe if you'd care to either post it
>or email it to me.

Hi Ross

Here 'tis. Repeated from mhd.

It took me a while to write it down and run it through
DWIDB. Like most of my recipes, it's pretty basic. Make up
your own curry powder if you wish to, or just use a bought
powder.

Sweet Curry
Serves 4.
All measures and weights are very approximate.
Tablespoons are level.

2 tbsp Olive Oil
500gm (1¼ lb) chuck steak
1 Onion
1 clove garlic
1 cooking apple
Juice ½ lemon
30gm (1oz) sultanas or raisins
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp chutney
300 ml (1/2 pint) stock or water and stock cube.

INSTRUCTIONS :

Trim any fat or gristle from the meat and cut into rough
cubes of 2cm or 3/4".
Sear the meat in one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium
saucepan and transfer to the casserole pot when browned.
The sauce:
Saute the onion in the pan juices, add a little more oil if
necessary.
When the onions are translucent, add the chopped garlic and
the peeled and roughly diced apple.
Stir in first the curry powder, then the flour and then add
the stock.
Bring to the boil, add the chutney, lemon juice and raisins
and simmer for five minutes.
Add the sauce to the browned meat in the casserole pot.
Cover and cook in a slow oven (150C, 300F) for two hours.
Stir occasionally, adjust liquid by adding a smidgin of
water if necessary.
Turn off 30 minutes before serving and leave in the cooling
oven.

Serve with a side salad if you are watching the carbs, with
steamed rice if you're not. I can handle a heaped tablespoon
of rice with it in the evening - let your meter decide.
Sometimes I add some chopped carrots or celery in the sauce,
but keep an eye on the carbs if you add carrot.

NUTRIENT TOTALS per SERVING (w/o rice) :

Calories.....320__cal (1340Kj)
Protein........24__gm
Total Fat......17__gm
Sat. Fat......4.7__gm