MrFalafel

Default Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and Banana Curry

Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and Banana Curry - Paul Gayler

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
2.5cm (1-inch) piece fresh root ginger finely grated
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 stick lemongrass finely chopped
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste (watch out for ones with fishy bits!)
1/2 tsp turmeric
350g (12oz) pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into large cubes
300g (10 1/2 oz) sweet potato, peeled and cut in large cubes
300ml ( 1/2 pint) vegetable stock
300ml ( 1/2 pint) coconut milk
2 bananas peeled and diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and
fenugreek over a low heat for about 5 minutes until the onion is
softened. Stir in the lemongrass, curry paste and turmeric.
Add the pumpkin and sweet potato and stir to coat them in the spices.
Leave to cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes to all the vegetables to
absorb the flavours of the spices.

Pour in the vegetable stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil, lower
heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are
tender. Season, remove from the heat then add the diced bananas.
Serve with your favourite chutney on the side.
Plug

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and Banana Curry - Paul Gayler

I made this last night - it was yum - thank you Mr F - but I just could not
find red Thai paste without fish stock (or any sort of Thai paste).
Fenugreek seeds also posed a massive problem so I left them out. In the end
I used a medium Indian curry paste which was probably too heavy. I also
fried the bananas which is rather wicked but since I had messed about with
the recipe so much already I didn't think it mattered.

I'm going up to London on Sunday. Does anyone know of a Thai supermarket
that sells this paste that is convenient for Covent Garden? Planning to
have lunch at Food for Friends. Thanks in anticipation,
Deb

Kate Pugh

Plug > wrote:
> I made this last night - it was yum - thank you Mr F - but I just
> could not find red Thai paste without fish stock (or any sort of
> Thai paste).

I don't know a brand, but I have a recipe.
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...rry-paste.html

> I'm going up to London on Sunday. Does anyone know of a Thai supermarket
> that sells this paste that is convenient for Covent Garden?

Pop into Chinatown - it's very close. Check your A-Z or streetmap.co.uk
and wander around Gerrard Street and the little square at its east end.
I don't know whether you'll find a suitable ready-made paste, but you'll
be able to get any of the ingredients for the recipe at the link above
that you can't get locally to you.

Kake
Jonathan Ball

Inky Pinky wrote:

> Would love to try this recipe but haven't been on line for a few weeks and
> outlook express is only giving me a dozen or so messages for this board.
> Can someone tell me how I can get backdated ones - sorry if this seems
> utterly simple but I'm new to news groups
> thanks
> inky pinky

In general, you can go to groups.google.com and search
for posts. Some people set the x-no-archive flag to
their posts don't appear in Google, but Jon Lindsay
("Mr. Falafel") doesn't.

To save you the trouble, here's the recipe he posted: