Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet n Sour Lamb Curry

Hi guys,

Adding a little twist to the traditional Indian curry, this tastes
awesome!

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=181

Ronnie

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Phred

In article . com>, wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>Adding a little twist to the traditional Indian curry, this tastes
>awesome!

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=181

G'day Ronnie,

As it's now the mango season here in Oz (though my trees have a *very*
poor crop, like the rest of the district) this recipe looks like a
good one to try. But I have a question... You say to use "raw"
mangoes. Do you mean "green" (i.e. immature) mangoes?

I can't see why you would need to boil a ripe mango to skin it; or is
the boiling for some other purpose? And, if so, how long would you
boil it for?

[Cross-posted to aus.food for the enlightenment of fellow Aussies.]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Raw mangoes, as in green mangoes (unriped ones). We boil it so that it
reduces the sourness of the mango and makes it easier to combine with
the lamb curry. It also changes the taste of it, have you tried boiling
a banana? you will be surprised. Boiling/baking/steaming some fruits
make them sweeter and changes the consistency of the pulp inside it.

I would say bring water to a boil and then boil it covered (with the
skin on) for about 15 minutes.
Remove from hot water, let it cool for a bit, peel the skin and cut
into long slices (in the meantime, you can cook the lamb).

I have never been to Australia, recently there has been an Indian movie
shot in Australia, Salaam Namaste. Its pretty!

Ronnie

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Rod Out Back

Phred,

Not sure if this is related, but a friend of mine grew up in Singapore, and
an after-school snack was a green mango. I seem to remember they sprinkled
salt on them, and the flesh was quite firm. Turns out it is a different type
of mango to anything we see in Australia. I cant even imagine trying to eat
a green Bowen or Bullocks Heart...Sacrilege!

Dont know if this is relevant, but maybe the chef had access to this sort of
mango?? It's be interesting to know.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

"Phred" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> wrote:
>>Hi guys,
>>
>>Adding a little twist to the traditional Indian curry, this tastes
>>awesome!

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=181

> G'day Ronnie,
>
> As it's now the mango season here in Oz (though my trees have a *very*
> poor crop, like the rest of the district) this recipe looks like a
> good one to try. But I have a question... You say to use "raw"
> mangoes. Do you mean "green" (i.e. immature) mangoes?
>
> I can't see why you would need to boil a ripe mango to skin it; or is
> the boiling for some other purpose? And, if so, how long would you
> boil it for?
>
> [Cross-posted to aus.food for the enlightenment of fellow Aussies.]
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
meee

"Rod Out Back" > wrote in message
> Phred,
>
> Not sure if this is related, but a friend of mine grew up in Singapore,

and
> an after-school snack was a green mango. I seem to remember they sprinkled
> salt on them, and the flesh was quite firm. Turns out it is a different

type
> of mango to anything we see in Australia. I cant even imagine trying to

eat
> a green Bowen or Bullocks Heart...Sacrilege!
>
> Dont know if this is relevant, but maybe the chef had access to this sort

of
> mango?? It's be interesting to know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rod.......Out Back

well, DH is totally addicted to this particular refreshment...he'll eat
himself sick on salty green mangoes if i let him...>
> "Phred" > wrote in message
> > In article . com>,
> > wrote:
> >>Hi guys,
> >>
> >>Adding a little twist to the traditional Indian curry, this tastes
> >>awesome!

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=181

> > G'day Ronnie,
> >
> > As it's now the mango season here in Oz (though my trees have a *very*
> > poor crop, like the rest of the district) this recipe looks like a
> > good one to try. But I have a question... You say to use "raw"
> > mangoes. Do you mean "green" (i.e. immature) mangoes?
> >
> > I can't see why you would need to boil a ripe mango to skin it; or is
> > the boiling for some other purpose? And, if so, how long would you
> > boil it for?
> >
> > [Cross-posted to aus.food for the enlightenment of fellow Aussies.]
> >
> > Cheers, Phred.
> >
> > --
> > LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Chookie

wrote:
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >Adding a little twist to the traditional Indian curry, this tastes
> >awesome!

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=181

> G'day Ronnie,
>
> As it's now the mango season here in Oz (though my trees have a *very*
> poor crop, like the rest of the district) this recipe looks like a
> good one to try. But I have a question... You say to use "raw"
> mangoes. Do you mean "green" (i.e. immature) mangoes?
>
> I can't see why you would need to boil a ripe mango to skin it; or is
> the boiling for some other purpose? And, if so, how long would you
> boil it for?

Probably blanching is what he means -- chuck it in boiling water for a couple
of mins, then into cold. Makes it easy to skin it without losing any flesh.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Phred

wrote:

>> >Adding a little twist to the traditional Indian curry, this tastes
>> >awesome!
http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=181

>> G'day Ronnie,
>>
>> As it's now the mango season here in Oz (though my trees have a *very*
>> poor crop, like the rest of the district) this recipe looks like a
>> good one to try. But I have a question... You say to use "raw"
>> mangoes. Do you mean "green" (i.e. immature) mangoes?
>>
>> I can't see why you would need to boil a ripe mango to skin it; or is
>> the boiling for some other purpose? And, if so, how long would you
>> boil it for?

>Probably blanching is what he means -- chuck it in boiling water for a couple
>of mins, then into cold. Makes it easy to skin it without losing any flesh.

Yeah. That was my thought too -- but I'd still like to know "for how
long". (If the crop this year wasn't so very poor, I'd be happy to
experiment -- but buggered if I'm going to waste any of my far too few
Bowens on trials this year.

The other possibility is that it may be required to partly cook those
green eating mangoes. They're not too bad straight from the tree, so
I don't know if cooking would help much -- as they come, they
certainly don't compare with a tree-ripened Bowen! :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phred

In article .com>, wrote:
>Raw mangoes, as in green mangoes (unriped ones). We boil it so that it
>reduces the sourness of the mango and makes it easier to combine with
>the lamb curry. It also changes the taste of it, have you tried boiling

Ha! So there's nothing special about what variety to use. I was
wondering about that too.

>a banana? you will be surprised. Boiling/baking/steaming some fruits
>make them sweeter and changes the consistency of the pulp inside it.

I've fried bananas, cut in half long ways. Haven't tried boiling 'em.

>I would say bring water to a boil and then boil it covered (with the
>skin on) for about 15 minutes.
>Remove from hot water, let it cool for a bit, peel the skin and cut
>into long slices (in the meantime, you can cook the lamb).

Right! Thanks for the detail. Now that I have the full story I might
even sacrifice one of my very few Bowens to try this dish. :-)

>I have never been to Australia, recently there has been an Indian movie
>shot in Australia, Salaam Namaste. Its pretty!

The actress or the countryside? ;-) Like all large countries, there
are many faces of Australia. The tourist industry would have you
believe it's all rainforest and coral reefs, and Fosters after the
day's touring. :-) [The Great Barrier Reef is pretty impressive, but
tourists only get to see about 0.1% or less of it; the tropical
rainforest covers barely 900,000 hectares; and no one here drinks
Fosters. ]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LOL

Thats quite an interesting information about Australia. I didnt know
that people hardly drink Fosters in Australia, interesting.
Like in India, we dont eat NAAN every day, we eat it at restaurants
only I guess...every day, we eat ROTIS or PARATHAS.

One mexican friend of mine told me that they dont have Nachos and
Fajitas in Mexico. I was surprised. She said it is an american
creation, but I believe it, like Indian food here in USA, it sucks at
most places. I love Indian food in UK though.

I am not trying to blanch the raw mangoes, we need to cook them. The
ones I use are RAW ALPHONSO mangoes, I have never liked any other
mango, and in hindi, we call it KAIRI, if that helps!

Ronnie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I love Indian food in UK though.

YAY!!!!! I do too Ronnie, so much! We have a very large Indian
representation in some parts of the UK, and the area I'm from has for sure.
That means some EXCELLENT grocery stores to buy great spices, herbs, veggies
etc. and at very good prices. Also means a lot of our local Indian
take-aways and restaurants are far better than in other places, even in this
country, with the dishes being more like the true traditional ones (forget
'Balti' and 'tika masala' etc.) and well prepared. I'm also lucky to have an
Indian workmate here who's always bringing me food in to work, which is
always delicious - today he's brought me some long chicken meat balls cooked
in a heavily garlic flavoured, subtly spiced oil/sauce - going to have this
tonight! The only problem is, he does not cook at all, and I cannot get his
sisters to give up a single recipe LOL! I've cooked Indian 'style' (I really
don;t do recipes) dishes for him too, which he and his family have given the
thumbs-up to (phew!)

> I am not trying to blanch the raw mangoes, we need to cook them. The
> ones I use are RAW ALPHONSO mangoes, I have never liked any other
> mango, and in hindi, we call it KAIRI, if that helps!
>
> Ronnie

I love spiced, oil pickled green mangoes, drooool....! I've sat there and
eaten them right out of the tub with a fork, heheheh...

',;~}~

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
EastneyEnder

Shaun aRe wrote:
> YAY!!!!! I do too Ronnie, so much! We have a very large Indian
> representation in some parts of the UK, and the area I'm from has for sure.

Whereabouts are you, Shaun?
I used to live about 10 mins walk from Brick Lane in London. I miss it, but
I can still get everything I need where I live now, there are some good
shops here as well as almost a whole street of decent Indian restaurants.

> I love spiced, oil pickled green mangoes, drooool....! I've sat there and
> eaten them right out of the tub with a fork, heheheh...

I have had pickled green mango in Thailand, and it was delicious, also
unpickled. Both are a popular and refreshing street snack. The nearest
flavour I can think of would be Bramley apples, but the texture would be
wrong.

What would you recommend, Ronnie, if the right kind of green mango was
unavailable? I'm thinking that it might not be easy to get the right sort in
some places, and using the wrong sort might spoil things... I know, for
instance, that Thai mangoes are very mild and quite different from Caribbean
and South American ones.

------
Sue
Portsmouth, UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"EastneyEnder" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > YAY!!!!! I do too Ronnie, so much! We have a very large Indian
> > representation in some parts of the UK, and the area I'm from has for

sure.

> Whereabouts are you, Shaun?

I'm in the North, Lancashire (from Blackburn, near Preston?) - Bburn has a
huge Asian population and the food available refelects that.

> I used to live about 10 mins walk from Brick Lane in London. I miss it,

but
> I can still get everything I need where I live now, there are some good
> shops here as well as almost a whole street of decent Indian restaurants.

We have streets here, that are almost nothing but grocers selling Indian
(etc.) food stuffs, love 'em!

As for eating places, there's one I know of I haven't been to yet (andnow
cannot recall the name, ugh!) that is very highly touted - go there at the
w/e's, to find the place full of Indian familes - speaks volumes to me does
that ',;~}~

> > I love spiced, oil pickled green mangoes, drooool....! I've sat there

and
> > eaten them right out of the tub with a fork, heheheh...

> I have had pickled green mango in Thailand, and it was delicious, also
> unpickled. Both are a popular and refreshing street snack. The nearest
> flavour I can think of would be Bramley apples, but the texture would be
> wrong.

Never eaten them fresh myself, just pickeld in spiced oil, plenty of mustard
seed etc.

Cheers Sue!

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Shaun,
>
> I dont live in UK. I live near Washington DC, in USA.

Yes, I figured you were in the US.

> I visit UK
> though. You should try 'Benares Restaurant', its pricey but its a
> fusion of Indian and French cooking, I wonder if you would like it.

Well, I don't even know where that is! Could be a couple hundred miles from
me - I'm in Lancashire, northern England.

> I had never been a fan of pickles when I was in India, but my ex
> boyfriend was, always! So I learnt some for him, well...Now that I am
> here, I crave for them (I mean the pickles), and when I go to India, my
> mom makes them for me and I bring them over. I have british friends
> here, and they all grew up with Indian food, its very amazing to me,
> infact some of them can eat more spice/heat than I can

Heheh, well I am a big, nay HUGE fan of all things chile, eat lots and grow
my own (especially the chinense types, such as Habanero, Scotch bonnet
etc.) - the hotter the better, used to be, only now my digestive system does
not like ultra-hot one bit, so I take it a lot more easy with them.

'Indian' foods (wel, pseudo Indian for the most part) have taken this island
of ours by storm - I love that ',;~}~

> I get my rotis from an Indian lady here, since I work as a business
> consultant, I cannot make everything! Plus, my social life is a bit
> more active than everyone else's I see Its nice to have a co-worker
> who is Indian, if you like Indian food that is.

Yeah, he's a good lad, and REALLY loves good food, and his sisters are great
cooks (his mother was FAR better however, but she passed away a coiuple of
years ago so we don't get those delightful treats from her anymore...)

Cheers Ronnie - nice chatting with you ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Lamb stew curry cshenk General Cooking 4 28-02-2015 11:11 PM
New lamb curry recipe try out Phil..c General Cooking 12 18-09-2009 04:24 PM
Grilled Leg Of Lamb with Red Curry Marinade Reever2 Recipes (moderated) 0 26-03-2007 03:50 PM
Lamb and spinach curry.... Chatty Cathy General Cooking 10 10-07-2006 02:34 PM
SOUR SPICY PINEAPPLE CURRY (pacheri nanas) Duckie ® Recipes 0 26-01-2004 09:24 PM