Old 16-04-2005, 05:34 PM
None Given

"Mak" wrote in message
news

you use one of those vacuum sealers? buy the role of plastic bag and
seal and cut as you go?

DH wanted one of those, now we have a freezer full of vacuum sealed venison.
It was easier than wrapping in freezer paper and keeps the meat much better
plus it is easier and quicker to thaw. Come to think of it, I've never once
seen him use the thing. He always asks me to take care of anything he wants
vacpacked.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Old 16-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Jennifer

Mak wrote:

you use one of those vacuum sealers? buy the role of plastic bag and
seal and cut as you go?

Mck

I use it all the time.

I buy meats and things in bulk at Costco and freeze and seal them up.

They keep everything so much fresher in the freezer it's amazing.

I got mine on eBay...

Old 16-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Jennifer

None Given wrote:

DH wanted one of those, now we have a freezer full of vacuum sealed venison.
It was easier than wrapping in freezer paper and keeps the meat much better
plus it is easier and quicker to thaw. Come to think of it, I've never once
seen him use the thing. He always asks me to take care of anything he wants
vacpacked.

I love them.

They really suck!

Old 16-04-2005, 11:05 PM
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Jennifer wrote:

: Ma?k wrote:

: works very well using either of these. I prefer the eggplant.
: depending on how thick you cut the eggplant it usually helps to
: precook the eggplant a little before adding to the lasagna.
:
: M?ck??

: Every so often I get the grill up and hot... and I make a mass quantity
: of grilled eggplant rounds.

: Then I cool 'em down, freeze them on a cookie sheet (so they don't stick
: together) and then vacuum bag them and into the freezer. Takes a little
: time, but worth it!

: That way I can make eggplant lasagna on a moments notice. It's also a
: great side dish to take a grilled round... sprinkle with fresh garlic,
: fresh basil and some fresh grated parmagiano... broil for a few moments.
: Great with fish.

: Jennifer

You can also zap the slices in the microwave if you don't have a grill
handy. Much easier thn trying to bake or fry them.

Wendy
Old 16-04-2005, 11:07 PM
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes None Given wrote:
: "Ma?k" wrote in message
: news :
:
: you use one of those vacuum sealers? buy the role of plastic bag and
: seal and cut as you go?

: DH wanted one of those, now we have a freezer full of vacuum sealed
venison. : It was easier than wrapping in freezer paper and keeps the meat
much better : plus it is easier and quicker to thaw. Come to think of it,
I've never once : seen him use the thing. He always asks me to take care
of anything he wants : vacpacked.

: --
: No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

I get a pretty good vacuum by using a zip-lock bag and a drinking straw.
I almonst close the bag and stick the straw inthe little space let and
suck out the air, sealing the little opening very quickly as i draw the
straw out.

Wendy

Old 17-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Jennifer

W. Baker wrote:

You can also zap the slices in the microwave if you don't have a grill
handy. Much easier thn trying to bake or fry them.

Wendy

Ah, but as any frequent Alton Brown viewer knows... in the micro you
don't get the "Mailarrd" reaction!

Jennifer

Old 17-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Sherry

"None Given" wrote in
:

snip
Tomato sauce has lycopene, among other things, it is good for you.
Read the ingredients to make sure it has no added sweeteners. I
don't think anyone (except Bob) is saying avoid all carbs, just be
mindful of spikes, spread them out through the day, and try to make
the ones you do eat count as far as nutrition goes.

Some diabetics spike from tomato stuff - that was why I was asking. I
don't think it bothers me (don't eat that much to even test).

Sherry
Old 17-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Peanutjake

Hey!!

If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer making
Italian Lasagna.

You are making Greek Moussaka.

PJ

Old 17-04-2005, 03:08 AM
Evelyn Ruut

"Peanutjake" wrote in message
Hey!!

If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer
making
Italian Lasagna.

You are making Greek Moussaka.

PJ

But the spices and preparation and flavor are a lot different for moussaka.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

(to reply personally, remove 'sox')

Old 17-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Bigbird \(Peter G.\)

"Evelyn Ruut" wrote in message
"Peanutjake" wrote in message
Hey!!

If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer
making
Italian Lasagna.

You are making Greek Moussaka.

PJ

But the spices and preparation and flavor are a lot different for

moussaka.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Or maybe eggplant parmesan......

Bb

Old 17-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Mak

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:24:19 -0400, "Peanutjake"
Huffed and Puffed the following into the
madness of usenet:

Hey!!

If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer making
Italian Lasagna.

You are making Greek Moussaka.

PJ

Close but not quite.

filings and topping are not the same.

Mck
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
Old 18-04-2005, 04:36 PM
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake wrote:
: Hey!!

: If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer making
: Italian Lasagna.

: You are making Greek Moussaka.

: PJ

Interesting thought, but different seasonings. No cinnamon, etc in the
lasagna. I also never thought to try a moussaka recipe with Italian
seasoning and layered cheese!

Wendy
Old 02-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Susan

W. Baker wrote:
In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake wrote:
: I love Lasagna!

: The way I eat it, it becomes almost zero carb.

: I separate each layer and scrape all the meat filling, cheese and sauce off
: the pasta. I carefully place the pasta on the plate of someone who is not
: diabetic.

: I eat everything that is left.

: Yum Yum!!!

: PJ

If you like, you can use vegetables in place of the noodles in lasgna.
Take either zucchini or eggplane (your choice) and slice them lengthwise
so they resemble the noodles. Just use them to layer with your cheese and
sauce and you can eat the whole thing!

Wendy

Had this for dinner last night. YUM

Lasagna ViLco General Cooking 0 26-03-2010 11:43 AM
Mom's Lasagna Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 02-05-2007 12:46 PM