Alan S

Default Lasagna

Hi All

My personal Lasagna recipe:

Originally on the back of a "Zafarelli" pack, modified
somewhat.

You'll need a lightly oiled lasagne baking dish,
approximately 325x225x50 mm or 13" x 9" x 2".

Ingredients

250 gm ( ½ lb) of lasagne sheets. Most no longer need
pre-cooking, but check the label just in case.
250 to 300 gms ( ½ to ¾ lb) grated mozzarella cheese.
Grated parmesan cheese.

Meat Sauce:

2 to 3 tablespoons Olive oil
2 chopped medium onions
125 gm ( ¼ lb) roughly chopped bacon or ham
250 to 300 gms ( ½ to ¾ lb) of minced (ground) beef
1 ½ cups water
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 x 400 gm (14 oz) undrained cans of peeled tomatoes, or
equivalent in ripe fresh tomatoes, chopped.
¼ cup tomato paste
salt, pepper to taste
1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano or chopped fresh
equivalent.

Bechamel Sauce:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons plain flour
600 mls (1 pint) milk
½ teaspoon of grated nutmeg
salt, pepper to taste

Method, including meat fat reduction

In a large saucepan, gently fry the onion and bacon in a
little olive oil until onion is translucent and most of the
fat has rendered out of the bacon. Add the minced beef and
stir over moderate heat until the meat has browned and
seperated. Add the water and simmer for ten minutes. Reserve
the liquid by pouring through a strainer. Put the meat
aside, and store the liquid in the fridge to let the fat
rise to the top. Add an ice cube or two if you want to speed
the process up. Use a "fat/oil seperator" if you have one.

Gently fry the garlic in a little oil over moderate heat,
stirring until just browned. Add the chopped tomatoes with
their juice and bring to a slow simmer. Then add herbs and
seasoning. Simmer for 30 - 40 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Add just a little water if it starts to get
too thick.

Skim the fat from the reserved liquid and combine it with
the tomatoes and the reserved meat. Add the tomato paste and
simmer for another thirty minutes, stirring occasionally.

Now for the:
Bechamel sauce

Stir the flour and oil together over low heat. Increase the
heat slightly, and continue stirring while gradually adding
milk. Add the nutmeg and seasoning, continuing to stir until
the sauce is smooth and thick.

Assembly

Spread a thin layer of the meat sauce over the base of the
lasagne dish and cover with one layer of lasagne. Then
spread about 1/3 of the remaining meat sauce, followed by
1/3 of the bechamel sauce, and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat
the lasagne/meat/bechamel/cheese process until you have
three layers. And remember it doesn't have to be perfect.
Liberally sprinkle the final cheese layer with grated
parmesan.

Bake in a moderate (180 C, 360 F) for about 40 minutes or
until cooked when tested with a skewer. If the top browns
too quickly, loosely cover with aluminium foil. Let stand
for 10 - 15 minutes before serving.

I cut it into 12 serves; non dieters/diabetics usually make
it 6 or 8.

Serve it with a side green salad. I freeze individual serves
in plastic containers for later use. When re-heating, add a
little water or chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some fresh
cheese on the top.

Calories per serve: 348
Protein..............15gms
Total fat............21gms (actually, less if you skim as
suggested)
Carbs................25gms (more than I thought when I
worked it out - it's the milk and tomatoes)
Fibre.................1gm

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Cheri

Thank you Alan, it sounds wonderful.

--
Cheri

Alan S wrote in message ...
> [...]
>too quickly, loosely cover with aluminium foil. Let stand
>for 10 - 15 minutes before serving.
>
>I cut it into 12 serves; non dieters/diabetics usually make
>it 6 or 8.
>
>Serve it with a side green salad. I freeze individual serves
>in plastic containers for later use. When re-heating, add a
>little water or chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some fresh
>cheese on the top.
>
>Calories per serve: 348
>Protein..............15gms
>Total fat............21gms (actually, less if you skim as
>suggested)
>Carbs................25gms (more than I thought when I
>worked it out - it's the milk and tomatoes)
>Fibre.................1gm
>
>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
>--
>Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Cheri

Alan S wrote in message ...
> [...]
>too quickly, loosely cover with aluminium foil. Let stand
>for 10 - 15 minutes before serving.
>
>I cut it into 12 serves; non dieters/diabetics usually make
>it 6 or 8.
>
>Serve it with a side green salad. I freeze individual serves
>in plastic containers for later use. When re-heating, add a
>little water or chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some fresh
>cheese on the top.
>
>Calories per serve: 348
>Protein..............15gms
>Total fat............21gms (actually, less if you skim as
>suggested)
>Carbs................25gms (more than I thought when I
>worked it out - it's the milk and tomatoes)
>Fibre.................1gm
>
>Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
>--
>Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Peanutjake

I love Lasagna!

The way I eat it, it becomes almost zero carb.

I separate each layer and scrape all the meat filling, cheese and sauce off
the pasta. I carefully place the pasta on the plate of someone who is not
diabetic.

I eat everything that is left.

Yum Yum!!!

PJ

W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake > wrote:
: I love Lasagna!

: The way I eat it, it becomes almost zero carb.

: I separate each layer and scrape all the meat filling, cheese and sauce off
: the pasta. I carefully place the pasta on the plate of someone who is not
: diabetic.

: I eat everything that is left.

: Yum Yum!!!

: PJ

If you like, you can use vegetables in place of the noodles in lasgna.
Take either zucchini or eggplane (your choice) and slice them lengthwise
so they resemble the noodles. Just use them to layer with your cheese and
sauce and you can eat the whole thing!

Wendy

Ma¢k

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:45:40 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> Huffed and Puffed the following into the madness of
usenet:

>In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake > wrote:
>: I love Lasagna!
>
>: The way I eat it, it becomes almost zero carb.
>
>: I separate each layer and scrape all the meat filling, cheese and sauce off
>: the pasta. I carefully place the pasta on the plate of someone who is not
>: diabetic.
>
>: I eat everything that is left.
>
>: Yum Yum!!!
>
>: PJ
>
>If you like, you can use vegetables in place of the noodles in lasgna.
>Take either zucchini or eggplane (your choice) and slice them lengthwise
>so they resemble the noodles. Just use them to layer with your cheese and
>sauce and you can eat the whole thing!
>
>Wendy

works very well using either of these. I prefer the eggplant.
depending on how thick you cut the eggplant it usually helps to
precook the eggplant a little before adding to the lasagna.

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
Jennifer

Ma¢k wrote:

> works very well using either of these. I prefer the eggplant.
> depending on how thick you cut the eggplant it usually helps to
> precook the eggplant a little before adding to the lasagna.
>
> Mck©®

Every so often I get the grill up and hot... and I make a mass quantity
of grilled eggplant rounds.

Then I cool 'em down, freeze them on a cookie sheet (so they don't stick
together) and then vacuum bag them and into the freezer. Takes a little
time, but worth it!

That way I can make eggplant lasagna on a moments notice. It's also a
great side dish to take a grilled round... sprinkle with fresh garlic,
fresh basil and some fresh grated parmagiano... broil for a few moments.
Great with fish.

Jennifer

Evelyn Ruut

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Ma¢k wrote:
>
>> works very well using either of these. I prefer the eggplant.
>> depending on how thick you cut the eggplant it usually helps to
>> precook the eggplant a little before adding to the lasagna.
>>
>> Mck©®

> Every so often I get the grill up and hot... and I make a mass quantity of
> grilled eggplant rounds.
>
> Then I cool 'em down, freeze them on a cookie sheet (so they don't stick
> together) and then vacuum bag them and into the freezer. Takes a little
> time, but worth it!
>
> That way I can make eggplant lasagna on a moments notice. It's also a
> great side dish to take a grilled round... sprinkle with fresh garlic,
> fresh basil and some fresh grated parmagiano... broil for a few moments.
> Great with fish.
>
> Jennifer

Jennifer, that is brilliant. I think I am gonna try that!
Thanks!

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

(to reply personally, remove 'sox')

Alan,

As long as we're sharing recipes, here's my personal favorite.

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Meatballs
1 pound ground turkey
1/3 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1 egg white
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp minced parsley
3/4 teas dried basil leaves
3/4 teas dried oregano leaves
1/4 teas dried thyme leaves
1/2 teas salt
1/4 teas pepper
'
'
(1) Mix all of the ingredients together and shape into 18 meatballs.
Cook over medium heat in skillet until browned on all sides and no
longer pink on the inside, about 8-10 minutes. Drain well.
'
'
Sauce
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
16 oz reduced-sodium whole tomatoes, drained & chopped
8 oz reduced sodium tomato sauce
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 teas dried basil leaves
1/2 teas dried tarragon leaves
1/2 teas dried oregano
1/8 tes crushed red pepper
1/2 teas salt
1/4 teas pepper
12 oz spaghetti
'
'

(1) Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in large saucepan 2-3
minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, herbs and red
pepper. Heat to boiling. Stir in salt and pepper. Reduce heat and
simmer, uncovered, for ten minutes.
(2) Add meatballs to sauce and continue to simmer for about 10-15
minutes. Serve over cooked spaghetti.
'
8 servings
calories: 355
% from fat: 21
fat: 8.4 gm
sat fat: 42.3 mg
protein: 20.2 gm
sodium: 405 mg
carbs: 48.8 gm

ENJOY!

Thanks Alan,
We will give it a try. We love trying new recipes. We will be trying
your lasagna recipe.
Have a good day
Dragonfly

Sherry

"Peanutjake" > wrote in
:

> I love Lasagna!
>
> The way I eat it, it becomes almost zero carb.
>
> I separate each layer and scrape all the meat filling, cheese and
> sauce off the pasta. I carefully place the pasta on the plate of
> someone who is not diabetic.
>
> I eat everything that is left.
>
> Yum Yum!!!
>
> PJ

Some lasagna that I've seen would mean that there's not much left to
eat after removing the pasta! The meat and cheese layers are thinner
than the pasta! Are you making your own with oodles of meat filling and
cheeses?

What about the tomato sauce carbs?

Sherry
None Given

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> Some lasagna that I've seen would mean that there's not much left to
> eat after removing the pasta! The meat and cheese layers are thinner
> than the pasta! Are you making your own with oodles of meat filling and
> cheeses?
>
> What about the tomato sauce carbs?
>
> Sherry

Tomato sauce has lycopene, among other things, it is good for you. Read the
ingredients to make sure it has no added sweeteners. I don't think anyone
(except Bob) is saying avoid all carbs, just be mindful of spikes, spread
them out through the day, and try to make the ones you do eat count as far
as nutrition goes.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Ma¢k

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:37:58 GMT, Jennifer
> Huffed and Puffed the following into
the madness of usenet:

>Ma¢k wrote:
>
>> works very well using either of these. I prefer the eggplant.
>> depending on how thick you cut the eggplant it usually helps to
>> precook the eggplant a little before adding to the lasagna.
>>
>> Mck©®

>Every so often I get the grill up and hot... and I make a mass quantity
>of grilled eggplant rounds.
>
>Then I cool 'em down, freeze them on a cookie sheet (so they don't stick
>together) and then vacuum bag them and into the freezer. Takes a little
>time, but worth it!
>
>That way I can make eggplant lasagna on a moments notice. It's also a
>great side dish to take a grilled round... sprinkle with fresh garlic,
>fresh basil and some fresh grated parmagiano... broil for a few moments.
> Great with fish.
>
>Jennifer

you use one of those vacuum sealers? buy the role of plastic bag and
seal and cut as you go?

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
Ma¢k

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:12:05 -0500, Sherry > Huffed

:

>> I love Lasagna!
>>
>> The way I eat it, it becomes almost zero carb.
>>
>> I separate each layer and scrape all the meat filling, cheese and
>> sauce off the pasta. I carefully place the pasta on the plate of
>> someone who is not diabetic.
>>
>> I eat everything that is left.
>>
>> Yum Yum!!!
>>
>> PJ

>Some lasagna that I've seen would mean that there's not much left to
>eat after removing the pasta! The meat and cheese layers are thinner
>than the pasta! Are you making your own with oodles of meat filling and
>cheeses?
>
>What about the tomato sauce carbs?
>
>Sherry

you really don't need much tomato sauce. In fact I use so little you
see no red in my lasagna.

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."

None Given

"Ma¢k" > wrote in message
news

> you use one of those vacuum sealers? buy the role of plastic bag and
> seal and cut as you go?

DH wanted one of those, now we have a freezer full of vacuum sealed venison.
It was easier than wrapping in freezer paper and keeps the meat much better
plus it is easier and quicker to thaw. Come to think of it, I've never once
seen him use the thing. He always asks me to take care of anything he wants
vacpacked.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Jennifer

Ma¢k wrote:

> you use one of those vacuum sealers? buy the role of plastic bag and
> seal and cut as you go?
>
> Mck©®

I use it all the time.

I buy meats and things in bulk at Costco and freeze and seal them up.

They keep everything so much fresher in the freezer it's amazing.

I got mine on eBay...

Jennifer

None Given wrote:

> DH wanted one of those, now we have a freezer full of vacuum sealed venison.
> It was easier than wrapping in freezer paper and keeps the meat much better
> plus it is easier and quicker to thaw. Come to think of it, I've never once
> seen him use the thing. He always asks me to take care of anything he wants
> vacpacked.

I love them.

They really suck!

W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Jennifer > wrote:

: Ma?k wrote:

: > works very well using either of these. I prefer the eggplant.
: > depending on how thick you cut the eggplant it usually helps to
: > precook the eggplant a little before adding to the lasagna.
: >
: > M?ck??

: Every so often I get the grill up and hot... and I make a mass quantity
: of grilled eggplant rounds.

: Then I cool 'em down, freeze them on a cookie sheet (so they don't stick
: together) and then vacuum bag them and into the freezer. Takes a little
: time, but worth it!

: That way I can make eggplant lasagna on a moments notice. It's also a
: great side dish to take a grilled round... sprinkle with fresh garlic,
: fresh basil and some fresh grated parmagiano... broil for a few moments.
: Great with fish.

: Jennifer

You can also zap the slices in the microwave if you don't have a grill
handy. Much easier thn trying to bake or fry them.

Wendy
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes None Given > wrote:
: "Ma?k" > wrote in message
: news : >
: >
: > you use one of those vacuum sealers? buy the role of plastic bag and
: > seal and cut as you go?

: DH wanted one of those, now we have a freezer full of vacuum sealed
venison. : It was easier than wrapping in freezer paper and keeps the meat
much better : plus it is easier and quicker to thaw. Come to think of it,
I've never once : seen him use the thing. He always asks me to take care
of anything he wants : vacpacked.

: --
: No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

I get a pretty good vacuum by using a zip-lock bag and a drinking straw.
I almonst close the bag and stick the straw inthe little space let and
suck out the air, sealing the little opening very quickly as i draw the
straw out.

Wendy

Jennifer

W. Baker wrote:

> You can also zap the slices in the microwave if you don't have a grill
> handy. Much easier thn trying to bake or fry them.
>
> Wendy

Ah, but as any frequent Alton Brown viewer knows... in the micro you
don't get the "Mailarrd" reaction!

Jennifer

Sherry

"None Given" > wrote in
:

<snip>
> Tomato sauce has lycopene, among other things, it is good for you.
> Read the ingredients to make sure it has no added sweeteners. I
> don't think anyone (except Bob) is saying avoid all carbs, just be
> mindful of spikes, spread them out through the day, and try to make
> the ones you do eat count as far as nutrition goes.

Some diabetics spike from tomato stuff - that was why I was asking. I
don't think it bothers me (don't eat that much to even test).

Sherry
Peanutjake

Hey!!

If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer making
Italian Lasagna.

You are making Greek Moussaka.

PJ

Evelyn Ruut

"Peanutjake" > wrote in message
> Hey!!
>
> If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer
> making
> Italian Lasagna.
>
> You are making Greek Moussaka.
>
> PJ

But the spices and preparation and flavor are a lot different for moussaka.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

(to reply personally, remove 'sox')

Bigbird \(Peter G.\)

"Evelyn Ruut" > wrote in message
> "Peanutjake" > wrote in message
> > Hey!!
> >
> > If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer
> > making
> > Italian Lasagna.
> >
> > You are making Greek Moussaka.
> >
> > PJ

> But the spices and preparation and flavor are a lot different for

moussaka.

> --
> Best Regards,
> Evelyn

Or maybe eggplant parmesan......

Bb

Ma¢k

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:24:19 -0400, "Peanutjake"
> Huffed and Puffed the following into the
madness of usenet:

>Hey!!
>
> If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer making
>Italian Lasagna.
>
> You are making Greek Moussaka.
>
>PJ

Close but not quite.

filings and topping are not the same.

Mck©®
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake > wrote:
: Hey!!

: If you substitute eggplant for the pasta then you are no longer making
: Italian Lasagna.

: You are making Greek Moussaka.

: PJ

Interesting thought, but different seasonings. No cinnamon, etc in the
lasagna. I also never thought to try a moussaka recipe with Italian
seasoning and layered cheese!

Wendy
Susan

W. Baker wrote:
> In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake > wrote:
> : I love Lasagna!
>
> : The way I eat it, it becomes almost zero carb.
>
> : I separate each layer and scrape all the meat filling, cheese and sauce off
> : the pasta. I carefully place the pasta on the plate of someone who is not
> : diabetic.
>
> : I eat everything that is left.
>
> : Yum Yum!!!
>
> : PJ
>
> If you like, you can use vegetables in place of the noodles in lasgna.
> Take either zucchini or eggplane (your choice) and slice them lengthwise
> so they resemble the noodles. Just use them to layer with your cheese and
> sauce and you can eat the whole thing!
>
> Wendy

Had this for dinner last night. YUM
Susan

Lasagna ViLco General Cooking 0 26-03-2010 11:43 AM
Mom's Lasagna Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 02-05-2007 12:46 PM