orangetrader

Default Diabetic tendency - food?

My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high, but I do not have
diabetes, he said he will call it "diabetic tendency" and that I should
avoid eating things with sugar. Orange juice is ok, but sugar drinks
(Snapples, sweet tea, Coke...) is not. Now if I look at the 100% orange
juice cartoon for ingredients, I see sugar listed and it's amount is
comparable to that of a Gatorade or sweetened ice coffee. He said those are
different types of sugar. I am a little confused what is the difference?

I also have high iron content in my blood, so I need to avoid beef, spinach
etc... I also have high cholestrol, and need to avoid fatty food.

With all that, I can't eat anything!

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"orangetrader" > wrote:

> My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high,

What's the number?

> but I do not have
> diabetes, he said he will call it "diabetic tendency"

Ah, he's making up his own diagnoses, is he?

> and that I should
> avoid eating things with sugar. Orange juice is ok, but sugar drinks
> (Snapples, sweet tea, Coke...) is not. Now if I look at the 100% orange
> juice cartoon for ingredients, I see sugar listed and it's amount is
> comparable to that of a Gatorade or sweetened ice coffee. He said those are
> different types of sugar. I am a little confused what is the difference?

The difference is nothing. You need a new doctor.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Jennifer

Orange...

You need to call your doctor back.

Ask him EXACTLY what test he did (a fasting glucose? an A1c?)

Ask him the EXACT number result of that test.

You are entitled to this information.

You doctor is not doing you any favors by his vague "diagnosis".

He is also not doing you any favors by saying orange juice is okay.
Orange juice is one of the quickest acting carbs there is. Diabetics
who need to raise their blood glucose level FAST are told to drink
orange juice.

Sugar is just one of the carbohydrates, avoiding just sugar will not
help you lower your glucose levels.

If your triglycerides are high, that too is a marker for diabetes.

Get information you need from your doctor to make informed decisions.
It's your right.

Jennifer

orangetrader wrote:

> My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high, but I do not have
> diabetes, he said he will call it "diabetic tendency" and that I should
> avoid eating things with sugar. Orange juice is ok, but sugar drinks
> (Snapples, sweet tea, Coke...) is not. Now if I look at the 100% orange
> juice cartoon for ingredients, I see sugar listed and it's amount is
> comparable to that of a Gatorade or sweetened ice coffee. He said those are
> different types of sugar. I am a little confused what is the difference?
>
> I also have high iron content in my blood, so I need to avoid beef, spinach
> etc... I also have high cholestrol, and need to avoid fatty food.
>
> With all that, I can't eat anything!

Sherry

"orangetrader" > wrote in
:

> My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high, but I do not
> have diabetes, he said he will call it "diabetic tendency" and that
> I should avoid eating things with sugar. Orange juice is ok, but
> sugar drinks (Snapples, sweet tea, Coke...) is not. Now if I look
> at the 100% orange juice cartoon for ingredients, I see sugar listed
> and it's amount is comparable to that of a Gatorade or sweetened ice
> coffee. He said those are different types of sugar. I am a little
> confused what is the difference?

Find a new doctor. For a diabetic, orange juice is only ok if you're
way too low. With diabetes, sugar is sugar and carbs are carbs.

Did he give you any information about what your blood sugar levels
were? Did you have two fastings taken? Did he do an A1c? What is
"quite high"????

What are your cholesterol numbers? My doc thinks I'm too high on my
LDL and wants to put me on meds for it. I have to go down only 14
points. The rest of my lipids are perfect. Oh, BTW, she's *not* my doc
anymore.

I can't speak to the iron thing, but there is a disorder that has
elevated iron and diabetes called hemachromatosis.
http://www.cdc.gov/hemochromatosis/ Did your doc also tell you to make
sure you don't take any vitamin supplements that contain iron? There
are treatments for this.

Sherry
Ted Rosenberg

RUN do not walk to a NEW doctor

The quack you are seeing is likely to kill you

The quack I used to see went to Vermont after Maryland - are you in
Vermont - or was your doctor ever practicing in Vermont or Maryland??

orangetrader wrote:
> My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high, but I do not have
> diabetes, he said he will call it "diabetic tendency" and that I should
> avoid eating things with sugar. Orange juice is ok, but sugar drinks
> (Snapples, sweet tea, Coke...) is not. Now if I look at the 100% orange
> juice cartoon for ingredients, I see sugar listed and it's amount is
> comparable to that of a Gatorade or sweetened ice coffee. He said those are
> different types of sugar. I am a little confused what is the difference?
>
> I also have high iron content in my blood, so I need to avoid beef, spinach
> etc... I also have high cholestrol, and need to avoid fatty food.
>
> With all that, I can't eat anything!

"...in addition to being foreign territory the past is, as history, a
hall of mirrors that reflect the needs of souls observing from the present"
Glen Cook

orangetrader

The numbers a

LDL Ch = 134
HDL Ch = 54
Sugar = 99

I am not sure what is consider borderline or high. Doing some web research
but a bit confused.

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "orangetrader" > wrote:
>
> > My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high,

> What's the number?
>
> > but I do not have
> > diabetes, he said he will call it "diabetic tendency"

> Ah, he's making up his own diagnoses, is he?
>
> > and that I should
> > avoid eating things with sugar. Orange juice is ok, but sugar drinks
> > (Snapples, sweet tea, Coke...) is not. Now if I look at the 100% orange
> > juice cartoon for ingredients, I see sugar listed and it's amount is
> > comparable to that of a Gatorade or sweetened ice coffee. He said those

are
> > different types of sugar. I am a little confused what is the

difference?

> The difference is nothing. You need a new doctor.
>
> Priscilla
>
> --
> "It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
> of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
> The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
> - QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

orangetrader

The numbers a

LDL Ch = 134
HDL Ch = 54
Sugar = 99

triglycerides he said is normal. He said I had high iron level but no idea
of numbers. He did do a test on hemochromatosis a few years ago and came
back negative. I am not taking any supplements with iron, and I am staying
away from red meat and spinach. Problem is, with high cholestrol I need to
stay away from fat, with high iron stay away from red meat and other things,
and now with possible diabetic conditions, stay away from sugar I have
nothing else left to eat...

I am located in Miami, 42 year old male.

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "orangetrader" > wrote in
> :
>
> > My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high, but I do not
> > have diabetes, he said he will call it "diabetic tendency" and that
> > I should avoid eating things with sugar. Orange juice is ok, but
> > sugar drinks (Snapples, sweet tea, Coke...) is not. Now if I look
> > at the 100% orange juice cartoon for ingredients, I see sugar listed
> > and it's amount is comparable to that of a Gatorade or sweetened ice
> > coffee. He said those are different types of sugar. I am a little
> > confused what is the difference?

> Find a new doctor. For a diabetic, orange juice is only ok if you're
> way too low. With diabetes, sugar is sugar and carbs are carbs.
>
> Did he give you any information about what your blood sugar levels
> were? Did you have two fastings taken? Did he do an A1c? What is
> "quite high"????
>
> What are your cholesterol numbers? My doc thinks I'm too high on my
> LDL and wants to put me on meds for it. I have to go down only 14
> points. The rest of my lipids are perfect. Oh, BTW, she's *not* my doc
> anymore.
>
> I can't speak to the iron thing, but there is a disorder that has
> elevated iron and diabetes called hemachromatosis.
> http://www.cdc.gov/hemochromatosis/ Did your doc also tell you to make
> sure you don't take any vitamin supplements that contain iron? There
> are treatments for this.
>
> Sherry

Siobhan Perricone

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:15:46 -0500, "orangetrader"
> wrote:

>The numbers a
>
>LDL Ch = 134
>HDL Ch = 54
>Sugar = 99
>
>I am not sure what is consider borderline or high. Doing some web research
>but a bit confused.

Your HDL is where it should be. Your LDL is a little high, and he should
also tell you specifically what your triglycerides number is, and your
total cholesterol number (which is all of them added up so you can get that
yourself with all three). That blood glucose level is completely normal and
it just looks like a regular BG test, not an A1c result, so here's what you
need to get next:

Fasting blood glucose level (best done first thing when you wake up in the
morning before you've eaten anything)
A1c test (which looks at what your average BG levels are over a three or
four month period, weighted towards the last four weeks)
a new doctor

Seriously, get one who doesn't use vague hints at your health status. They
have specific criteria for what determines if you're diabetic. There are
also specific health indicators in people that can point to the tendancy to
develop diabetes, but there is really no such thing as "borderline
diabetes". That's "old speak". Doctors used to tell people that back when
the medical understanding of diabetes was less advanced. There is the
being at risk for it, and it's certainly a good idea to know what your
risks are (for instance, I have a metabolic condition that put me at risk
for getting diabetes, and have had it for most of my life, without knowing
that, or knowing that I was at risk for diabetes, though all the doctors
insist that I couldn't have avoided getting diabetes part of me still
wonders if I'd KNOWN, could I have staved it OFF for a while longer...)

Anyway, find a doctor that will talk to you in more precise language. YOu
need to know in order to make informed decisions about your health care.
It's YOUR health care, not his.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Thomas Muffaletto

you might want to get a second opinion and also
think about increasing your activity if needed.
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association

"orangetrader" > wrote in message
> My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high, but I do not have
> diabetes, he said he will call it "diabetic tendency" and that I should
> avoid eating things with sugar. Orange juice is ok, but sugar drinks
> (Snapples, sweet tea, Coke...) is not. Now if I look at the 100% orange
> juice cartoon for ingredients, I see sugar listed and it's amount is
> comparable to that of a Gatorade or sweetened ice coffee. He said those
> are
> different types of sugar. I am a little confused what is the difference?
>
> I also have high iron content in my blood, so I need to avoid beef,
> spinach
> etc... I also have high cholestrol, and need to avoid fatty food.
>
> With all that, I can't eat anything!

Priscilla H. Ballou

orangetrader wrote:

> The numbers a
>
> LDL Ch = 134
> HDL Ch = 54
> Sugar = 99
>
> I am not sure what is consider borderline or high. Doing some web research
> but a bit confused.

> "Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "orangetrader" > wrote:
> >
> > > My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high,

> > What's the number?

Is that "sugar" a fasting number? 99 is not even into the range of
pre-diabetes (aka early diabetes). (BTW, "borderline" is out of vogue
as a term.) Now, 99 is only one point shy of the bottom of the
pre-diabetic range (100-125), but technically it's not there yet.

If you want to take good care of yourself around your blood glucose and
the possibility that you're heading towards pre-diabetes and thus
diabetes (which might be a good bet), then there are some lifestyle
changes you can put into place which can help you. One is to increase
exercise. This can combat insulin resistance, plus make you healthier
generally. Another is to control your intake of carbohydrates,
especially refined carbohydrates like white flour, sugar, pasta, white
bread, white rice, potatoes. Sugar is not the only carbohydrate,
although it's a very popular one. And you probably (at this point at
least) don't need to drastically deny yourself these foods, but a move
towards whole grains in their place and smaller portion sizes would
probably boost your health and keep your blood glucose levels in line
longer. As a side-effect you may find yourself losing some weight. I
started eating low-carb (which is more drastic than I'm suggesting to
you) two years ago, and I've slowly but surely lost 40 pounds in that
time.

There's an author named Gretchen Becker who's written some excellent
books about type 2 diabetes. I've found her book on the first year with
type 2 diabetes to be very helpful. You might want to pick up her more
recent book, _Prediabetes : What You Need to Know to Keep Diabetes
Away_. Or her previous book, _Stop Diabetes: 50 Simple Steps You Can
Take at Any Age to Reduce Your Risk of Type 2 Diabetes_. I haven't
actually read either of those, but I was very impressed by the book of
hers that I have read, and I would expect these books to be very good as well.

Good luck to you. You might want to try reading some of the posts in
alt.support.diabetes and misc.health.diabetes, if you can stand the
frequent flame wars and trolls. There's a lot of interesting discussion
there. I would do a lot of reading and outside research before I'd
implement anyone's ideas, though, or assume that what's true for one
person is true for you.

Priscilla

None Given

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message

> Is that "sugar" a fasting number? 99 is not even into the range of
> pre-diabetes (aka early diabetes). (BTW, "borderline" is out of vogue
> as a term.) Now, 99 is only one point shy of the bottom of the
> pre-diabetic range (100-125), but technically it's not there yet.

The OP's doctor may be going by more updated numbers than that, like >95
I think pre-diabetes is old news now, too, they decided people weren't
taking it seriously enough.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Julie Bove

"orangetrader" > wrote in message
> The numbers a
>
> LDL Ch = 134
> HDL Ch = 54
> Sugar = 99
>
> triglycerides he said is normal. He said I had high iron level but no

idea
> of numbers. He did do a test on hemochromatosis a few years ago and came
> back negative. I am not taking any supplements with iron, and I am

staying
> away from red meat and spinach. Problem is, with high cholestrol I need

> stay away from fat, with high iron stay away from red meat and other

things,
> and now with possible diabetic conditions, stay away from sugar I have
> nothing else left to eat...

Diabetics don't need to stay away from sugar. It is carbohydrates that
raise our BG. And yes, sugar is a carb, but no worse for us in terms of BG
(blood glucose) than white bread. As for cholesterol, fat is not
necessarily bad. There are good fats, like olive oil. And there again,
excess carbs will raise cholesterol, particularly trigylcerides.

--
See my webpage: