Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Default Diabetic food shopping

Diabetic food shopping:

http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=614171

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:57:43 -0500, "Robert Miles"
> wrote:

>Diabetic food shopping:
>
>http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=614171

From the link:

"Use nonfat dry milk for drinking, cooking and baking. It's
inexpensive and has a long shelf life."

In what universe is nonfat dry milk inexpensive? Around here (Ontario,
Canada), I think it's even more expensive than fresh milk.

Jo Anne

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Jo Anne" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:57:43 -0500, "Robert Miles"
> > wrote:
>
>>Diabetic food shopping:
>>
>>http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=614171
>>

> From the link:
>
> "Use nonfat dry milk for drinking, cooking and baking. It's
> inexpensive and has a long shelf life."
>
> In what universe is nonfat dry milk inexpensive? Around here (Ontario,
> Canada), I think it's even more expensive than fresh milk.

Back when I used milk, the only reason it was less expensive for me was
because I used so little milk. I never drank it and only used it in things
like mashed potatoes or baking. The dry milk kept for at least a year in my
cupboard. I would buy the smallest box I could and usually wound up
throwing some of that out because it had expired before I needed more. If I
bought regular milk I would constantly be throwing some out.

If you're going to be buying milk for cereal or drinking then I think you
might as well use it in other things as well. Then you're not having to buy
two products. I do not recommend the powdered stuff for drinking, unless
perhaps you are going to doctor it in some way like adding syrup to it. It
doesn't taste good at all. We had to drink it sometimes when I was a kid.
I believe it was cheaper back then, but my mom bought the huge containers of
it and we shopped at cut rate grocery stores where you had to mark your own
prices on things with a grease pencil.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:59:29 -0400, Jo Anne
> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:57:43 -0500, "Robert Miles"
> wrote:
>
>>Diabetic food shopping:
>>
>>http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=614171
>>

>From the link:
>
>"Use nonfat dry milk for drinking, cooking and baking. It's
>inexpensive and has a long shelf life."
>
>In what universe is nonfat dry milk inexpensive? Around here (Ontario,
>Canada), I think it's even more expensive than fresh milk.
>
>Jo Anne

While I haven't checked in the supermarket, the online sources I just
looked at in a quick check had nonfat dry milk 25% more expensive than
whole milk.