John

Default chicken soup - should I leave the skin on?

Hi folks

When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?

TIA

--
John38
Karen

"John" > wrote in message
> Hi folks
>
> When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> John38

I leave the skin on because I think it adds a bit of flavor to the soup.
After the chicken is cooked, though, I remove and discard the skin and dark
meat (that's just my personal preference), and coarsely chop the white meat.
I also skim most of the fat off the top of the soup's surface when it's
done.

Hope this helps!

Karen
Type 2

Karen

On 9-Jan-2005, John > wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>
> TIA

I leave the skin on throughout the cooking process, then remove the skin and
excess fat from the soup before serving.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

On 9-Jan-2005, John > wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>
> TIA

I leave the skin on throughout the cooking process, then remove the skin and
excess fat from the soup before serving.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
John > wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>
> TIA

I presume you mean when making the stock for the soup?

I leave it on in order to get all the flavor. Then after I discard the
bones and skin I chill the stock and skim the fat off the top.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
John > wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>
> TIA

I presume you mean when making the stock for the soup?

I leave it on in order to get all the flavor. Then after I discard the
bones and skin I chill the stock and skim the fat off the top.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal
John

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:14:01 GMT, Hahabogus >
wrote:

Hi! thanks to all who replied. Yeah, skimming off the cold hard fat is
what I had in mind. You see, the soup thing is for work. I like to have
a light meal at work. Heavy stuff makes me sleepy. So i wanted something
like a broth, and this seems to be the way to go about it. Was worried
about the skin but as long as the hard fat can be removed, then yeah.
Dunno why I didn't think of that before

What I might do, as well, is after the chicken has been taken out and
de-boned, to break the main bones and put em back in for 30 mins or so
to get the goodness out of the cartilage and marrow.

Looks like I can make a gallon or more of stock from one 4lb chicken.
The object of this is to freeze it. I'd like to add some veges and
chicken meat to it and then freeze it in meal-sized bags or containers
so I can easily warm it up in the microwave and put it in my thermos and
take to work. I'm a bit worried about the veges in the soup not freezing
well. I suppose it's just a cast of 'suck it and see'.
--
John38 - T?

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
John > wrote:

> What I might do, as well, is after the chicken has been taken out and
> de-boned, to break the main bones and put em back in for 30 mins or so
> to get the goodness out of the cartilage and marrow.

Yup. When I've taken the meat off the bones, I generally put the bones
back in and cook 'em a while longer. That lets me not overcook the meat
but get every bit of yummitude out of the rest.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
John > wrote:

> What I might do, as well, is after the chicken has been taken out and
> de-boned, to break the main bones and put em back in for 30 mins or so
> to get the goodness out of the cartilage and marrow.

Yup. When I've taken the meat off the bones, I generally put the bones
back in and cook 'em a while longer. That lets me not overcook the meat
but get every bit of yummitude out of the rest.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Tiger Lily

the veggies freeze well in the soup stock........ i've made many a batch of
chicken rice soup that is mostly veggies and the onion will disappear from
the broth on reheating it

a touch of rice is all you need.... and don't over cook it because it will
continue to cook when you reheat it and throw it in the thermos

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"John" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:14:01 GMT, Hahabogus >
> wrote:
>
> Hi! thanks to all who replied. Yeah, skimming off the cold hard fat is
> what I had in mind. You see, the soup thing is for work. I like to have
> a light meal at work. Heavy stuff makes me sleepy. So i wanted something
> like a broth, and this seems to be the way to go about it. Was worried
> about the skin but as long as the hard fat can be removed, then yeah.
> Dunno why I didn't think of that before
>
> What I might do, as well, is after the chicken has been taken out and
> de-boned, to break the main bones and put em back in for 30 mins or so
> to get the goodness out of the cartilage and marrow.
>
> Looks like I can make a gallon or more of stock from one 4lb chicken.
> The object of this is to freeze it. I'd like to add some veges and
> chicken meat to it and then freeze it in meal-sized bags or containers
> so I can easily warm it up in the microwave and put it in my thermos and
> take to work. I'm a bit worried about the veges in the soup not freezing
> well. I suppose it's just a cast of 'suck it and see'.
> --
> John38 - T?

Tiger Lily

"John" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:14:01 GMT, Hahabogus >
> wrote:
>
> Hi! thanks to all who replied. Yeah, skimming off the cold hard fat is
> what I had in mind. You see, the soup thing is for work. I like to have
> a light meal at work. Heavy stuff makes me sleepy. So i wanted something
> like a broth, and this seems to be the way to go about it. Was worried
> about the skin but as long as the hard fat can be removed, then yeah.
> Dunno why I didn't think of that before
>
> What I might do, as well, is after the chicken has been taken out and
> de-boned, to break the main bones and put em back in for 30 mins or so
> to get the goodness out of the cartilage and marrow.
>
> Looks like I can make a gallon or more of stock from one 4lb chicken.
> The object of this is to freeze it. I'd like to add some veges and
> chicken meat to it and then freeze it in meal-sized bags or containers
> so I can easily warm it up in the microwave and put it in my thermos and
> take to work. I'm a bit worried about the veges in the soup not freezing
> well. I suppose it's just a cast of 'suck it and see'.
> --
> John38 - T?

Shawn Hearn

In article >,
John > wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>
> TIA

Whatever you want to do is fine. Leaving the skin on imparts more
flavor, but also more fat. From a diabetes point of view, it makes no
difference since chicken has no carbs.
Thomas Muffaletto

When I make chicken soup I take it off.
why not ask your doctor that question?

--
Tom
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
"John" > wrote in message
> Hi folks
>
> When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> John38

Jennifer

John > wrote:

>>Hi folks
>>
>>When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>>
>>TIA

Easy.

Cook it with the skin on to add the flavor.

Then chill the soup overnight. The fat will solidfy on top.

Skim it off, throw it away.

You've got flavorful soup... no fat.

Jennifer

Jennifer

John > wrote:

>>Hi folks
>>
>>When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>>
>>TIA

Easy.

Cook it with the skin on to add the flavor.

Then chill the soup overnight. The fat will solidfy on top.

Skim it off, throw it away.

You've got flavorful soup... no fat.

Jennifer

serene

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:38:47 -0800, Shawn Hearn wrote
(in article >):

> In article >,
> John > wrote:
>
>> Hi folks
>>
>> When making chicken soup, should I peel the skin/fat off before cooking?
>>
>> TIA

> Whatever you want to do is fine. Leaving the skin on imparts more
> flavor, but also more fat. From a diabetes point of view, it makes no
> difference since chicken has no carbs.

You think fat doesn't matter from a diabetes point of view? Weird.

serene

Alan S

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:22:16 -0800, serene >
wrote:

|> Whatever you want to do is fine. Leaving the skin on imparts more
|> flavor, but also more fat. From a diabetes point of view, it makes no
|> difference since chicken has no carbs.
|
|You think fat doesn't matter from a diabetes point of view? Weird.
|
|serene

Hi serene

Anything matters in excess - from a health point of view. However, the
fat won't quickly put up your BGs, and is no problem at all in
moderation unless you are also trying to lose weight.

What was weird?

My definition of weird is medics who recommend high-carb diets for
type 2 diabetics.

When I cook chicken soup, I leave the skin on for the flavour, then
let it cool until the fat solidifies on top and skim it. But I'm
trying to lose weight - a fit diabetic may find it adequate to just
skim the surplus off the top without cooling.

Cheers, Alan

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> When I cook chicken soup, I leave the skin on for the flavour, then
> let it cool until the fat solidifies on top and skim it. But I'm
> trying to lose weight - a fit diabetic may find it adequate to just
> skim the surplus off the top without cooling.

I prefer to leave the skin on and then skim off the fat because of
aesthetics. I think the soup tastes better when I'm not having to fight
my way through grease to get to the tastes of the vegies, the herbs, the
chicken.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Hahabogus

Priscilla Ballou > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Alan S > wrote:
>
> > When I cook chicken soup, I leave the skin on for the flavour,
> > then let it cool until the fat solidifies on top and skim it. But
> > I'm trying to lose weight - a fit diabetic may find it adequate to
> > just skim the surplus off the top without cooling.

> I prefer to leave the skin on and then skim off the fat because of
> aesthetics. I think the soup tastes better when I'm not having to
> fight my way through grease to get to the tastes of the vegies, the
> herbs, the chicken.
>
> Priscilla

I usually save up 3 or 4 carcasses then make soup from the remains...So
it is too late, I've already eaten the skin. I still have to skim/peel
the fat off the chilled broth/stock though.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban