Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default For Channuka Cauliflower Pancakes

I hope it works this time. didn't get it copied the first time.

Here is a recipe for a cauliflower pancake that can be used instead of the
usual potato pancakes eaten at Channuka. I woudl skip the sauce and use
the more traditional either apple sauce or sour cream(in moderation, of
course:-)

I have used cauliflower as a potato substitute in those fauxtatoes that
were much discussed here some time ago. I am swondering about reducign
the 4 Tbs of either flour or cornstarch and wonder if you have any
suggestions for something to kind of hold the mixture together.

I am sending the URL, rather than the recipe because , when I tried to
copy the text it just didn't print the whole thing. I do plan to try
these this year for the holiday, and may even see if my non-vegetable
eating granddaughters might like them:-)

http://www.thekosherchannel.com/cftk-ch2.html

It ight be nice to exchange all kinds of holiday foods that we have found
to substitute for many of the very carby and heavy traditional ones.
Everyone has carb issues at holiday time, so lets share our wisdom,
gathered over years of substitutions!!!It needn't be all paleo low, but
any sizeable reduction in carbs , and for those interested, calories, will
help with our bgs at this challanging time of the year.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> I hope it works this time. didn't get it copied the first time.
>
> Here is a recipe for a cauliflower pancake that can be used instead of the
> usual potato pancakes eaten at Channuka. I woudl skip the sauce and use
> the more traditional either apple sauce or sour cream(in moderation, of
> course:-)
>
> I have used cauliflower as a potato substitute in those fauxtatoes that
> were much discussed here some time ago. I am swondering about reducign
> the 4 Tbs of either flour or cornstarch and wonder if you have any
> suggestions for something to kind of hold the mixture together.
>
> I am sending the URL, rather than the recipe because , when I tried to
> copy the text it just didn't print the whole thing. I do plan to try
> these this year for the holiday, and may even see if my non-vegetable
> eating granddaughters might like them:-)
>
> http://www.thekosherchannel.com/cftk-ch2.html
>
> It ight be nice to exchange all kinds of holiday foods that we have found
> to substitute for many of the very carby and heavy traditional ones.
> Everyone has carb issues at holiday time, so lets share our wisdom,
> gathered over years of substitutions!!!It needn't be all paleo low, but
> any sizeable reduction in carbs , and for those interested, calories, will
> help with our bgs at this challanging time of the year.

Chickpea flour is somewhat lower in carb than wheat flour, and does a
fine job of binding zucchini pancakes together.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/29/2015 03:26 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> I hope it works this time. didn't get it copied the first time.
>>
>> Here is a recipe for a cauliflower pancake that can be used instead of the
>> usual potato pancakes eaten at Channuka. I woudl skip the sauce and use
>> the more traditional either apple sauce or sour cream(in moderation, of
>> course:-)
>>
>> I have used cauliflower as a potato substitute in those fauxtatoes that
>> were much discussed here some time ago. I am swondering about reducign
>> the 4 Tbs of either flour or cornstarch and wonder if you have any
>> suggestions for something to kind of hold the mixture together.

Hi Wendy,

I use Crushed Chia seeds as a thickener.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/nutiv...seed-12-oz-pkg

Nutrition data:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3061/2

1 ounce (28 grams):
12 grams carbs
11 grams fiber
glycemic load = 1 (Yipee!)

From the package above:
1 Tablespoon
5 grams carbs
5 grams fiber

I have no idea what one ounce is in Tablespoons.

And I have no idea if it melts when heated. It hardens up
real nice when cooled.

>> I am sending the URL, rather than the recipe because , when I tried to
>> copy the text it just didn't print the whole thing. I do plan to try
>> these this year for the holiday, and may even see if my non-vegetable
>> eating granddaughters might like them:-)
>>
>> http://www.thekosherchannel.com/cftk-ch2.html
>>
>> It ight be nice to exchange all kinds of holiday foods that we have found
>> to substitute for many of the very carby and heavy traditional ones.
>> Everyone has carb issues at holiday time, so lets share our wisdom,
>> gathered over years of substitutions!!!It needn't be all paleo low, but
>> any sizeable reduction in carbs , and for those interested, calories, will
>> help with our bgs at this challanging time of the year.
>>

> Chickpea flour is somewhat lower in carb than wheat flour, and does a
> fine job of binding zucchini pancakes together.

Hi Wendy and Alice,

One of mine to share. If you like syrup on your pancakes,
try sautéing blueberries (or black berries, etc.) in butter
and pouring it over your pancakes. I have also used a bit of
crushed Chia seed as a thickener. I have used over ripe apricots
too. I add a packet of Stevia powder sometimes too. It depends
on how sweet the fruit is. (Be careful to under do it with Stevia
as overdoing it will come out like gasoline/saccharine.)

Since going ancestral, cauliflower has tasted "metallic" to me.
I figure it is because 1) badly grown cauliflower and/or 2) I am
just not cooking it right. How did your's come out?

I have used cauliflower in my Primal Moussaka recipe and
the cauliflower came out okay. I am not posting the recipe
as it is not quiet right and so hard to make that I haven't had
time to work on it. (If anyone wants it, I will post it anyway,
as long as you forgive me when it doesn't come out right.)

Chickpea flour:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4406/2

1 cup (16 T):
53.2 grams carbs (3.325 grams per Tablespoon)
27 Glycemic load (1.7 per T)

A load of 1.7 per T is not so bad, but I would still have
to be careful.

No mention of the amount of Phytic Acid, fodmaps, or lectins.
Legumes are considered unhealthy for Primal/Paleo/ancestrial
diets:
http://paleoleap.com/beans-and-legumes/

Here is an interesting newcomer on the stage:
Coffee flour:
http://www.coffeeflour.com/nutritional-facts/
1 T = 6.5 g carbs
5.2 g fiber (1.8 g soluble, 3.4 insoluble)

I have been unable to locate the Glycemic Load, but
it should be low considering the fiber content.
But at 6.5 grams per tablespoon, it is way out of my range.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/29/2015 11:52 PM, T wrote:
> [...]

> Chickpea flour:
> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4406/2
>
> 1 cup (16 T):
> 53.2 grams carbs (3.325 grams per Tablespoon)
> 27 Glycemic load (1.7 per T)
>
> A load of 1.7 per T is not so bad, but I would still have
> to be careful.
>
> No mention of the amount of Phytic Acid, fodmaps, or lectins.
> Legumes are considered unhealthy for Primal/Paleo/ancestrial
> diets:
> http://paleoleap.com/beans-and-legumes/
>

> Here is an interesting newcomer on the stage:
> Coffee flour:
> http://www.coffeeflour.com/nutritional-facts/
> 1 T = 6.5 g carbs
> 5.2 g fiber (1.8 g soluble, 3.4 insoluble)
>
> I have been unable to locate the Glycemic Load, but
> it should be low considering the fiber content.
> But at 6.5 grams per tablespoon, it is way out of my range.

I thought I had better point out that I only post fiber
for two reasons: 1) digestive health, and 2) glycemic
load. I am not posing it so I can do the Atkins
thing and subtract fiber from carbs. A carb is a carb
is a carb.

I keep my Glycemic Load down to 10 or lower a day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/29/2015 09:27 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> It ight be nice to exchange all kinds of holiday foods that we have found
> to substitute for many of the very carby and heavy traditional ones.

Found a wonderful reference:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-holiday-desserts/

Both the Coconut Macadamia Bark and the Chocolate Chip Cookies
look good.

> Everyone has carb issues at holiday time

I have been blessed not to have this problem. Once you get
to ancestral levels of carbs/sugars, your satiation switch
resets and anything more is "cloying". Berries are plenty
sweet for me.

I lost someone from my life about six months ago that I was
very fond of to carbohydrate addiction (T2). First one foot,
then the other, then his kidneys, then a massive heart attack,
then his arm lost circulations, and a final massive heart attack.
It breaks my heart when I have to go into his old office
to work and I can still smell his scent. He could not give
up the carbs. He was a wonderful man and I miss him.