Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Beets Greens and Cheddar Casarole

I have more problems with this recipe, but perhaps someone here has some
ideas. It is the flour in the bechamel as well as flour and oatmeal in
the crumble topping that cause a problem. does anyne have an idea of how
to thickenth bechemel and how little oatmeal might work to make a thinner
crumble topping for this dish, which also looks tasy and a kind of
substitute for somewhere where mac and cheese might be used.

http://nyti.ms/1eMahrO

Any thoughts woudl be good or perhaps just a baked flavored cheese topping
rather than the crumble.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> I have more problems with this recipe, but perhaps someone here has some
> ideas. It is the flour in the bechamel as well as flour and oatmeal in
> the crumble topping that cause a problem. does anyne have an idea of how
> to thickenth bechemel and how little oatmeal might work to make a thinner
> crumble topping for this dish, which also looks tasy and a kind of
> substitute for somewhere where mac and cheese might be used.
>
> http://nyti.ms/1eMahrO
>
> Any thoughts woudl be good or perhaps just a baked flavored cheese topping
> rather than the crumble.

Wow, that's awfully rich (11 tablespoons of butter for 6-8 servings!).

Gram flour (chickpea flour) is a little less carby than wheat flour (and
has less of an effect on my blood sugar). So that might be a substitute
for some or all of the flour. It might not be authentic, but it should
be possible to replace the milk with vegetable broth and a little cream,
as well as to use less flour in the crumble topping; 1/4 cup of rolled
oats doesn't seem worth worrying about.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > I have more problems with this recipe, but perhaps someone here has some
: > ideas. It is the flour in the bechamel as well as flour and oatmeal in
: > the crumble topping that cause a problem. does anyne have an idea of how
: > to thickenth bechemel and how little oatmeal might work to make a thinner
: > crumble topping for this dish, which also looks tasy and a kind of
: > substitute for somewhere where mac and cheese might be used.
: >
: > http://nyti.ms/1eMahrO
: >
: > Any thoughts woudl be good or perhaps just a baked flavored cheese topping
: > rather than the crumble.
: >
: >

: Wow, that's awfully rich (11 tablespoons of butter for 6-8 servings!).

: Gram flour (chickpea flour) is a little less carby than wheat flour (and
: has less of an effect on my blood sugar). So that might be a substitute
: for some or all of the flour. It might not be authentic, but it should
: be possible to replace the milk with vegetable broth and a little cream,
: as well as to use less flour in the crumble topping; 1/4 cup of rolled
: oats doesn't seem worth worrying about.

: --
: "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
: what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

I think you are right about the general richeness. I would be inclined
touse less butter and that is easily accomplished in the topping,
particulely if one makes a cheese oatmeal one withotu that extra butter.
It might end up not being practical once all the substitutions getade, so
I an less likely to try it than the Indian recipe I salso sent.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Just steam the beet greens in a little low-sodium chicken broth and add
lemon juice at the table.

Who needs all that fat to screw around with glucose uptake?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Just steam the beet greens in a little low-sodium chicken broth and add
: lemon juice at the table.

: Who needs all that fat to screw around with glucose uptake?

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

: ---
: This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

That's fine if you don't want the cheese also, for me. Who needs a recipe
just for bet greens adn beets? It is the cassarole idea to make someting
into a main course, not jsut a side of vegetables.

Wendy