Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Greens, greens, the magical...

I'm growing bored with the usual ways of preparing greens like chard,
kale, mustard greens, or collard greens.

I've tried kale and chard raw in salads. I've slow-cooked all of them
with bacon or ham. I've had kale with mushrooms and lentils. For Lundi
Gras I cooked collard greens and mustard greens with carrots, onions,
and andouille. I've cooked them "agrodolce" with onions, red wine
vinegar, raisins, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts. I've made gratins
out of them. I've cooked them plain and served them topped with chopped
hard-boiled eggs or as filling in an omelet (usually with cheese). I've
made gumbo z'herbes with them. I've used braised kale as a hot dog
topping (kind of an improved sauerkraut). I've had chard/ricotta gnudi
and ravioli. I've had chard steamed, chilled, and sprinkled with sesame
oil and sesame seeds. I've had greens with béchamel sauce, mornay sauce,
coconut curry sauce, and hot sauce. I've even had the rather odd
"tourtes de Blettes", which is a kind of chard/apple tart. And while
each one has been good in its own way (not so much that tart thing,
though), I want something new to do with them.

Anybody out there have an unusual and tasty way of preparing any of them?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 24, 9:07*pm, Bob Terwilliger >
wrote:
> I'm growing bored with the usual ways of preparing greens like chard,
> kale, mustard greens, or collard greens.
>
> I've tried kale and chard raw in salads. I've slow-cooked all of them
> with bacon or ham. I've had kale with mushrooms and lentils. For Lundi
> Gras I cooked collard greens and mustard greens with carrots, onions,
> and andouille. I've cooked them "agrodolce" with onions, red wine
> vinegar, raisins, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts. I've made gratins
> out of them. I've cooked them plain and served them topped with chopped
> hard-boiled eggs or as filling in an omelet (usually with cheese). I've
> made gumbo z'herbes with them. I've used braised kale as a hot dog
> topping (kind of an improved sauerkraut). I've had chard/ricotta gnudi
> and ravioli. I've had chard steamed, chilled, and sprinkled with sesame
> oil and sesame seeds. I've had greens with béchamel sauce, mornay sauce,
> coconut curry sauce, and hot sauce. I've even had the rather odd
> "tourtes de Blettes", which is a kind of chard/apple tart. And while
> each one has been good in its own way (not so much that tart thing,
> though), I want something new to do with them.
>
> Anybody out there have an unusual and tasty way of preparing any of them?
>
> Bob

green smoothies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
>Bob "FoodTVRegurgitator" T'willi wrote:
>
>> I'm growing bored with the usual ways of preparing greens like chard,
>> kale, mustard greens, or collard greens.
>>
>> I've tried kale and chard raw in salads. I've slow-cooked all of them
>> with bacon or ham. I've had kale with mushrooms and lentils. For Lundi
>> Gras I cooked collard greens and mustard greens with carrots, onions,
>> and andouille. I've cooked them "agrodolce" with onions, red wine
>> vinegar, raisins, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts. I've made gratins
>> out of them. I've cooked them plain and served them topped with chopped
>> hard-boiled eggs or as filling in an omelet (usually with cheese). I've
>> made gumbo z'herbes with them. I've used braised kale as a hot dog
>> topping (kind of an improved sauerkraut). I've had chard/ricotta gnudi
>> and ravioli. I've had chard steamed, chilled, and sprinkled with sesame
>> oil and sesame seeds. I've had greens with béchamel sauce, mornay sauce,
>> coconut curry sauce, and hot sauce. I've even had the rather odd
>> "tourtes de Blettes", which is a kind of chard/apple tart. And while
>> each one has been good in its own way (not so much that tart thing,
>> though), I want something new to do with them.
>>
>> Anybody out there have an unusual and tasty way of preparing any of them?
>>
>> Bob

>green smoothies.

The most obvious way to prepare leafy greens is stuffed, a la cabbage
rolls, dolmas, etc. There are dozens of stuffed leafy greens recipes
on line but this one is so simple even a baboon assface keyboard kook
can fake it:
http://www.brooklyntheborough.com/20...ffed-collards/

Beyond keyboard kookery:
http://www.whatwereeating.com/recipe...-fusion-sushi/

Stay tuned for keyboardkooktv stuffed mustard greens:
http://www.starchefs.com/features/mu..._aglibot.shtml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote:
-snip-
>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 1 lb fresh kale -- carefully rinsed, stems and center
> ribs cut away and discarded, leaves coarsely chopped

The rest all looks good-- but am I the only one who eats the entire
bunch of kale? I chop the stems and ribs and steam separately as
they take longer-- but the flavor is just as good, and I like the
texture.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> http://www.brooklyntheborough.com/20...ffed-collards/
>
> Beyond keyboard kookery:
> http://www.whatwereeating.com/recipe...-fusion-sushi/
>
> Stay tuned for keyboardkooktv stuffed mustard greens:
> http://www.starchefs.com/features/mu..._aglibot.shtml

All pretty good suggestions; thanks. That last one caught my attention
because the serving size must be pretty huge; it says 4-6 servings from
4 pounds of boneless pork and two bunches mustard greens. Maybe the
bunches of mustard greens that I buy are bigger than what he gets, but
that would easily fill two 13-by-9-inch baking pans.

All those recipes use greens as wrappers, and while that's a decent
idea, in order to use up a bunch of greens I'd have to make about a
bushel of rolls. Still, they're handy notions for using up odds and
ends, and I'm sure I'll make use of them sometime in the coming months.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l wrote:

> Sautéed Kale with Smoked Paprika Recipe

Recipe saved, thanks. I think this might be even better with collard
greens, because collards match especially well with smoky flavors.

> Roasted Radishes with Radish Greens

Recipe also saved: This *should* be a good time of year for radishes,
but for some reason only black radishes are currently being prominently
displayed at the farmers' markets. Do you supposed the recipe would work
with black radishes? They're more like dry turnips than they are like
normal radishes, so I think it *should* work. I'll see what the market
has to offer this coming Tuesday.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New favorite kale recipe; was: Greens, greens, the magical...

Must be too many 'kale is just for chips' folks here. 24 hours
without comment?<g>

"l, not -l" > wrote:

-snip-

>Yesterday, I tried a new Kale recipe that turned out great; it may be my new
>go-to kale recipe. I made it without any of the identified Optional
>ingredients.
>
>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> 5-Minute Steamed Kale with Mediterranean Dressing

-snip the ingredients it looks good to me- I'd go for some Kalamata
olives and Feta on mine
-

>Chop garlic and let it sit for 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting
>properties.

???? Really? Is that some 'common knowledge' that has passed me
by?

>Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water and bring to boil.
>
>While water is coming to a boil, slice kale leaves into 1/2-inch slices, and
>cut again crosswise. Cut stems into 1/4-inch slices. Let kale sit for at
>least 5 minutes to bring out it health-promoting properties.

Kale, too? At least they didn't have you tossing those stems. I
chop mine into bite-sized and steam them separately-- but I see lots
of recipes that say discard.

-snip-
> "With this delicious, easy-to-prepare recipe you can include kale as part
> of your Healthiest Way of Eating in a matter of minutes. Kale is one of
> the healthiest vegetables around with one serving providing you with an
> excellent source of health-promoting
> v"

You're a 'V'?! The show is off the air, but the V survive.<G>

>Source:
> "http://www.whfoods.com/"

-snip-
>Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 322 Calories;

I know they have to do that-- but those 'unknown items' could kill
you.

I did a massaged Kale salad last fall that was 'pretty good' -- the
technique is worth looking for a better recipe, though. No cooking
involved. you literally massage the kale with an acid [lemon juice,
cider, etc]

I like kale because it tastes good-- I didn't know it was 'health
food'.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:55:07 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>Must be too many 'kale is just for chips' folks here. 24 hours
>without comment?<g>
>
>"l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>-snip-
>>
>>Yesterday, I tried a new Kale recipe that turned out great; it may be my new
>>go-to kale recipe. I made it without any of the identified Optional
>>ingredients.
>>
>>* Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> 5-Minute Steamed Kale with Mediterranean Dressing

>-snip the ingredients it looks good to me- I'd go for some Kalamata
>olives and Feta on mine
>-
>>
>>Chop garlic and let it sit for 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting
>>properties.

>???? Really? Is that some 'common knowledge' that has passed me
>by?

snip
>Jim

I saw those 'let sit' directions for broccoli recently. Does anyone
know what has generated these directions.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I'm growing bored with the usual ways of preparing greens like chard,
> kale, mustard greens, or collard greens.
>
> I've tried kale and chard raw in salads. I've slow-cooked all of them
> with bacon or ham. I've had kale with mushrooms and lentils. For Lundi
> Gras I cooked collard greens and mustard greens with carrots, onions,
> and andouille. I've cooked them "agrodolce" with onions, red wine
> vinegar, raisins, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts. I've made gratins
> out of them. I've cooked them plain and served them topped with chopped
> hard-boiled eggs or as filling in an omelet (usually with cheese). I've
> made gumbo z'herbes with them. I've used braised kale as a hot dog
> topping (kind of an improved sauerkraut). I've had chard/ricotta gnudi
> and ravioli. I've had chard steamed, chilled, and sprinkled with sesame
> oil and sesame seeds. I've had greens with béchamel sauce, mornay sauce,
> coconut curry sauce, and hot sauce. I've even had the rather odd
> "tourtes de Blettes", which is a kind of chard/apple tart. And while
> each one has been good in its own way (not so much that tart thing,
> though), I want something new to do with them.
>
> Anybody out there have an unusual and tasty way of preparing any of them?
>
> Bob

I made a big pot of cauliflower mash and I had some leftovers. I
decided to wash and chop some kale leaves and saute them with a bit of
butter salt and pepper. I put a lid on the skillet and let them
steam on low for about 5 minutes. Then I mixed in the cauliflower
mash and let it heat through in the skillet.

It was delicious. A twist on colcannon. Very tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>>Chop garlic and let it sit for 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting
>>properties.

> ???? Really? Is that some 'common knowledge' that has passed me
> by?

First I've heard of it.

> I like kale because it tastes good-- I didn't know it was 'health
> food'.

It's a low carb favorite. It's a member of the cabbage family so it is
high in most vitamins. It's closer to the original wild ancestor than
its highly modified cousins like cauliflower and kohlrabi so it's lower
in carbs even among the cabbage family. As a result its vitamin per
calorie or vitamin per carb gram ratio is among the highest of any food.
Kale is a nutritional rock star because of that.

Another nutritional rock star mentioned here is garlic. Small enough to
have a tiny calorie or carb count but jam packed with antioxidants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Must be too many 'kale is just for chips' folks here. 24 hours
>without comment?<g>

Kale is probably my single most favourite vegetable!
Especially Tuscan Kale...

I steam it, cream it, bake it and eat it raw in salads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2012 12:49 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:55:07 -0500, Jim >
> wrote:
>
>> Must be too many 'kale is just for chips' folks here. 24 hours
>> without comment?<g>

> Kale is probably my single most favourite vegetable!
> Especially Tuscan Kale...
>
> I steam it, cream it, bake it and eat it raw in salads.

Kale seems to be getting popular these days. I've seen it in my
refrigerator several times although, I've never made it. I recently had
some choy sum that was either steamed or boiled. It was made in an
unusual way - cooked in a bundle and then sliced so it forms a compact
package that you eat in a very orderly way. I don't care much for
veggies but the method was appealing and tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:21:15 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 3/8/2012 12:49 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:55:07 -0500, Jim >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Must be too many 'kale is just for chips' folks here. 24 hours
>>> without comment?<g>

>> Kale is probably my single most favourite vegetable!
>> Especially Tuscan Kale...
>>
>> I steam it, cream it, bake it and eat it raw in salads.
>>

>Kale seems to be getting popular these days.

Sure is, and good to see IMO. I started using it about 6 or 7 years
ago, when I was getting back into a healthier diet again (not that my
existing diet was all that bad). Found it was high in antioxidants,
etc. so that was my motivation to seek it out. Started growing it and
haven't stopped since, it's a very easy vegetable to grow too. Even
the frost improves it's flavour.

>I've seen it in my refrigerator several times although,

Just seen it in there?

>I've never made it. I recently had
>some choy sum that was either steamed or boiled. It was made in an
>unusual way - cooked in a bundle and then sliced so it forms a compact
>package that you eat in a very orderly way. I don't care much for
>veggies but the method was appealing and tasty.

Sounds interesting.

Greens George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 3 12-05-2014 05:26 AM
pea greens bulka[_2_] General Cooking 2 08-06-2009 03:23 AM