Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Beets Greens and Cheddar Casarole

Alice Faber > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > I have more problems with this recipe, but perhaps someone here has some
: > ideas. It is the flour in the bechamel as well as flour and oatmeal in
: > the crumble topping that cause a problem. does anyne have an idea of how
: > to thickenth bechemel and how little oatmeal might work to make a thinner
: > crumble topping for this dish, which also looks tasy and a kind of
: > substitute for somewhere where mac and cheese might be used.
: >
: > http://nyti.ms/1eMahrO
: >
: > Any thoughts woudl be good or perhaps just a baked flavored cheese topping
: > rather than the crumble.
: >
: >

: Wow, that's awfully rich (11 tablespoons of butter for 6-8 servings!).

: Gram flour (chickpea flour) is a little less carby than wheat flour (and
: has less of an effect on my blood sugar). So that might be a substitute
: for some or all of the flour. It might not be authentic, but it should
: be possible to replace the milk with vegetable broth and a little cream,
: as well as to use less flour in the crumble topping; 1/4 cup of rolled
: oats doesn't seem worth worrying about.

: --
: "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
: what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

I think you are right about the general richeness. I would be inclined
touse less butter and that is easily accomplished in the topping,
particulely if one makes a cheese oatmeal one withotu that extra butter.
It might end up not being practical once all the substitutions getade, so
I an less likely to try it than the Indian recipe I salso sent.

Wendy