Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

I started out gluten-free and switched to paleo after
BG measurements showed problems with dairy and ELISA
allergy tests showed problems with legumes. That
was enough to keep me off insulin.

Then I began reading up various paleo experts, and
they do not agree with each other. Most of them
also seem to do low carb, and as I am also allergic
to eggs and most fruit that left me with nothing to
eat. Potatoes were fortunately OK, but of course
it is not OK to eat *only* potatoes.

I divided prohibited foods into groups, and I began looking at the
biochemistry. What do dairy products and legumes have
in common? The answer is galactose, a simple sugar that
occurs by itself or as a component of lactose. What
do fruit and grains have in common? The answer is fructose,
a simple sugar that occurs by itself or as a component of
sucrose, HFCS, and also in the fructans that are part of the
cell walls of all grasses. So what do fructose and galactose
have in common? They cannot be metabolized directly, but
instead are converted into lipids by the liver.

So I reduced the paleo diet to a low fructose/galactose diet.
These sugars were not found in our paleolithic environment
in any large quantities. Because there was no pressure from
natural selection to maintain these metabolic pathways, our
individual tolerance for these sugars varies widely.

Now I note that those who are on low-carb diets are on low
sugar diets (sugars being carbs). So the low-carb diets
that work for many people are also low fructose/galactose
diets: whether the dieters realize it or not.

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:14:22 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> As a NIDDMs (non insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, or
> Type 2 Diebetic). And I eat Paleo, which mean mostly
> meat and plants (as natural or organic as I can get it).

So now lets take a look at your paleo diet from this
standpoint.

> This morning's breakfast consisted of steak, Opuntia
> (prickly Pear cactus), three cherry tomatoes, Chimayo
> powder (New Mexico Red Chili), butter, cheddar cheese
> all mixed together in bowl.

I assume you mean the cactus leaves and not the fruits.
That should be OK. I've been meaning to try them.

Tomatoes have too much fructose unless they are thoroughly cooked,
but three cherry tomatoes is probably a small enough amount
to be OK.

Butter and cheese are dairy products, and they are *not*
paleo. They both contain lactose. The lactose can be
removed by aging the cheese. Coconut butter can be substituted
for butter. I suspect that clarified butter might be
Ok as might *boiled* milk. Heat tends to break down these
simple sugars.

> Yesterdays was two soft boiled organic eggs in place of
> the steak.

That would be fine, assuming you are not allergic to eggs.
I had no idea I had a problem with them except that I didn't
like them without spices. Then the ELISA test showed serious
problems with them, and eliminating them gave a big drop in
BG values.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On 9/27/2013 9:59 PM, Todd wrote:

> Spices?!?!? Please elucidate! I'd love better tasting eggs!

IMO garlic is good on almost everything though I'm presently
making apple pies from the apples harvested on my place and I'm
not going to try it on that!

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:59:45 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> > That would be fine, assuming you are not allergic to eggs.

> Two eggs, I am okay. Three eggs and I want to puke. I think
> they are just too strong to eat a lot of them.

Actually that *might* work for me. At the time I took the
allergy test I was eating four eggs a day. Typically scrambled
with something like broccoli or bitter melon and potatoes. That was
my big meal. I was trying to avoid meat.

Acquired allergies build up if you eat allergenic foods. Now
I've been off them for two years, and I have ordered another
allergy test to find out how my allergies have changed.

> > I had no idea I had a problem with them except that I didn't
> > like them without spices. Then the ELISA test showed serious
> > problems with them, and eliminating them gave a big drop in
> > BG values.

> Allergies suck. :-(
>
> Spices?!?!? Please elucidate! I'd love better tasting eggs!

A lesson in spices is beyond the scope of this thread. Read
about spices, experiment, and find some you like. Things I
might use include soy sauce, jalapeno pepper, turmeric,
cayenne pepper, white pepper, fenugreek, and juniper berry.
Not all at the same time.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 22:54:38 -0500
outsider > wrote:

> On 9/27/2013 9:59 PM, Todd wrote:
>
> > Spices?!?!? Please elucidate! I'd love better tasting eggs!

> IMO garlic is good on almost everything though I'm presently
> making apple pies from the apples harvested on my place and I'm
> not going to try it on that!

I *was* using a lot of garlic, but the allergy test said "no!"

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On 09/29/2013 03:25 AM, Ellen K. wrote:
> Turmeric is very good on eggs. Plus it has its own health benefits.

Thank you