Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Of sweet things and flavored gasoline

Hi All,

Got to love the subject line. I really worked on it!

Okay, silliness aside, Her Thropyness bought me two
boxes of flavored Stevia: vanilla and passion flower.

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...kets_p_9.html#
http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...la-100-packets

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...kets_p_11.html
http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...on-100-packets

Disclaimer: I am use to the taste of Stevia and the gasoline
overtones don't bother me so much. If you are not use to it,
you may gag a bit.

This stevia is actually really good and natural: no sugar alcohols,
no maltodextrin (liar's glucose). The flavors are the real thing
too: no chemicals.

My favorite is the vanilla. I adore it in my Paleo cocoa.
I use it as a substitute for vanilla in my recipes. (I always
sweeten things when using vanilla, so this works perfectly.)
Although, the vanilla is rather strong -- try diluting it 1/2
and 1/2 with regular stevia. (They make a regular stevia too.)
I can't taste the stevia taste (gasoline) in this one.

I mixed the passion flower with melted butter to make a
berry topping. (This one have a "tiny" stevia/gasonline taste,
but does not bother me in the slightest.)

-T

Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

Hi All,

Got to love the subject line. I really worked on it!

Okay, silliness aside, Her Thropyness bought me two
boxes of flavored Stevia: vanilla and passion flower.

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...ia-Packets-Van
illa-Flavor--100-Packets_p_9.html#
http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...la-100-packets

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...ia-Packets-Pas
sion-Fruit-Flavor--100-Packets_p_11.html
[...]

I've grown stevia, and I don't understand this gasoline flavor of which
you speak. To me, habaneros have more of a petroleum flavor. Different
cultivars of stevia have different flavors to be sure from green leaf to
slight bitterness. Try growing some, and maybe you'll be happier with it.

Remember that old saying about gasoline and alcohol not mixing? Well
actually they do, it just tastes horrible ;O)
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/05/2013 10:18 AM, Billy wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

[...]

Hi Billy,

I think it has something to do with the process of making
it into a powder. Did you just crush the leaves?

-T

Remember that old saying about gasoline and alcohol not mixing? Well
actually they do, it just tastes horrible ;O)

:-)

Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...tevia-Packets-
[...]

Yeah, for baking, dry and crush. For drinks, I'll just add a fresh leaf.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/05/2013 10:40 AM, KROM wrote:
stevia to me tastes of bitter dirt and metal..its like you sweep up a
car repair shop and said eat this..lol

KROM

Laughed pretty hard!

This one is not as bad. You really have to try the vanilla one
in your hot cocoa. I wonder if the company will send out any
samples? That would save you from having to buy a whole box,
hating it, and giving the rest to relatives you don't like.
Vitacost is pretty cheap (see link above).

-T

Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
,
Billy wrote:

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...-Stevia-Packet
[...]

Amazon, and others, have them for about $4 each.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

the thing is if you read most stevia ingredients on the store shelves they
are 99 percent erythritol or xylitol and one percent stevia...

they do this to cover the bitter stevia.

so might as well just go pure erythritol or xylitol

KROM

"Todd" wrote ...

Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/04/2013 05:06 PM, Todd wrote:

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...kets_p_11.html
http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...on-100-packets

You guys got to try this one on your blueberries! No gasoline
taste either (when used with blueberries).

-T
Old 09-07-2013, 06:41 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

Got to love the subject line. I really worked on it!

Okay, silliness aside, Her Thropyness bought me two
boxes of flavored Stevia: vanilla and passion flower.

Cid Botanicals Real Paraguayan Stevia Packets, Vanilla Flavor - 100 Packets
Cid Botanicals Stevia Vanilla -- 100 Packets - Vitacost

Cid Botanicals Real Paraguayan Stevia Packets, Passion Fruit Flavor - 100 Packets
Cid Botanicals Stevia Passion -- 100 Packets - Vitacost

[...]

Well not sure how many more times I can explain these mysteries to hard headed folks..but will try one last time. Buy the Little Trophy Bride some Now Brand food grade glycerine. Do not get cute and try to buy the crap they sell at Wally World. It has the consistency of honey with 2/3 the sweetness level of table sugar. Triggers no malfunctions of the human body...and has no afterbite as is the custom of most sugar subs. Do not give blood glucose readings any room to work. Gives Trophies a smooth mouth so to speak..very good for skin too. Dont make me come up there. Thanks.

Search - Now Foods Vegetable Glycerine - iHerb.com

Old 12-07-2013, 02:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/08/2013 08:41 AM, Todd wrote:
On 07/04/2013 05:06 PM, Todd wrote:

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...kets_p_11.html

http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...on-100-packets

You guys got to try this one on your blueberries! No gasoline
taste either (when used with blueberries).

-T

And in your tea (cuppa). What a treat!
Old 12-07-2013, 03:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Packets' (http://tinyurl.com/ng6nwcx)

100 Packets' (http://tinyurl.com/p8gnmjv)
[...]

(http://tinyurl.com/nvlxk2f)

Hi Bigwheel,

Pretty funny stuff! :-)

You missed my point. The flavored stevia above has flavoring that
you can't otherwise get without weird chemicals. Have you ever
read the ingredients on vanilla extract? Anyone for a shot of
radiator fluid?

The vanilla above has no radiator fluid (ethylene glycol), liar's
glucose (maltodextrin), excitotoxins (also maltodextrin), etc..
It is pure and natural.

Okay, I do realize that ALL "real" men gargle with radiator
fluid in the morning, but ...

Okay, now for glycerin (A.K.A. glycerol, glycerine). This
sugar alcohol has a glycemic index (GI) of five [1]. It has
27 calories (kcals) per teaspoon [2] and is 60% as sweet as
sucrose [2]. Or, 45 calories for the same amount of sweetness
as a teaspoon of sucrose.

So far so good. Problem: with a GI of 5 and that high an
amount of carbohydrate calories, the glycemic load (GL) must
be through the roof. (I searched for the GL of glycerol, but
couldn't find it.) Basically it is the gift that keeps on
giving. Or, as some call it: the pizza effect.

Glycerol may be just fine for me, but until my long journey
to "drug free" and a sufficient period of stability ensues,
I am going to avoid high GL foods. I may avoid high GL
foods for the rest of my life. (As a "paleolithic man"
I am suppose to fuel load with fat, not carbs.)

Who knows, when time comes for me to get brave, I may be
so use to stevia that a real sweetener may taste funny
to me. I could always add a squirt of charcoal lighter
starter fluid. And "we" know that "real" men garble
with charcoal lighter starter fluid before bedtime.
Right?

Sugar alcohols typically give me stomach cramps and
make me fart, so I avoid them. But this one, I am fine
with in herbal tinctures. So, maybe...

Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it. Someday
I may actually get brave enough. :-)

The "Little Trophy Bride" says "Hi!".

-T

1)
http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/11/2013 8:26 PM, Todd wrote:
On 07/08/2013 08:41 AM, Todd wrote:
On 07/04/2013 05:06 PM, Todd wrote:

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...kets_p_11.html

http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...on-100-packets

You guys got to try this one on your blueberries! No gasoline
taste either (when used with blueberries).

-T

And in your tea (cuppa). What a treat!

The Texas grocery chain Central Market packages a stevia that is
awesome. It's in crystal form, like sugar. No off taste at all.

I've tried other brands and threw them out.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/06/2013 09:55 AM, KROM wrote:
the thing is if you read most stevia ingredients on the store shelves
they are 99 percent erythritol or xylitol and one percent stevia...

they do this to cover the bitter stevia.

so might as well just go pure erythritol or xylitol

KROM

Hi KROM,

I hear you. Sugar Alcohols give me stomach cramps and
make me fart. (Not an admission that I fart.) Add to that:
liar's glucose (maltodextrin) and glucose/dextrose. No
wonder it tastes sweet. (Maltodextrin in not actually
that sweet even thought it is a long chain glucose molecule.)

This one takes pains to be natural. The ingredients:

Inulin fiber
stevia leaf extract
natural flavors
vanilla extract
silica.

Their propaganda sheet:
http://www.cidbotanicals.com/assets/...ll%20Sheet.pdf

You have got to try the vanilla in your paleo hot cocoa!

-T

Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/11/2013 07:14 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 7/11/2013 8:26 PM, Todd wrote:
On 07/08/2013 08:41 AM, Todd wrote:
On 07/04/2013 05:06 PM, Todd wrote:

http://www.cidbotanicals.com/Cid-Bot...kets_p_11.html

http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...on-100-packets

You guys got to try this one on your blueberries! No gasoline
taste either (when used with blueberries).

-T

And in your tea (cuppa). What a treat!

The Texas grocery chain Central Market packages a stevia that is
awesome. It's in crystal form, like sugar. No off taste at all.

What was its name?

And, what were the other ingredients?

I had one once that tasted pretty much like sugar. It
contained dextrose (glucose). No wonder it tasted like
sugar. IT WAS SUGAR!

I've tried other brands and threw them out.

I hear you. Trader Joe's has a 100% powder. Tried it.
Regretted it. It was h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e! Got over it.

-T