Old 30-05-2013, 04:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Exploding pills?

This is a strange one. I do up our pills, two weeks at time in those
oversized boxes with sliding tops that are marked off for 4 times of the
day. I keep mine near the computer and Angela's were here too but hers were
in a bad place and kept getting knocked off. So I put them on top of the
little refrigerator. It is not actually in the kitchen proper but at the
edge of it, under a piece of countertop that sticks out into the dining
room. On the other side of it is the laundry room.

Angela takes Colestipol which is a cholesterol med. She does not take it
for that reason. It is off label for the problems that her Glumetza
(Metformin) is causing her.

I noticed last night that some of the Colestipol pills had a split down the
side. Some but not all. Then by this morning, they were split wide open.
And now? It's as though they exploded from within. They are still split
but are HUGE!

I did have something like this happen before with some L Carnitine tablets.
Then I read on the bottle that they must not be removed from the original
bottle or this would happen. This didn't work for me so I switched to the
capsule kind.

I just called the pharmacy. I should have known better. Was just there to
get my own refill and was waited on by an Asian woman who not only is slow
but doesn't speak English well. I had difficulty understanding her but it
was worse on the phone.

She told me that maybe it involved moisturizer in the bathroom. Uh huh. I
think she meant moisture and I know enough not to put pills in there.

I haven't done anything in my kitchen or laundry room in the past few days
that would have caused excess moisture. I did cook green beans and rice the
other day. But the rice had a lid on it and there was only 1/2 a cup of
water in the beans.

So... Has anyone else had a problem like this? The pharmacist didn't know
and said that she would have the head pharmacist call me tomorrow. They did
switch to a different brand and some of the pills appear to be harder than
the others. These appeared to be rather soft from the start and they're
HUGE! So I don't know if she could even take the exploded ones because of
the size and I don't know if it would be safe to take.

Old 30-05-2013, 06:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Are they anywhere near a leaky microwave oven?

Old 30-05-2013, 10:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Not near the microwave. It's new and I don't think it leaks.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 11:08:25 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I have had the same problem and my pills have not been near or exposed to moisture. It really freaked me out. I haven't yet taken them back to the pharmacy but I do intend to over the weekend. They are still in the original bottle they came in so I have no explanation as to why this would happen. Weird.

Ten Pills Brooklyn1 General Cooking 1 04-08-2015 08:38 PM
Exploding Intestines [email protected] General Cooking 3 27-01-2013 04:02 PM
Exploding Water (again) Derek Tea 9 25-02-2005 04:44 PM
help: exploding loaf while proofing Jonathan Kandell Sourdough 4 05-09-2004 12:05 AM