bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
thinking of growing them this year.)

While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

Many thanks,
-T
Several ways to do it. Charred and blistered on an open flame works well such as with gas bbq grill then throw them in a paper sack and seal them up right quick. After a bit they start steaming themselves the skin gets slimey and the pepper gets slimey and it peels off sorta..lol. Same trick can be done with a propane hand torch. Here is link showing how to do it in an electric oven. Now once they turn red they turn themselves into Ancho's. What color is yours? They are wonderful as a topping for baked potatoes. Not that folks in this section seem to be able to eat such stuff. Throw some on your burger or sandwich. Very good like that too. Indispensable for good cheesy squash casseroles..homininy casseroles..green chili..green enchiladas..stews etc etc. Might be good with chocolate cake..just aint tried it..lol.

Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers

Last edited by bigwheel : 23-05-2013 at 10:49 PM