Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Lamb revisited

Hi Guys,

After my last truly horrific attempt at lamb, I thought
I no longer liked lamb. (One of you's recommended I feed
it to a dog. Cracked me up pretty good.)

This was unfortunate as I had a few shoulder cuts in the
freezer that I got on sale.

not to loose hope. I got luck at Raley's and got a chatty
butcher. He told me the following.

1) the foul taste and odor is the "gamey" taste
you get with wild meats. Consider Lamb to
be a wild meat.

2) wild meat cooks in half the time as domestic meat,
such as beef. Flip it when the juice appears on
the top.

3) cut as much fat off as you can (NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!)
as a lot of the gamey flavor is in the fat.

4) don't use garlic (NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!! times two), as it
brings out the gamey taste.

5) use only salt, pepper, and maybe some rosemary
(REDEMPTION!!!!!).

So, in the pan they went with s&p&r and EVOO, no garlic,
and flipped them at 3 minutes when the juice just appeared.

And guess what. I like Lamb again! YIPEE!!! It was just
"MY" lamb I did not like. (Oh the humiliation.)

Oh, don't get the shoulder cuts. They are mostly bone
and more expensive per pound of meat than the better
cuts, even on sale.

-T

If I wrote "lamp" for "lamb", no jokes, unless they
are funny.