Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default lamb Breast Revisited

I was at HEB today and bought the cryovac package of two breasts for 99
cents a pound. It was just about 10 pounds (2 5-pound slabs)

I have a big-ass gas grill with 6 burners named "Grillzilla" and I often
use it for offset cooking and smoking with chunks wrapped in foil. I
purchased some foil pans to use as a drip pan for the lamb breast and
intend to rub it well with a garlic and rosemary rub and use some
hickory chunks for the smoke.

Question is: at what temperature should I have the interior of the grill
and how long should it take to cook the lamb breasts.

TIA,

Janet
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.food.fast-food

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Question is: at what temperature should I have the interior of the grill
> and how long should it take to cook the lamb breasts.

The one I did last weekend was for 4.5 hours at an average of 270F
at the dome, which would be 245F at the rack where it was placed
(with a 7.2lb rack of pork spares dripping from above). I took it
off at 167F internal and I think it was perfect.

Yours sound a little fattier than mine so pit temp probably won't
matter much - just go by internal temp and all should be well.

Do they say "Product of U.S."? Then they were probably from the
Cabrito Market in Mission, TX.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Question is: at what temperature should I have the interior of the grill
>> and how long should it take to cook the lamb breasts.

> The one I did last weekend was for 4.5 hours at an average of 270F
> at the dome, which would be 245F at the rack where it was placed
> (with a 7.2lb rack of pork spares dripping from above). I took it
> off at 167F internal and I think it was perfect.
>
> Yours sound a little fattier than mine so pit temp probably won't
> matter much - just go by internal temp and all should be well.
>
> Do they say "Product of U.S."? Then they were probably from the
> Cabrito Market in Mission, TX.
>
> -sw

Cabrito? They were definitely lamb not goat <vbg> I don't recall where
they were from. There were two breasts packaged in cryovac for 99 cents
per pound at HEB.

Interesting about the origin of meat. Today I bought some beautiful rib
eyes at Sam's Club and the label said "product of Canada, Mexico, United
States" Those steers sure got around!

Thanks for the time and temp info. I'll report back when I do one.

Lamb revisited Todd Diabetic 0 11-05-2013 01:36 AM
The Lamb Breast Janet Wilder[_3_] Barbecue 12 05-03-2009 07:41 PM
Lamb Breast Sqwertz Barbecue 14 24-02-2009 02:52 AM
Smoking lamb breast anyone? Sqwertz Barbecue 3 16-04-2008 06:03 AM