Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Fresh cod!

Here, it's the season for Skrei[0] - fresh cod, coming from the Arctic Ocean
to the coast of North Norway to spawn. They arrive in large numbers, thanks
to conservation efforts that have built up the stocks again. Fresh fish is
airlifted to us poor southerners, and I think also elsewhere in the world -
le Skrei was introduced in France a year or so ago. And it is NOT farmed :-)

Anyway - a very nice way to prepare it using fillets - about 800 g:

Start by making a fauxtato mash, keep it warm.
Grate zest of 1 lemon.

Take out seeds from half a pomegranate, chop 2 stalks of leaf parsley.

Dissolve 5 tbsp salt in 1 liter water, soak fillets for 15 minutes,
drain and wipe on kitchen paper.

Slice 100 g of chorizo sausage (I don't like spicy food so I used bratwurst
instead).

Fry in oil a skillet with skin side down, medium heat. 3-4 minutes,
transfer to a greased pan, skin side up, 3-4 minutes more in a 200 C oven.
(Translation to primitive measures left to the reader.)

Keep the fat in the skillet, fry the chorizo slices. Mix chorizo with
parsley, pomegranate seeds and lemon zest

Put a fauxtato "bed" on each plate, top with chorizo mix, and put a fish
fillet on top.

Cod is a fish that goes well with red wine ...

(This was served at the celebration of my daughter-in-law's PhD and we found
the recipe later.)

[0] "Skrei" is derived from an old verb, skriða - to travel. The Skrei
travels from the Arctic to the Lofoten islands and points north, the
fisheries last for a month or so,

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
[...]

: [0] "Skrei" is derived from an old verb, skri?a - to travel. The Skrei
: travels from the Arctic to the Lofoten islands and points north, the
: fisheries last for a month or so,

First, Congratuations on your daughter's achieving her PhD. What field is
she in?

The recipe sounds good. I have a problem about cod, which used to be a
very chep fish over 70 years ago when I ws a child and is was alwasy given
to children because it did not have a strong flavor and it wsa
inexpensive. Now my biologist son still maintains that it is grossly
endangered so I shoudl not buy it, even thoght there are controls on
fishing in New England and up into Canada. some ships hang around just
outside the 200 mile limit and still over-fish. Perhaps your Norwegian
cod are a different strain so the are more abundant and can be safely (for
the cod ) fised seasonally.

I wwoul dlove to be able tobuy cod to use in dishes like what my kids call
Delicious fish soup< a kind of Italian tommato, vegetables, fish and a bit
of cheese soup that is really a kind of stew and makes a great dinner. I
will make it with Pollack if I can find it or other plain white fish. I
don't know if tilapia wold work.

Delicious Fish Soup(measurements are not critical)

Olive oil for frying
1 1/2 C coasrely chopped onion
3/4 C green pepper3 cloves garlis pressed or very finely chopped
28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes
1 C water(use to rinse the tomato can:-)
1C white (or any left over) dry wine
2 C diced peeled potatoes(can use less if you want)
1Tsp(at least) fennel seed
Salt and FGBP to taste
Oregono, thyme and basil to taste(minimum 1 Tsp)
2 lbs white fish like Haddock, cod, ollack, etc, whatever is lest
expensive
Parigiano grated cheese to taste

in the soup pot, soft saute the onions garlic and greenpepper in olive
oil. Add tomatos, water wine potatoes, fennel seedand salat and pepper.
Simmer about 30 mins. Now, if you are going to eat all the soup on one
night(4 people for a meal-more for a first course) add all the herbs and
the fish cut in largish cubes and cook only until the fish is just
cooked,about 10 mins. Serve in bowls with plentyof parmgiano cheese
sprinkled on top.

If you are not going to eat it all at once, but want it for several
nights. divide the soup you won't be eatng into contaiers and
refrigerate. dAdd onpy a proportion of the herbs and fish to the soup
still in the pot and cook just until the fish is done. The next night use
a container of soup and add the proportion of fish and herbs and cook just
until the fish is cooked. If you do all the fish and then save it for a
later night, it comes out too fishy tasting and looses its delicious
quality.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> I love using chorizo as a flavoring for shellfish, and your recipe sounds
> really tasty!
>
> Only thing you left out that I'd find imperative is the step where you
> candle the cod and pick out the worms... I'm told by fish experts that
> they're always there, coiled up.
>
> Susan

I'm having a hard time with most fish these days, except Salmon. I just
don't care for it as much as I used to, and won't eat fish that my dh
catches at all. I do fix it for him though. I don't know why it became off
putting to me, maybe something to do with changing tastes, since I do like
some things now that I hated before.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Here, it's the season for Skrei[0] - fresh cod, coming from the Arctic
> : Ocean to the coast of North Norway to spawn. They arrive in large
> : numbers, thanks to conservation efforts that have built up the stocks
> : again. Fresh fish is airlifted to us poor southerners, and I think also
> : elsewhere in the world - le Skrei was introduced in France a year or so
> : ago. And it is NOT farmed :-)

(snip)

> First, Congratuations on your daughter's achieving her PhD. What field is
> she in?

Medicine, like her husband. She's in Ob-Gyn. he's a surgeon.

> fishing in New England and up into Canada. some ships hang around just
> outside the 200 mile limit and still over-fish. Perhaps your Norwegian
> cod are a different strain so the are more abundant and can be safely (for
> the cod ) fised seasonally.

Different cod populations, yes - the Grand Banks population collapsed and
may be on its way back? The east Atlantic stock was also declining due to
pverfishing, for once the fishermen listened to the scientist and the stock
is once more abundant. (On a side note, Norwegian lobster catchers are
finally doing like their North American colleagues and releasing female
lobsters ...)

> I wwoul dlove to be able tobuy cod to use in dishes like what my kids call
> Delicious fish soup< a kind of Italian tommato, vegetables, fish and a bit
> of cheese soup that is really a kind of stew and makes a great dinner. I
> will make it with Pollack if I can find it or other plain white fish. I
> don't know if tilapia wold work.
>
> Delicious Fish Soup(measurements are not critical)
>
> Olive oil for frying
> 1 1/2 C coasrely chopped onion
> 3/4 C green pepper3 cloves garlis pressed or very finely chopped
> 28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes
> 1 C water(use to rinse the tomato can:-)
> 1C white (or any left over) dry wine
> 2 C diced peeled potatoes(can use less if you want)
> 1Tsp(at least) fennel seed
> Salt and FGBP to taste
> Oregono, thyme and basil to taste(minimum 1 Tsp)
> 2 lbs white fish like Haddock, cod, ollack, etc, whatever is lest
> expensive
> Parigiano grated cheese to taste
>
> in the soup pot, soft saute the onions garlic and greenpepper in olive
> oil. Add tomatos, water wine potatoes, fennel seedand salat and pepper.
> Simmer about 30 mins. Now, if you are going to eat all the soup on one
> night(4 people for a meal-more for a first course) add all the herbs and
> the fish cut in largish cubes and cook only until the fish is just
> cooked,about 10 mins. Serve in bowls with plentyof parmgiano cheese
> sprinkled on top.
>
> If you are not going to eat it all at once, but want it for several
> nights. divide the soup you won't be eatng into contaiers and
> refrigerate. dAdd onpy a proportion of the herbs and fish to the soup
> still in the pot and cook just until the fish is done. The next night use
> a container of soup and add the proportion of fish and herbs and cook just
> until the fish is cooked. If you do all the fish and then save it for a
> later night, it comes out too fishy tasting and looses its delicious
> quality.
>
> Wendy

Thanks, Wendy, saved!

For some reason haddock is hard to find in stores, but can be had at the
harbor where a boat or two sells fresh caught shrimp and whatever side
catches of fish they get ...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> I wwoul dlove to be able tobuy cod to use in dishes like what my kids call
> Delicious fish soup< a kind of Italian tommato, vegetables, fish and a bit
> of cheese soup that is really a kind of stew and makes a great dinner. I
> will make it with Pollack if I can find it or other plain white fish. I
> don't know if tilapia wold work.
>
> Delicious Fish Soup(measurements are not critical)
>
> Olive oil for frying
> 1 1/2 C coasrely chopped onion
> 3/4 C green pepper3 cloves garlis pressed or very finely chopped
> 28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes
> 1 C water(use to rinse the tomato can:-)
> 1C white (or any left over) dry wine
> 2 C diced peeled potatoes(can use less if you want)
> 1Tsp(at least) fennel seed
> Salt and FGBP to taste
> Oregono, thyme and basil to taste(minimum 1 Tsp)
> 2 lbs white fish like Haddock, cod, ollack, etc, whatever is lest
> expensive
> Parigiano grated cheese to taste
>
> in the soup pot, soft saute the onions garlic and greenpepper in olive
> oil. Add tomatos, water wine potatoes, fennel seedand salat and pepper.
> Simmer about 30 mins. Now, if you are going to eat all the soup on one
> night(4 people for a meal-more for a first course) add all the herbs and
> the fish cut in largish cubes and cook only until the fish is just
> cooked,about 10 mins. Serve in bowls with plentyof parmgiano cheese
> sprinkled on top.
>
> If you are not going to eat it all at once, but want it for several
> nights. divide the soup you won't be eatng into contaiers and
> refrigerate. dAdd onpy a proportion of the herbs and fish to the soup
> still in the pot and cook just until the fish is done. The next night use
> a container of soup and add the proportion of fish and herbs and cook just
> until the fish is cooked. If you do all the fish and then save it for a
> later night, it comes out too fishy tasting and looses its delicious
> quality.
>
> Wendy

This is a beautiful recipe, thanks for posting it.

I'd like to try it with some fresh fennel, a small bulb worth,
sliced into the broth with the onions and such. It would give
you very nice flavor and a bit more crunch in the body of the
soup. Possibly then diminish or eliminate the fennel seeds.
And you might add a pinch of saffron, nudging it toward
a Bouillabaisse flavor. Or use a bottle or so of clam juice
to replace some of the water. This is a neat recipe to
play around with. Definitely Delicious.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: >
[...]

this soup/stew is not fussy about the kind of fish. It just does not need
to be a highly flavorful one as it has quite a lot of flavors on its own,
so plain , rahter dull(and what used to be cheap) fish work well.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

pavane > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Not only delicious but quite fast for soup of stew. Less than an hour and
it's done from start to finish! The Fennel should be good, but I actually
like those fennel seeds, which get a bit soft in the soup(notice they are
put ina an early stage). This probably was developed as a quick and dirty
verson of either B
Bouillabasse or an Italian chioppino. For me it is ideal because I don't
eat shellfish with usually is a big part of these Mediterainian soups.

Wendy