Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Fresh Pork... and I mean FRESH! Which cut?

Ok, real stoopid question here... friends of mine are doing a pig roast.
Puchased a whole hog, but had it quartered. Basically, cut in half, then
split each half down the middle of the ribs.

They want me to smoke one of the sections... I'm curious what to use? Front
shoulder or rear quarter(which one?), and cut the ribs away first? Or maybe
just cut the ribs away all around, and just smoke those for them instead?

Picking it up off them later today, so any help here soon would be great!

Thanks!
Shawn

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
> Ok, real stoopid question here... friends of mine are doing a pig roast.
> Puchased a whole hog, but had it quartered. Basically, cut in half, then
> split each half down the middle of the ribs.
>
> They want me to smoke one of the sections... I'm curious what to use?
> Front shoulder or rear quarter(which one?), and cut the ribs away first?
> Or maybe just cut the ribs away all around, and just smoke those for them
> instead?
>
> Picking it up off them later today, so any help here soon would be great!

Sounds more like a parts of a pig roast. How big was the pig? If a small
one, it is probably tender, but if it was 240 pounds or more, you have
different things going on with toughness. Usually, the hind section is more
tender than the front shoulder. If you choose the front, it will take
longer to break down the collagen and tenderize. I'd remove the ribs and do
them separate. The rear leg makes good ham. How about bacon?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
> Ok, real stoopid question here... friends of mine are doing a pig roast.
> Puchased a whole hog, but had it quartered. Basically, cut in half, then
> split each half down the middle of the ribs.
>
> They want me to smoke one of the sections... I'm curious what to use?
> Front shoulder or rear quarter(which one?), and cut the ribs away first?
> Or maybe just cut the ribs away all around, and just smoke those for them
> instead?
>
> Picking it up off them later today, so any help here soon would be great!

front shoulder for about 18hrs or so--save the ribs for another cook.
anyway that is what I'd do

--
Buzz
2fat Bikers bbq

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "43fan" > wrote in message
>> Ok, real stoopid question here... friends of mine are doing a pig roast.
>> Puchased a whole hog, but had it quartered. Basically, cut in half, then
>> split each half down the middle of the ribs.
>>
>> They want me to smoke one of the sections... I'm curious what to use?
>> Front shoulder or rear quarter(which one?), and cut the ribs away first?
>> Or maybe just cut the ribs away all around, and just smoke those for them
>> instead?
>>
>> Picking it up off them later today, so any help here soon would be great!
>>

> Sounds more like a parts of a pig roast. How big was the pig? If a small
> one, it is probably tender, but if it was 240 pounds or more, you have
> different things going on with toughness. Usually, the hind section is
> more tender than the front shoulder. If you choose the front, it will
> take longer to break down the collagen and tenderize. I'd remove the ribs
> and do them separate. The rear leg makes good ham. How about bacon?

Pretty small, 'round 100lbs(had to be before dressed)... I got the one front
shoulder, in the smoker now. When my buddy cut it, he ended up taking the
shoulder off pretty close, instead of giving me the whole shoulder back to
the ribs, actually, I should say, I now have the shoulder, and the leg...
two pieces... only about 7-8lbs total between the two, that's why I say the
pig had to be 100lbs or less before dressed.

We'll see how it turns out...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> We'll see how it turns out...

Just reading the thread, I have baited breath.... How did it turn out?

I would have suggested carving the ribs out and cooking them until done.
And then the other thick pieces until an internal T of around 169 or so.

Come back 43.....fill in the blanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JakBQuik" > wrote in message

>> We'll see how it turns out...

> Just reading the thread, I have baited breath.... How did it turn out?
>
> I would have suggested carving the ribs out and cooking them until done.
> And then the other thick pieces until an internal T of around 169 or so.
>
> Come back 43.....fill in the blanks.

Man... it was great! I just did the front shoulder... they kept the ribs.
After the lady tasted my pulled pork, she said they should've just given me
the whole hog to do... *lol* Actually took the temp to around 175, seems to
me it's more tender then... maybe a touch drier though, but it sure falls
off the bone. I kinda rushed it though, but it was being compared to the
rest of the pig done in a pit, everything wrapped in foil. I don't quite
understand that, other than the enjoyment of sitting around the fire, it was
pretty much the same thing as if they'd have put it in the oven, ya know?
*shrug*

I did up the baked beans for 'em too, just added a little of this and that
to a big can of Bush's beans, then put 'em in the smoker directly under the
pork... get those juices falling into the pan. I knew most of them would
want some kind of sauce, so I made my homemade bbq sauce, that was a big hit
as well.

They have another hog they're buying, gonna get it cut up differently. I
figure I'll end up getting the ribs and a shoulder or two outta that after
they tasted the others. I'm kinda trying to get some word of mouth going
and maybe start doing a little catering for small parties like that. *shrug*

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:14:33 GMT, "JakBQuik" >
wrote:

>Just reading the thread, I have baited breath.

You'll get kissed more often if you stick to bated breath, instead.

--
"Danked," the past participle of "dank", is used to refer to someone
who replies to his own post on an online forum posing as another person

a breath of fresh air (fresh kielbasa~!) into alt.BREGS Bread Basket[_11_] Barbecue 1 09-09-2015 07:44 PM
Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork) Sqwertz General Cooking 36 11-05-2010 03:53 PM
Go Fresh Produce, Inc., Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Sulfites in Go Fresh Dried Fruit Mix Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-05-2004 01:33 AM
16 lb Fresh pork Ham Fred Baking 3 01-01-2004 09:22 PM
Fresh Pork Ham Fred General Cooking 5 31-12-2003 08:51 PM