Old 31-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Petey the Wonder Dog

Default How to keep fresh basil fresh?

About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.

I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
for a few days to a week.

Anyone?

Old 31-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Paul M. Cook©®

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.

I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
for a few days to a week.

You can't. Tie a string to the ends and hang it up in a warm dry place. A
quick whirr in a food processor and you have fresh, dry basil.

Paul

Old 31-08-2004, 10:58 PM
PENMART01

"Paul M. Kook" writes:

"Petey the Dog" wrote:
About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.

I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
for a few days to a week.

You can't.

Freshly picked (unwashed) basil will keep quite nicely in a zip-loc in the
fridge for about a week.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Old 31-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Hal Laurent

"PENMART01" wrote in message
"Petey the Dog" wrote:
About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.

I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it

fresh
for a few days to a week.

Freshly picked (unwashed) basil will keep quite nicely in a zip-loc in the
fridge for about a week.

Wrap a paper towel around it before putting it into the bag helps.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Old 01-09-2004, 03:26 AM
sergio sbigfive

I use quite a bit of basil, during the summer and fall it is not a problem,
but here in Wisconsin it is hard to keep a plant alive,
During the season, when there's a lots of leaves, I pick them and I chop
them up in a food processor with some olive oil and to keep them looking
green I add a few spinach leaves ( Chlorophyll ), I put them in freezer bags
lay them flat in the freezer ( about 1/4 to 3/8 thick )and when I need some
basil I unzip the bag and break off a chunk of basil, It is better than the
dried one.
If I want some pesto I defrost one bag, chop some nut meat or pinoli add
some garlic salt mix it in the food processor and add the defrosted basil
last, here is where the spinach do make it green
Sergio

Old 01-09-2004, 04:25 AM
[email protected]

Firstly, early every Spring, plant your own basil in two or three
pots.... set them out in the sun near you kitchen door at the last sign
of frost .. if you're an apartment dweller, keep them inside by the
kitchen window....failing this....keeping them in a glass of cool water
is second best. As for storing them for the winter......pull the leaves
from the stems, then rinse in cold water thoroughly and GENTLY pat as
much moisture from the leaves as possible...spread them on a long sheet
of saran,,,,,roll up the saran and fold in the sides as you go...seal in
a small baggie removing all the air and freeze....when you want them for
sauce, salad ect..unroll saran and remove desired amt and reroll and
seal and return to freezer....tastes as fresh as the day it was
picked....adding oil to basil if it not used within a few weeks results
in a dank musty taste similar to puting chopped garlic in oil...yuk.....

http://community.webtv.net/R-J-Q/FIRSTANNUALALLYEAR

http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal555/index.html

Old 01-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Nexis

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.

I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
for a few days to a week.

Anyone?

I simply put it in a small jelly jar, like flowers, with some warm water.
Don't put it in the fridge, just set it on the counter. Just take the leaves
as you need them...the rest will be fine for a week or two...or more.

kimberly

Old 01-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Rick & Cyndi

"Nexis" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.

I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
for a few days to a week.

Anyone?

I simply put it in a small jelly jar, like flowers, with some warm water.
Don't put it in the fridge, just set it on the counter. Just take the
leaves
as you need them...the rest will be fine for a week or two...or more.

kimberly

========

It's obviously too early for me to playing on here today... I read that as
"...in a SMELLY jar..."

LOL

Cyndi